Posted to alt.home.repair

Default insulation recommendations?

Evening,

I purchased a 12'x16' structure (shed). I have paid the builder to
insulate the floor as part of the construction. I need to insulate
the walls and gambrel roof. The three things I'm considering are
fiberglass (pink) batts, rigid foam, and spray foam. The first to
I can do myself. The third I would like to do myself, but I know
the installation is critical to the proper functioning of spray
foam so I should have someone with experience do the installation.

Fiberglass insulation would be the cheapest of the prices I have
looked found. Spray foam (closed cell) would fill gaps and form
another barrier inside the outer sheeting. Rigid foam I would either
do two layers or would create a "box" with a hollow core that I
would push between the studs. Fiberglass and rigid foam would have
gaps between the outer surface and the outer sheeting that I'm
concerned would allow mold growth.

Seems to me spray foam would be best for my situation. I'm concerned
about off gassing (another reason to have some do this so the 2"
installation depth is not exceeded) and the R value seems to be
about the same as rigid foam.

Oh, also seems that gravity would cause fiberglass to lose loft,
compress, in the gambrel sections since I must apply the insulation
from below.

I know there is significant prep work before foaming, and I don't
mind doing the prep work.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/31/2013 10:36 PM, Mike wrote:

Fiberglass insulation would be the cheapest of the prices I have
looked found. Spray foam (closed cell) would fill gaps and form
another barrier inside the outer sheeting. Rigid foam I would either
do two layers or would create a "box" with a hollow core that I
would push between the studs. Fiberglass and rigid foam would have
gaps between the outer surface and the outer sheeting that I'm
concerned would allow mold growth.

Seems to me spray foam would be best for my situation. I'm concerned
about off gassing (another reason to have some do this so the 2"
installation depth is not exceeded) and the R value seems to be
about the same as rigid foam.

I'd go with rigid foam and DIY If you have an EPS (expandable
polystyrene) fabricating shop near you, they will make it to the
thickness you need so there is no gap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike wrote:
[...]

I question whether a complete seal is good. What's going to be in the shed.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fiberglass insulation is NOT what it's cracked up to be,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/1/2013 12:29 AM, gregz wrote:
Mike wrote:
Evening,

Oh, also seems that gravity would cause fiberglass to lose loft,
compress, in the gambrel sections since I must apply the insulation
from below.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

I question whether a complete seal is good. What's going to be in the shed.

Greg

I'm also been wondering what's the purpose of
insulating a shed. Seems like a lot of extra
bother. Fiberglass from below is fine, for the
roof. Doesn't lose all that much, over time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 07:29:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I'm also been wondering what's the purpose of
insulating a shed. Seems like a lot of extra
bother.

In case he comes home drunk and the wife kicks him out of the house.

a man needs to know these things
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm also been wondering what's the purpose of
insulating a shed. Seems like a lot of extra
bother.

In case he comes home drunk and the wife kicks him out of the house.

a man needs to know these things

And the first thing moved into the shed should
be a sofa.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:32:08 AM UTC-4, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
Fiberglass insulation is NOT what it's cracked up to be,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg

It's interesting to watch, but not sure exactly how
much of that translates into an application of
the insulation in the real world. He's deliberately
forcing air with a fan through the insulation.
If you have fiberglass batts laying between joists
in at attic, there is no fan forcing air through
it. The insulation is even covered with a vapor
barrier, then by drywall under it. So, I'm sure
you'd get some thermal movement of some small
amount of air, but it's nowhere near having a
fan force air through it.

Also if this were an inherrent problem with
fiberglass insulation, wouldn't it be reflected
in the R ratings?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm also been wondering what's the purpose of
insulating a shed. Seems like a lot of extra
bother.

In case he comes home drunk and the wife kicks him out of the house.

a man needs to know these things

And the first thing moved into the shed should
be a sofa.

Right. A man can punish his wife by sleeping in the dog house.

move over short dog 'cause the big dog is movin' in
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Friday, November 1, 2013 6:32:08 AM UTC-4, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
Fiberglass insulation is NOT what it's cracked up to be,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ybp93Jx6Tg

It's interesting to watch, but not sure exactly how
much of that translates into an application of
the insulation in the real world. He's deliberately
forcing air with a fan through the insulation.
If you have fiberglass batts laying between joists
in at attic, there is no fan forcing air through
it. The insulation is even covered with a vapor
barrier, then by drywall under it. So, I'm sure
you'd get some thermal movement of some small
amount of air, but it's nowhere near having a
fan force air through it.

Also if this were an inherrent problem with
fiberglass insulation, wouldn't it be reflected
in the R ratings?

It should be reflected. It's not linear. The greater the differential
temperature, the more the air wants to flow. We all know what the fibers
look like. Cellulose forms a more continuous barrier.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm also been wondering what's the purpose of
insulating a shed. Seems like a lot of extra
bother.

In case he comes home drunk and the wife kicks him out of the house.

a man needs to know these things

And the first thing moved into the shed should
be a sofa.

Beer keg and 60" TV.