Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT for home repair -- armor all on tires

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 6:57 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

I used AA many years ago and recall the need to reapply more frequently
after each application. It appeared to wear much faster.

I have also heard that AA issue then as well and have stopped using it
since. Though, I cannot conclude the legitimacy of that claim, I used
other products for many years with good results.

I always take the manufacturer motto or product purity standards with a
grain of salt. They are selling a product....of course they will state
it's good for the intended purpose(s).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:d1j8u.62000$rL6.51909
@fx14.iad:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference
in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the
appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor
All.

Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for
making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.

Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My Michelin XWX tires developed severe cracks in less than a year, but they
were in the sun. My dashboard also cracked. Things crack, but not this
fast.

Now says has UV shield, but it's your call.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I'll see your OT and raise you.

I've heard that Armor All can be used to brighten up vinyl shutters that
have faded in the sun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tegger wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in news:d1j8u.62000$rL6.51909
@fx14.iad:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference
in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the
appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor
All.

Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for
making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.

Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.

Hi,
I concur. There are so many stuffs out there to waste money on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 08:12 PM, Tegger wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote in news:d1j8u.62000$rL6.51909
@fx14.iad:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference
in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the
appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor
All.

Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for
making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.

Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.

I've not used it on tires, but I've heard tell that it does in fact dry
out interior vinyl etc. Supposedly 303 is good stuff though. That's
what I've been using and as a side benefit it doesn't leave such a
glossy finish as Armor All does.

I don't like shiny tires, either... I have a bottle of tire dressing
that when buffed off leaves a nice black yet matte finish. I don't know
what I'll do when it runs out, as it appears that all the tire dressing
sold today is ULTRA GLOSS! which just looks wrong to me.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 18:57:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 7:55 PM, Meanie wrote:

I used AA many years ago and recall the need to reapply more frequently
after each application. It appeared to wear much faster.

I have also heard that AA issue then as well and have stopped using it
since. Though, I cannot conclude the legitimacy of that claim, I used
other products for many years with good results.

I always take the manufacturer motto or product purity standards with a
grain of salt. They are selling a product....of course they will state
it's good for the intended purpose(s).

I'm with you, the mfr will say anything to sell the product. "My
legislation will lower the cost of....".

I didn't find anything contrary, on the web. I'd been using AA
for many years, and might need a twelve step program to give it up.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 8:12 PM, Tegger wrote:

I used it when I was younger. I noticed absolutely no detectable difference
in tire life. At all. Zero. Nor did I detect any difference in the
appearance of the sidewalls once the rain eventually washed away the Armor
All.

Armor All /is/ pretty good for making your tires shiny temporarily, and for
making you feel good about having done something nice for your ride.

Armor All is a waste of money, in my un-humble opionion.

A lot of things I do, are a waste of money.
I think it's very likely that you're correct.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 8:24 PM, gregz wrote:

My Michelin XWX tires developed severe cracks in less than a year, but they
were in the sun. My dashboard also cracked. Things crack, but not this
fast.

Now says has UV shield, but it's your call.

Greg

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper
trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy
those wheel covers to block from the sun light.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 8:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'll see your OT and raise you.

I've heard that Armor All can be used to brighten up vinyl shutters that
have faded in the sun.

How about venetian blinds?

I'll raise, again. WD-40, the lubricant,
makes formica counter tops shine. I found
that out, in a shop where I worked, years
ago. Everyone knows WD is a lubricant,
right?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2013 11:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and
weatherstriping.
jmo

The tech I talked to, did say that spray
silicone is acceptable. He did mention tires
and rubber weather stripping. Interesting you
mention the same product.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

