Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stopping the creeping door

We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14
years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it
creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob.
Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on
another door to my den some 10 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:03:46 -0700, "W. eWatson"
wrote:

We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14
years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it
creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob.
Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on
another door to my den some 10 years ago.

Couple of thoughts:

- using a six foot level at least

- check the hinge side(s) for vertical

- use a shim behind a hinge to bring the hinge out

- remove a center hinge screw, drive a longer (3.5") screw in to pull
the door inward. (center screw hole is best Imo)

levels, square, plumb bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2013 2:03 PM, W. eWatson wrote:
We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14
years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it
creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob.
Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on
another door to my den some 10 years ago.

Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each
one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the
pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go
overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now
replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:41:33 -0500, IGot2P wrote:

Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each
one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the
pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go
overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now
replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).

Don

True, but that is just a Band-Aid for a swinging door. Creates
friction but does not fix the problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

my girl friend didnt like our squeaking door so she lubed it with vegetable oil.....

dead quiet, but the door became self closing......

that lasted a month, the oil must have of vaporised.

no squeak and the door no longer closes itself

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14
years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it
creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob.
Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on
another door to my den some 10 years ago.

Buy a rubber doorstop, or cut a wooden one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:53:22 PM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:41:33 -0500, IGot2P wrote:
Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each
one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the
pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go
overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now
replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).
Don

True, but that is just a Band-Aid for a swinging door. Creates
friction but does not fix the problem.

Pedantic: Yes it does fix the problem. Door stays open. I does not fix the _cause_ of the problem

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
We have an ordinary door between the kitchen and laundry room. It's 14
years old. My wife recently noticed when the door is fully open that it
creeps closed. Probably 20 degrees or so. Three hinges and a door knob.
Is there some technique to keep it stationary? I tried unsuccessfully on
another door to my den some 10 years ago.

Buy a rubber doorstop, or cut a wooden one.

Duct tape?

Not unless you use WD40 with it. both together will fix anything.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:53:22 PM UTC-7, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:41:33 -0500, IGot2P wrote:
Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each
one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the
pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go
overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now
replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).
Don

True, but that is just a Band-Aid for a swinging door. Creates
friction but does not fix the problem.

Pedantic: Yes it does fix the problem. Door stays open. I does not fix
the _cause_ of the problem

Harry K

....and sometimes that is all that is required.
Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a new product called the DoorStay. You take out the middle or upper hinge pin and put the DoorStay pin and adjust it until the desired resistance is reached.
Really simple and only takes a couple of minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob(but not THAT Bob)" wrote:
wrote:

There is a new product called the DoorStay. You take out the middle or
upper hinge pin and put the DoorStay pin and adjust it until the desired
resistance is reached.
Really simple and only takes a couple of minutes.

Even simpler:

"Rather than resetting the hinges or propping it open with a potted
plant, remove one of the hinge pins, lay it on a hard surface, and
strike it lightly with a hammer until the hinge pin has a slight bend.
Tap the pin back in place. The increased friction will keep the door
where you want it."

http://lifehacker.com/5370908/hammer...s-from-closing

Simpler? Yes. Same result? Not necessarily.

I read up on the device. You can set the exact pressure that you want by
adjusting the "nut". The resulting pressure from bending the hinge pin is
hit or miss. Pun intended.

I'm not saying that we should all run out and buy one, but it does have its
merits, even if the promoters are spamming usenet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, November 1, 2013 1:53:22 PM UTC-7, Oren wrote:

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 15:41:33 -0500, IGot2P wrote:

Do it the easy way. Punch out one or more hinge pins and then lay each

one across two 16 penny nails or similar (one nail under each end of the

pin) and then hit the pin in the center with a hammer. Don't go

overboard, just a little bend in the pin will probably do it. Now

replace the pin(s) in the hinge(s).

Don

True, but that is just a Band-Aid for a swinging door. Creates

friction but does not fix the problem.

Pedantic: Yes it does fix the problem. Door stays open. I does not fix the _cause_ of the problem

Harry K

And, then what G?

Then _nothing_ as the problem has been solved. Did you expect anything else? Why would you?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, what is the problem with the door anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry W wrote:
So, what is the problem with the door anyway?

There is no specific problem. Just a spamming post about a solution. Read
the OP.

creeping gutters again... Spamlet UK diy 22 October 5th 10 01:41 PM
creeping charlie cj Home Repair 10 August 13th 08 09:45 PM
I was pulling barbers to blank Jessica, who's creeping over the farmer's summer. John McWilliams Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 08:55 AM
Slant-Eyed Chinks and Gooks, for Elizabeth the floor's handsome, around me it's long, whereas at you it's creeping wet, Moronic Speedfreak. Lionel Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 05:25 AM
Lower half vertical of one interlaced field creeping up GDM-1952 Glynn R. Electronics Repair 4 March 20th 05 09:21 AM