Posted to alt.home.repair

Default transparent glue

What transparent glue can be used to hold a piece of plastic to a
picture of the same size (which is on paper, I think)? So
transparent that it won't distort the image of the picture, and won't
even be noticeable when looking at the picture?

My friend has a lady's compact, for face powder, that is about 80
years old, with a picture of -- I forget -- either Queen Elizabeth or
the SS Queen Mary in it. The picture was covered with a transparent
piece of plastic (or celuloid?) which recently came off, risking the
safety of the picture.

He assumed that there were tabs in the plastic that fit slots
somewhere in the compact to hold the plastic in place, but there
aren't.

Now he figures there was a transparent glue between the plastic and
the picture which finally gave way. Even though he sees no trace of
the glue (it's transparent after all.)

What glue can he use that is transparent that will hold this light
piece of plastic to the picture (which is on paper, I think)?
Senior Member

Mickey:

If there's any chance that this compact is an antique and worth some money, your best bet is to take it to any museum and ask the curator of the museum how that plastic cover would have been held in place. Museums do a lot of restoration work, and it's likely that if the curator doesn't know himself, he'd know who to send you to.

If there's no concern over losing value if it's an antique, I would suggest you take some ordinary white wood glue, apply it to a piece of paper (preferably with some printing on it so that you can better judge transparency) give it time to dry, and see what you think.

White glue is milky white when it's in liquid form, but dries clear.

PS: "White glue is milky white when it's in liquid form, but dries clear."
Which means, of course, that there can't be anything that's actually white in colour inside the glue when it's in liquid form. Otherwise, the dried glue would be white in colour as well. Truth is, white wood glue is white for exactly the same reason that clowds, snowbanks and the head on a beer are all white in colour. And, come to think of it, none of these things have anything inside them that's white in colour either. Post again if you want to know how that works.
Senior Member

I'm recognizing that if the white wood glue were to wet the paper, the paper would take on a "permanently wet look". Since wet paper is darker in colour than dry paper, the mere fact that the glue penetrates into the paper before it dries is going to make the paper permanently darker, and the picture darker as well so that it looks "depressing", perhaps.

See how the white wood glue on paper test turns out for you. I expect that the glue will penetrate into the paper before drying, giving the paper a permanently wet (aka: dark) look.

Another idea that 's crossing my mind is to set the plastic cover in place and use a toothpick to deposit clear nail polish around the perimeter of the plastic cover.

Last edited by nestork : October 29th 13 at 02:10 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10-28-2013, 21:57, nestork wrote:
If there's no concern over losing value if it's an antique, I would
suggest you take some ordinary white wood glue, apply it to a piece of
paper (preferably with some printing on it so that you can better judge
transparency) give it time to dry, and see what you think.

I recommend not. The photo may well be ruined by the moisture in the
glue before it dries. Usually those things had a sort of tiny "ledge"
all the way 'round that held in the image and the plastic.

--
Wes Groleau

There are some ideas so wrong that only a
very intelligent person could believe in them.
€” George Orwell

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 10-28-2013, 21:57, nestork wrote:
If there's no concern over losing value if it's an antique, I would
suggest you take some ordinary white wood glue, apply it to a piece of
paper (preferably with some printing on it so that you can better judge
transparency) give it time to dry, and see what you think.

I recommend not. The photo may well be ruined by the moisture in the glue
before it dries. Usually those things had a sort of tiny "ledge" all the
way 'round that held in the image and the plastic.

AND the plastic has shrunk slightly so that it is no longer held in place by
the "ledge" or lip. The plastic was probably celluloid or if newer it could
be acetate, both can become unstable after many years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
[...]

I suspect that any glue will ruin the photo. Maybe just use a touch of glue
or clear silicone along the very edge of the plastic to hold the plastic to
the sides of the compact, and keep the glue way from the photo altogether.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 09:50:42 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Wes Groleau" wrote in message
On 10-28-2013, 21:57, nestork wrote:
If there's no concern over losing value if it's an antique, I would
suggest you take some ordinary white wood glue, apply it to a piece of
paper (preferably with some printing on it so that you can better judge
transparency) give it time to dry, and see what you think.

I recommend not. The photo may well be ruined by the moisture in the glue
before it dries. Usually those things had a sort of tiny "ledge" all the
way 'round that held in the image and the plastic.

Really? I'll ask him to look again.

AND the plastic has shrunk slightly so that it is no longer held in place by
the "ledge" or lip. The plastic was probably celluloid or if newer it could
be acetate, both can become unstable after many years.

So assuming it's like Wes says they usually are, smaybe he can cut a
circle out of celluloid or acetate as big as the original piece was??
How would you all cut a circle like that?

With scissors? But how to round off the little places where it's too
big? Sandpaper? File?

Where would you get the material? They used to sell covers for
multiple pages of 3-hole paper, and some had a clear "plastic" cover
(so you could see the cover sheet underneath it). He could cut a
circle out of that. Will that stay clear for the next 70 years, or
50? Or 30?

A thinner material is found in the wallet inserts that hold ID, credit
cards, etc. These are sold separately at dime stores. Some are very
soft but others are stiff, allowing for how thin they are. Too thin?

What would you all recommend?

Is acetate better than celluloid?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/29/2013 9:50 AM, EXT wrote:

I recommend not. The photo may well be ruined by the moisture in the
glue before it dries. Usually those things had a sort of tiny "ledge"
all the way 'round that held in the image and the plastic.

AND the plastic has shrunk slightly so that it is no longer held in
place by the "ledge" or lip. The plastic was probably celluloid or if
newer it could be acetate, both can become unstable after many years.

Some way to apply trace of glue around the edge, so the center of the
photo is not moistened?
--
..
Christopher A. Young