Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stubborn valve stems

Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace. Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a wrench on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with anything yet, but some kind of penetrating fluid or Lime-Away come to mind. I tried putting pressure on them and tapping with a hammer but can't budge either one. I also thought about hitting them with a torch but I'm a little worried about catching wood on fire and not being able to get a wet rag being the tile -- or having to spray water inside the wall and creating another problem.

Anyway, I hate to call a plumber for something that should be a Joe homeowner job but may end up doing that. Any ideas on what else to try first?

They were put in about 17 years ago when I had the galvanized piping replaced with copper. Never leaked until just now.

You all know what these things look like, but just for fun, here they are...

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/3793/glqx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/4475/ew2b.jpg

Guv Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 22:45:18 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

[...]

Can't you get a long socket over them? Last time I had something like
that I had to chip out the surrounding tile/grout/plaster to give me
enough room to get a socket over the "nut" on the valve so I could
unscrew it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 12:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Is this what you need?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...yL._SY300_.jpg

I'd hit it with WD4 if it's stuck
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace. Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a wrench on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with anything yet, but some kind of penetrating fluid or Lime-Away come to mind.

Liquid Wrench sounds good to me. Lime away is for hard water
deposits, and I really don't know if that has anything to do with
these nuts being tight. Seems to me the water wouldn't get in there,
like it does on the bottom of the sink when the faucet drips. .

I tried putting pressure on them and tapping with a hammer but can't budge either one.

Tap after the Liquid Wrench too, as the instructions say.

And try tightening a bit too. If it moves a micron, an angstrom, that
helps free things up.

I also thought about hitting them with a torch but I'm a little worried about catching wood on fire and not being able to get a wet rag being the tile -- or having to spray water inside the wall and creating another problem.

The percentage risk is small but the possible loss is too high! You
don't want to be the last story on the evening news.

Anyway, I hate to call a plumber for something that should be a Joe homeowner job but may end up doing that. Any ideas on what else to try first?

They were put in about 17 years ago when I had the galvanized piping replaced with copper. Never leaked until just now.

You all know what these things look like, but just for fun, here they are...

http://imageshack.us/a/img33/3793/glqx.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img32/4475/ew2b.jpg

Guv Bob

Can't you get a long socket over them? Last time I had something like

They have special plumbing sockets, for just this purpose. You can
buy a set or some places have individual ones, since the whole house
probably just uses the two sizes (the one at each end.) Not
expensive either. Home depot has a set of them, which also take up
a lot of space for all but one I will never use. Not sure where I
bought the single one.

I had automobile deep sockets and they weren't deep enough.

that I had to chip out the surrounding tile/grout/plaster to give me
enough room to get a socket over the "nut" on the valve so I could
unscrew it.

Yes. At first I thought his second picture was the same valve with a
bigger hole chipped out, but it's a different valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 1:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

On auto work, I've had good results with Castle Thrust penetrating oil.
Also, Deep Lube worked for me on a similar plumbing job. Spray on the
threads, and do the job the next day after the lube soaks in. Looks like
a deep socket would be useful, but they don't make em that deep. Might
have to remove some drywall, and use an offset box wrench.

You have my compassion.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 4:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

gonjah posted a picture of the socket wrench invented by some feller who
probably came across the same problem. I've had one of the darn sets in
my ton of tools someplace but haven't laid my hands on it in
a very long time. The set of wrenches is inexpensive enough for me to
purchase another instead of spending $500 of my time looking for them.
That's the criteria I use for buying replacements but I always remember
where the frigging thing is right after I destroy the packaging for the
new tool. o_O

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...T141/100015414

http://tinyurl.com/o8vyr45

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 12:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace.

Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a wrench
on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with

I don't know how you could check, but I think I remember that one is
right hand thread and the other left hand.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 07:59:46 -0500, DanG wrote:

On 10/20/2013 12:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace.

Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a wrench
on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with

I don't know how you could check, but I think I remember that one is
right hand thread and the other left hand.

