Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default creeping charlie

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both? thanks, cj

Here's a nice article on how to control your pest.
http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/champa...rs/060601.html
April - June appears to be the ideal time.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:57:14 -0400, cj wrote:

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Don't let it take over. If spraying in the autumn is supposed to do
any good at all, I'd spray both times. What do you plan to spray
with?

I think creeping charlie is the reason my little yard used to be flat
and now is bumpy. Much of the stuff grew along the wall, so I didn't
worry about it much, easy to rip out, but I think it was also growing
in other directions.

You can rip out long "underground stems", I forget what the real name
is (rhysomes?), if the ground is soft enough, but often they break in
no more than 6 feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:57:14 -0400, cj wrote:

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

I don't know because I embrace it. The bees love it, it smells great
when you mow it, and it makes a good medicinal tea high in vitamin C.

To me the epitome of summer is lying in a bed of 'Wild Thyme', as I
have always [apparently incorrectly] called it and watching clouds.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a 2,4D based product and read the directions. It should say something
like "Spray at any time that the plant is actively growing"

"cj" wrote in message
is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote:
is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

creeping Charlie?
First lay down some suppressive fire with the machine guns, and then drop
the agent orange!

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Clark" wrote:

cj wrote:
is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

creeping Charlie?
First lay down some suppressive fire with the machine guns, and then drop
the agent orange!

Clark...

Machine guns? You must mean quad fifties. Agent orange in an herbicide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Clark" wrote:

cj wrote:
is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

creeping Charlie?
First lay down some suppressive fire with the machine guns, and then drop
the agent orange!

Clark...

Machine guns? You must mean quad fifties. Agent orange in an herbicide.

I have the same problem. One or two of the better weed killers
claims to work and web sites mention borax water spray.

I've tried them all without any success.....

Maybe Roundup brushed onto a few of the leaves?????

paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

cj wrote in :

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Is that the one with the psychedelic blue flowers in the early spring? The
whole patch looks radioactive then?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:56:31 GMT, Anagram
wrote:

cj wrote in :

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Is that the one with the psychedelic blue flowers in the early spring? The
whole patch looks radioactive then?

I don't think my CCharlie has any flowers at all. It's a vine, right,
and that's not unusual for vines, iiuc.

I now also have English Ivy, that finally reached my front door from
the woods, and it's a lot prettier. I've been weeding out other weeds
where the English ivy grows and they don't seem to come back. I may
let it grow over the part near the front door that doesn't get much
sunlight because it's on the north side of the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

cj wrote in :

is taking over my lawn. would it be best to spray this autum or next
sring? or both?
thanks, cj

Is that the one with the psychedelic blue flowers in the early spring? The
whole patch looks radioactive then?

That might be 'creeping veronica'.