The firemen used to use sugar water to shine up the firetruck tires.
I Googled it and stole this from some forum... "Every now and then I see
someone mention about how to make your tires look good. Well, DO NOT use
Armorall or anything resembling it, because that can cause major
problems when leaning in a curve. Now, back in the OLD DAYS... We didn't
have any of the fancy stuff they have now. What we used was 'sugar
water'... Just mix a cup of sugar in a quart of warm water, stir ir
until it disolves. Then take a rag and soak it with the water, ring it
out slightly, and rub the tire with it. Your tire will look better than
brand new after it dries. Now, I don't know how many bees it will
attract, it depends on where you live...."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
The firemen used to use sugar water to shine up the firetruck tires.
I Googled it and stole this from some forum... "Every now and then I see
someone mention about how to make your tires look good. Well, DO NOT use
Armorall or anything resembling it, because that can cause major problems
when leaning in a curve. Now, back in the OLD DAYS... We didn't have any
of the fancy stuff they have now. What we used was 'sugar water'... Just
mix a cup of sugar in a quart of warm water, stir ir until it disolves.
Then take a rag and soak it with the water, ring it out slightly, and rub
the tire with it. Your tire will look better than brand new after it
dries. Now, I don't know how many bees it will attract, it depends on where you live...."

" Well, DO NOT use Armorall or anything resembling it, because that can
cause major problems when leaning in a curve."

What "major problems" will be caused when leaning into a curve? Are the
sides of the tires going to be so slippery that the driver will lose
control? That's some serious leaning!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2013 06:50 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/18/2013 11:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and
weatherstriping.
jmo

The tech I talked to, did say that spray
silicone is acceptable. He did mention tires
and rubber weather stripping. Interesting you
mention the same product.

Silicone on weatherstrip is great to keep it from freezing in the
winter. I prefer to use silicone grease and rub it in with a rag
however. Silicone on paint will make it hell for anyone who has to do
any paintwork on the car on down the road. I squirt a little silicone
spray inside lock cylinders as well every fall, for the same reason.

I'm using Gummi Pflege on the weatherstrip my BMW as someone said that
was better than silicone. Don't know if that is just Deutsch-centric
thinking or if it's really better. We'll see when it freezes...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2013 06:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper
trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy
those wheel covers to block from the sun light.

Four campers? All your wives won't stay in the same trailer when you go camping? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2013 9:57 AM, Smarty Pants wrote:
On 10/19/2013 06:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper
trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy
those wheel covers to block from the sun light.

Four campers? All your wives won't stay in the same trailer when you go
camping? ;-)

Nope. Want to guess again?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 06:46:43 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/18/2013 8:24 PM, gregz wrote:

My Michelin XWX tires developed severe cracks in less than a year, but they
were in the sun. My dashboard also cracked. Things crack, but not this
fast.

Now says has UV shield, but it's your call.

Greg

You know, that's a thought. I'm working on four camper
trailers which haven't moved in years. I should buy
those wheel covers to block from the sun light.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Basically it is OZONE that damages rubber, much more than UV. UV is
involved in producing ozone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 22:29:58 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

In ,
belched:
wrote:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and
weatherstriping.
jmo

Glycerine works too - lasts almost as long as AA. Keeps
weatherstripping from freezing/sticking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 06:50:22 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/18/2013 11:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

I find that spray silicone works well and use it on tires and
weatherstriping.
jmo

The tech I talked to, did say that spray
silicone is acceptable. He did mention tires
and rubber weather stripping. Interesting you
mention the same product.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Just don't plan on painting anything within 100 yards after using
spray silicone. That **** makes painting impossible for a year or more
-you get fisheyes everywhere. I won't ever use a silicone polish on a
car. It can hang around for YEARS and is virtually impossible to
totally eliminate without stripping the car (if even then)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:08:49 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 10/19/2013 10:23 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 08:39:33 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

wrote:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

Don't do it. Use WD-40 instead.

Water and bleach solution.

nate

Bleach is NOT good for tires or rubber on the whole - particularly
rubber with lamp black in it (virtually all black rubber)

That's a joke, I say, that's a joke, son!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNxksUWpZCI

if you didn't get it (best watched with the sound LOUD!) it's at about 0:30

nate

You really needed to see Gene Snow at Toronto International Dragway
back in about 1971-ish on the 24th of may weekend. A genuine "snow
burnout" - no bleach required!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
[...]

It is slick. When it first came out years ago I used it on my motorcycle
seat ONCE. Hit the throttle hard and slid backwards off the seat and ended
up on the rear fender. Had a hard time removing it from the seat. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That reminds me of the time I was spraying waterproofing from spray gun. My
brother was trying to paint car with same gun. Oh boy.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

We have these things called water and detergent.

A nylon scrub brush and soap (dry powder Tide detergent) will get the
mud off the tires. Try it. You might like it.