Are you sure you're not thinking of sinks (maybe tubs and showers)
with one piece fixtures and one handle that turns one way and the
other handle turns the other?

I have that in my bathroom sinks, and after 28 years, I finally have
to change the washers. When I'm done, I'll know if the inside is like
that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Before you do anything else...are you positive you can get replacements?

I've found that in such cases the original parts are not always available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/13 8:59 AM, DanG wrote:
On 10/20/2013 12:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace.

Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a
wrench on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with

I don't know how you could check, but I think I remember that one is
right hand thread and the other left hand.

In my experience, the hot and cold valves themselves, one turns
clockwise and other counterclockwise, but the stem housing themselves
are both normal CCW to loosen, CW to tighten.

When buying just 1 replacement, you need to know if it is for hot or
cold to get the correct turn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd try heating them with a torch -- a little. Then spray them with
penetrating oil and tap on them.

You might get to them with a basin wrench. However, I've had them
break before (cheap ones).

http://www.bushnutspanner.co.uk/Images/basinwrench.jpg

Or something like this: (Bearhug Tap Basin Wrench) it you can find
them locally.

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/images/uploads/ebay-images/ebay-ROT6.7037.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Addendum:

Look for a Crows Foot wrench in the size you need and use a ratchet
with extension.

http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/KDT81612.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Crows foot wrench is no good it would round of nut then you deffinatly would
have big problem
he needs good socket wrench there plumbing supply shoud have one to your
need

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Gonjah posted a link to the correct tool a while back.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...yL._SY300_.jpg

The old style wooden floor hardware store in my neighborhood used to lend
out a set of these if you bought your stems from them. Maybe they still do,
but I don't have those types of shower valves anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:37:33 -0700, "Tony944" wrote:

Look for a Crows Foot wrench in the size you need and use a ratchet
with extension.

http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/KDT81612.jpg

Crows foot wrench is no good it would round of nut then you deffinatly would
have big problem
he needs good socket wrench there plumbing supply shoud have one to your
need

He already has a problem. IDK if he can find a socket deep enough to
accomplish the task.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/20/2013 11:55 AM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:37:33 -0700, wrote:

Look for a Crows Foot wrench in the size you need and use a ratchet
with extension.

http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/KDT81612.jpg

Crows foot wrench is no good it would round of nut then you deffinatly would
have big problem
he needs good socket wrench there plumbing supply shoud have one to your
need

He already has a problem. IDK if he can find a socket deep enough to
accomplish the task.

If not, it shouldn't be hard to make one from one of the spark plug type
w/ the formed back for a wrench. A 1/2" drive should let the faucet
handle stud go thru altho a 3/8" might as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:37:33 -0700, "Tony944" wrote:

Look for a Crows Foot wrench in the size you need and use a ratchet
with extension.

http://www.denlorstools.com/shop/images/KDT81612.jpg

Crows foot wrench is no good it would round of nut then you deffinatly would
have big problem
he needs good socket wrench there plumbing supply shoud have one to your
need

He already has a problem. IDK if he can find a socket deep enough to
accomplish the task.

Maybe our posts aren't coming through to your server, or maybe not in time.

Gonjah and I both posted this link. Isn't this the tool made specifically
for this task?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...yL._SY300_.jpg

Here's one in use...

http://images.meredith.com/diy/image...SCP_075_08.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:24:35 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Gonjah and I both posted this link. Isn't this the tool made specifically
for this task?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...yL._SY300_.jpg

Here's one in use...

http://images.meredith.com/diy/image...SCP_075_08.jpg

Thanks. That looks to right too
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If the valve stem is still too long and sticks out the end of the
socket, preventing you from putting in the cross bar, you have two
choices: take a hacksaw to the valve stem and shorten it so you can put
the cross bar through the socket. Then replace the valve stem assembly
with new; or attempt to turn the socket using a crescent wrench gripping
its outside.
--
Peace,
bobJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks. I'm probably being way to careful, but if I break something the lovely wife will either kill me or move out. Hmmmmm.... where did I put that sledge hammer? LOL!!

