Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs

My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs. Because of th
Nazi government in Washington, I was forced to replace them with those
stupid looking curly compact fluresent bulbs. Those things not only
look stupid, but they dont get hot like the old bulbs. Now I'm cold all
the time in winter. I might save a few cents on electricity but it's
much colder now. I dont like it.

Lucy

Posted to alt.home.repair

gee i love the lower electric bills, and look forward to even lower costs from lED bulbs.

turn your heat up a little its more efficent than heating from light bulbs
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 21, 2013 8:35:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs. Because of th
Nazi government in Washington, I was forced to replace them with those
stupid looking curly compact fluresent bulbs. Those things not only
look stupid, but they dont get hot like the old bulbs. Now I'm cold all
the time in winter. I might save a few cents on electricity but it's
much colder now. I dont like it.

What a crock.

If the incandescent bulbs made a noticeable difference to the temperature in your house either you've got a serious "Princess and the Pea" complex, or you are burning a LOT of bulbs.

You probably complained that incandescent bulbs made the house too hot in the summer too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
My home is much colder without incandescent light bulbs. Because of th
Nazi government in Washington, I was forced to replace them with those
stupid looking curly compact fluresent bulbs. Those things not only
look stupid, but they dont get hot like the old bulbs. Now I'm cold all
the time in winter. I might save a few cents on electricity but it's
much colder now. I dont like it.

Lucy

You must have missed the shelves in the store filled with halogen
incandescent bulbs.

Seems like the solution would be to get a set of halogen incandescent bulbs
and use them during the heating season and then put your existing CFL types
in for the summer and the cooling season. That way you get the heat that
you want and save energy on both heating and cooling.

Everyone moans and groans about what the government did or didn't do about
light bulbs; but what's happened in the market is that there are more bulb
choices on the retail shelves than ever before in history, prices for CFL
and LED bulbs have come down and consumers can take their pick of
incandescent, fluorescent or LED technology.

Maybe the main objection is that people have to actually learn something
about light bulbs to make the proper choice these days.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

If his house is small and well insulated, heat loss could less than 20,000 btu's.
I heat 3000 sqft with under 40,000 btu , outside temps 5C

15 100w bulbs generates 5200btu's, at 100% efficiency, which could result in a very noticeable difference. I am not considering the incandescent short bulb life here.

If the cost of electricity is equal or less than his primary heating fuel, he would be better to stay with the CFL's or LED's and add a electric space heater

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2013 03:24 PM, = wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

More gas or oil for your furnace is likely cheaper than the electricity
consumed by incandescent lights...

my real complaint with all the energy efficient bulbs is that if you
have antique lamps or fixtures designed for a large incandescent bulb,
it's impossible to find a drop in replacement that's as bright. But up
to about 60W or so LED is the way to go.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 03:24 PM, = wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

That's a good point. Electric heat is usually the most expensive among the
three choices that you mentioned. But, we're not talking about home
lighting that costs thousands of dollars/year to operate either. It's more
like $200-300/year according to the DOE report at http://alturl.com/qgbh2
with the heat contribution from lighting amounting to about 1700 kWh/year.
Maybe the OP is really talking about "visually colder" or the color of the
bulbs. That's easily fixed witha warm-tone bulb of lower color temperature.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a good point. Electric heat is usually the most expensive among the

three choices that you mentioned. But, we're not talking about home

lighting that costs thousands of dollars/year to operate either. It's more

like $200-300/year according to the DOE report at http://alturl.com/qgbh2

with the heat contribution from lighting amounting to about 1700 kWh/year.

Maybe the OP is really talking about "visually colder" or the color of the

bulbs. That's easily fixed witha warm-tone bulb of lower color temperature.

well no...

100 Watts of heat from a bulb in a lamp a few feet away while reading is plenty enough to feel the warmth on the back of my neck and allows me to set the thermostat lower.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

= wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 03:24 PM, = wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Hmm,
Go one step further I gradually started using LED bulbs. Prices are
getting better with more choices. CFL gets pretty warm but LED is
cool to touch. And house has to be well insulaed no matter what.
Every little things we do to conserve energy counts. Think global,
act local.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 14:52:47 -0400, "=" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 03:24 PM, = wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Now *THAT'S* funny! You must be a lefty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/23/2013 03:38 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
= wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
On 10/21/2013 03:24 PM, = wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I like the LED bulbs because they don't seem to have the drawbacks of
CFLs. I managed to get a small stash of Philips L-Prize bulbs while HD
had them for $15 apiece. They're still some of the finest LED "bulbs"
made to this date. 90+ CRI, nice warm color temp, and 10W for more
light than a traditional 60W incandescent. They dim pretty well too.

Unfortunately, nothing has hit the market since that compares... Cree
has a bulb that is aimed at the california market with high CRI but
they're not available here. Anything else that approaches the high CRI
and quality of the L-Prize is $50 or more apiece.

nate