Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice for wood chip to cover lousy weedy grass and dirt hillside

I have never worked with wood chips before; so I ask your advice.

I had long ago mentioned to my neighbor that I needed something that is
low maintenance to cover my both flat and hilly but always weedy lawn
since I haven't been maintaining it well; and he kindly offered a few
truckloads of freshly chipped pine wood chips earlier this week:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3740/1...aa859061_o.gif

One question is how much lawn will this much wood chip typically cover?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7322/1...ac2ec144_o.gif

About the only tools I have to spread it around are shovels, rakes, and a
wheelbarrow:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/1...ed786c90_o.gif

What I need to cover is a few hundred feet of this type of "lawn" (the
term "lawn" is used loosely, as you can see from the photo):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7374/1...8893c59d_o.gif

So, my basic question is HOW do I determine how much this can cover,
and what would you recommend for how thick I should make it and what
preparation should I do to prevent the chips from running off in the rain?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/1...f56557e9_o.gif