Butt seriously.... I've got one of those wrenches. Wish I could see inside a little better. It looks like there are 3 pieces and I'm not sure which one to try and remove. I marked them on this photo. The outermost one looks like it has reverse thread marks. Not sure if I should just remove this or what looks like another bushing behind it. Or is that part of the fixture?

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/5656/15tz.jpg

I'm sure it is obvious to someone who has done it before, but that ain't me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 07:59:46 -0500, DanG wrote:

On 10/20/2013 12:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Here's a couple of photos of the two valve stems I'm trying replace.

Both are starting to leak. I'm having a heck of time getting a wrench
on these suckers.

I haven't tried soaking them with

I don't know how you could check, but I think I remember that one is
right hand thread and the other left hand.

Are you sure you're not thinking of sinks (maybe tubs and showers)
with one piece fixtures and one handle that turns one way and the
other handle turns the other?

I have that in my bathroom sinks, and after 28 years, I finally have
to change the washers. When I'm done, I'll know if the inside is like
that too.

For this one, they're both the same - right to shut off the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo " wrote in message ...
[...]

You ain't just a whistling Dixie, Philo! Bin there dun that. I'll take the photos done to the "real" plumbing supply tomorrow. From the end of the stem to the lip of that bushing is 2-3/4 inches. All the houses around here were built about the same time, so I'm hoping they'll recognize it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Oren. That's pretty slick!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:07:10 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/5656/15tz.jpg

I'm sure it is obvious to someone who has done it before, but that ain't me.

If it were me. I would start at the outside nut & stem. What you call
a "bushing".

Leave the "?" mark and threads behind it.

....it could involve tools :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:18:09 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

I should thank everyone but don't want to clog up the thread. Really appreciate all the good info. I'll upload whatever happens. Should be fixed in a day or two.

In the meantime we could talk about politics; while we wait. ...not
to clog up the thread

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
[...]

What you need is a tubular spanner. (Piece of pipe with the end forged to
fit various nuts.)
You can get these for very great depths.
http://www.thomasmeldrumltd.co.uk/Pa...xSpanners.aspx
They may call them something else in the USA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote:
"gonjah" wrote in message ...
[...]

It's been a while since I tore out that style of valve and installed a
single handle, anti-scald valve, but...

If memory serves me correctly and this image is correct, you want to remove
the nut that you labeled as a "bushing", which it is not.

http://images.meredith.com/diy/image...SCP_075_08.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"gonjah" wrote in message ...
[...]

I used to know the answer to this, and I will again some day.

I think the "bushing" is to replace the packing around the stem and
the ? is to replace the washer. And that to replace the washer, you
don't have to unscrew the so-called bushing. But I could easily be
wrong.

Unless someone says the same thing more convincingly, go to HD or
Lowes, find such a valve and take it apart. When you have your
answer, put it back together and back in the box. If you have to cut
the strap that is around the box, I give you permission, as long as
you put everything back nice. If the box won't stay shut anymore,
show it to a clerk, or bring some big rubber bands, or twine.

Sometimes when you've removed the ? and try to put this all back
together, the stem and the washer will hit bottom before the ? is
completely screwed in. Then you have to "turn on the water", back out
the stem so you can screw the ? in farther.

The "threads " are the threads the ? screws into.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I should thank everyone but don't want to clog up the thread. Really appreciate all the good info. I'll upload whatever happens. Should be fixed in a day or two.

In the meantime we could talk about politics; while we wait. ...not
to clog up the thread

My guy is saving the USA from destruction. Your guy
is so evil that he would spontaneously combust in
a confessional.

I'm with the earlier poster,
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/5656/15tz.jpg
Bushing comes out, or "should" come out. I'd spray
the threads with Castle Thrust, or other good
penetrant, two or three times a day for two or three
days, to let it work in. We hope.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes you have to have the right words to explain to the experts what you want.

