Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default transparent ceiling tiles

Hi

I have a real, genuine retro bathroom, and amongst one of its features
is a suspended ceiling with squares of transparent plastic tiles
(perspex/acryilic??). Strip lights above them provide diffused light to
the room.

The plastic squares have yellowed over time and need replacing.

Searching for potential suppliers so far has mainly brought suppliers
of opaque tiles.

Any suggestions re suppliers of direct replacements would be much
appreciated.

Many thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:03:29 PM UTC, LocalHero wrote:
Hi
I have a real, genuine retro bathroom, and amongst one of its features
is a suspended ceiling with squares of transparent plastic tiles
(perspex/acryilic??). Strip lights above them provide diffused light to
the room.
The plastic squares have yellowed over time and need replacing.
Searching for potential suppliers so far has mainly brought suppliers
of opaque tiles.
Any suggestions re suppliers of direct replacements would be much
appreciated.
Many thanks

I don't know what you've done so far. In the past I've cleaned up yellowed plastic & glass enough to get them almost completely clear.

Sheet perspex can be misted by sandblasting or using solvent. An alternative is to use plain white plastic shower curtain on clear sheet.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Try suspended ceiling prismatic diffuser in google, eg
http://www.suspendedceilingshop.co.u...matic-diffuser

"We do not currently supply ceiling grid at the Suspended Ceiling Shop"

seems somewhat odd ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Dec 30, 7:03*pm, "LocalHero" wrote:
I have a real, genuine retro bathroom, and amongst one of its
features is a suspended ceiling with squares of transparent plastic
tiles (perspex/acryilic??). Strip lights above them provide
diffused light to the room.

I had a kitchen like that in 1992.

Try suspended ceiling prismatic diffuser in google, eg
http://www.suspendedceilingshop.co.u...lighting/1200-
x-600-perspex-prismatic-diffuser
http://www.judge-ceilings.co.uk/shop...ffusers/prisma
tic-ceiling-light-diffuser-jcs010d.html

Owain

That looks like the right thing - if a bit pricey - thanks for the link.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which tool for 2013 (was transparent ceiling tiles)

On 31/12/2012 16:57, LocalHero wrote:
Hmmm - maybe I'll get the Karcher at them and see what happens.

That reminds me... it was angle grinder in 2011, and pressure washer for
2012. What's the tool for 2013?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2012 17:54, Andy Champ wrote:
On 31/12/2012 16:57, LocalHero wrote:
Hmmm - maybe I'll get the Karcher at them and see what happens.

That reminds me... it was angle grinder in 2011, and pressure washer for
2012. What's the tool for 2013?

Andy

If it is anything like 2012, umbrella.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

On 31/12/2012 16:57, LocalHero wrote:
Hmmm - maybe I'll get the Karcher at them and see what happens.

That reminds me... it was angle grinder in 2011, and pressure washer for
2012. What's the tool for 2013?

Andy

How about product?

Expanding foam!

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:

On 31/12/2012 17:54, Andy Champ wrote:
On 31/12/2012 16:57, LocalHero wrote:
Hmmm - maybe I'll get the Karcher at them and see what happens.

That reminds me... it was angle grinder in 2011, and pressure washer for
2012. What's the tool for 2013?

Andy

If it is anything like 2012, umbrella.

I do ****ing hope not... I am planning things that need outdoors next
year...

Ceiling tiles fido UK diy 8 January 19th 09 09:01 PM
transparent roof tiles George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 15 February 11th 08 08:56 PM
Ceiling tiles, dropped ceiling Cshenk Home Repair 3 November 7th 07 02:07 AM
Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
ceiling tiles jozep7075 Home Ownership 0 January 23rd 05 01:34 AM