Rinse with a water hose if you have one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today, (Friday Oct 18, 2003) a friend told me that
Armor All is bad for car tires, breaks down the
rubber. I did some internet research, and the Armor
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Armor all ruined two of my dashboards and I've heard the same from
others. I won't let it anywhere near anything of mine. Here's an
old message from Usenet on the subject from long ago....
==========================
patrick wrote:

I've been searching usenet since I initially posted and their is a
significant group of people who believe the product causes the
dash to become 'addicted' to it, and that it will dry and crack if
not used anymore.

OK, if you want a detailed chemical explanation, here goes.
Soft vinyl plastics (as opposed to things like PVC pipe)
contain a large amount of plasticizers. The one that is
almost universally used is dioctyl phthalate. It is a
relatively high molecular weight, water insoluble, nontoxic
compound. Over the course of time, the plasticizer will
vaporize and leach out of the vinyl causing it to become
stiff and brittle, which is when it cracks.

ArmorAll is an emulsion of dibutyl phthalate in water.
Dibutyl phthalate has a lower molecular weight than the
dioctyl phthalate in the factory soft vinyl. While it will
plump up and soften the plastic (good) the lower molecular
weight means that it is more volatile and more water soluble.
Therefore it will be lost more quickly to the environment
via vaporization and leaching. A nasty side effect is that
it will take the original plasticizer with it as it is lost.

What this means to the end user is that if you start using
ArmorAll you had better continue to do so, or your vinyl
will degrade much faster than if you had done nothing.

This has caused me to decide not to use it and instead maybe get
the maximum tint legally allowed on my windows to block UV rays
and get some of those folding cardboard thingys to put in the
windshield and rear window to block sunlight.

Ordinary glass blocks UV anyway. Ever try to get a suntan
through your windshield? Doesn't work. That is not to say
that maximum tint is a bad idea. UV damage is not the only
light-related way to destroy plastics. Your plan is a good one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2013 10:36 PM, Oren wrote:
All web site says it is good for tires, helps with
UV sun shine damage. Anyone know for sure?

We have these things called water and detergent.

A nylon scrub brush and soap (dry powder Tide detergent) will get the
mud off the tires. Try it. You might like it.

Rinse with a water hose if you have one.

Will that help prevent UV damage, and weather
cracking?

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 1:57 AM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

[...]

Ah, it provides short term benefit, but it's wicked
addicting? What great marketing and packaging. Love it!

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

patrick wrote:

I've been searching usenet since I initially posted and their is a
significant group of people who believe the product causes the
dash to become 'addicted' to it, and that it will dry and crack if
not used anymore.

OK, if you want a detailed chemical explanation, here goes.

Details snipped.

I don't completely agree. I've only ever used Armor All on one car
dashboard. On that particular car, the dash was getting splotchy
looking and needed something. As soon as I applied it, the appearance
was as good as new and remained so until I traded the car about a year
later.

As for the addiction:
When the plastics are first formulated, it does contain some additives
that gas off over time. When you apply a topical coating, it is on
the top surface and does not penetrate as the original mix had. It
just will not last as long so yes, it will have to be re-applied at
some interval.

In my opinion, if it does not need it, why apply it? One it does need
it, you will have to do it periodically forever. It is a coating, not
a plastic additive. Once the original plastcizer is gone, you will
never replace it. Just as you have to paint y our house every dozen
years or so, a bad dash will need some help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2013 8:06 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

As for the addiction:
When the plastics are first formulated, it does contain some additives
that gas off over time. When you apply a topical coating, it is on
the top surface and does not penetrate as the original mix had. It
just will not last as long so yes, it will have to be re-applied at
some interval.

In my opinion, if it does not need it, why apply it? One it does need
it, you will have to do it periodically forever. It is a coating, not
a plastic additive. Once the original plastcizer is gone, you will
never replace it. Just as you have to paint y our house every dozen
years or so, a bad dash will need some help.

I figure that addicted or not, the spray helps
keep things good, and not sun-cracked. I'm OK
with that, in any case.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:
[...]

Used to thin it 25/75 with water to use on seats, floor mats, and
dash. Thats 1 part AA to 3 parts water. Gave a bit of a sheen without
being dangerously slippery. That was 30 odd years ago,