I've just disassembled mine and I had a similar problem, though my hardest part was getting the handle off.

At any rate, there are two nuts: packing nut, and bonnet nut.

It looks to me like maybe your packing nut already came off. Sometimes they stick to the escutcheon.

Your bonnet nut is the one you've labeled bushing. That needs to unscrew. Mine needed the special tool from the hardware store, and the first one (multiple size) didn't fit, I had to go back and buy the set.

You need to get the right size. If you round the bonnet nut, you're done. You have to break open the wall and start over.

The tool (like a long deep socket) comes with a bar to turn it. They are never long enough. You always need a cheater bar for the leverage.

Good luck.

Uh, did I mention turn off the water first?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 21, 2013 4:53:27 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
If memory serves me correctly and this image is correct, you want to remove

the nut that you labeled as a "bushing", which it is not.

http://images.meredith.com/diy/image...SCP_075_08.jpg

Yup, that's it. Stem nut or bonnet nut.

But there's no way he's going to turn his with just a screwdriver for leverage. These things are in tight, usually with some pipe dope that's turned to concrete by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
[...]

{{{

You can remove the entire assembly to put in a vice or replace as a unit.

We just purchased a new (to us) house. The hose bibs were old and in bad
shape. Not sure but the replacement cost us ~$30 bucks each.

Replacement was jack simple and in the long run less expensive than a
repair.

Only caution is to not over toque on removal or replacement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gonjah" wrote in message
[...]

Air tool oil is finer and tens to work better/faster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 21, 2013 12:25:53 PM UTC-4, NotMe wrote:
You can remove the entire assembly to put in a vice or replace as a unit.

We just purchased a new (to us) house. The hose bibs were old and in bad

shape. Not sure but the replacement cost us ~$30 bucks each.

Replacement was jack simple and in the long run less expensive than a

repair.

This is a shower valve. It's deep inside a wall behind plaster and tile; there is nothing jack simple about this job. He might end up replacing it, but there's a good chance he can just pull the stem and replace the washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stubborn valve stems ---YouTube video How To

On 10/20/13 1:45 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
[...]

Here is a YouTube video that steps you thru the whole process,
including replacing the valve seat if necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ZXThHCwwA

Sometimes the seats are either non-removeable , or corroded in place.
There is a tool to grind the seat in place, if necessary

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...4#.UmVlICTK4oY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2013 12:34 PM, Retired wrote:
[...]

I used a valve seat cutter on my tub/shower valves then had to add thin
brash washers as spacers because of the amount of material removed to
get a clean seat that would seal. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Retired wrote:
[...]

It was an "O-ring" until he went to the store and a "washer" after he got
back. Looks like he got a terminology lesson while at the store. ;-)

If it were me, I wouldn't have installed the stem flange until I tested the
fixture. He may have stopped the leak to the shower head, but he could have
a leak inside the wall.

One other issue...He managed to complete a plumbing job without taking all
parts to the store and he apparently did it in one trip. Obviously, the
video is a work of fiction. ;-)

Sometimes the seats are either non-removeable , or corroded in place.
There is a tool to grind the seat in place, if necessary

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraf...4#.UmVlICTK4oY

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I should thank everyone but don't want to clog up the thread. Really appreciate all the good info. I'll upload whatever happens. Should be fixed in a day or two.

In the meantime we could talk about politics; while we wait. ...not
to clog up the thread

My guy is saving the USA from destruction. Your guy
is so evil that he would spontaneously combust in
a confessional.

I didn't know Muslims had confessionals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 21, 2013 6:57:39 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

One other issue...He managed to complete a plumbing job without taking all

parts to the store and he apparently did it in one trip. Obviously, the

video is a work of fiction. ;-)

In my 60 years, I have never done that, not even once. I consider a 3 trip job an accomplishment, rarely I've managed a two tripper, but a one trip job has evaded me.