Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can mice get thru 1/4" hardware cloth?

On 10/18/2013 02:08 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
philo wrote in :

I assure you they will easily be able to get through that...

BS. A mouse canNOT fit through a 1/4" hole.

You seem to have not read the rest of my reply:

even if the holes are small they will easily expand the size and come
through.

Possibly they can chew through the wires. More likely, they'll look for something easier,
somewhere else.

I had a mouse problem a while back with my own house and used that
expandable foam insulation to fill the holes. Never had a mouse again.

You're just a fountain of bad advice today. Mice will chew through that stuff in seconds. If you
really want to stuff a crevice with something to keep mice out, use steel wool.

I already suggested steel wool on another response.

Twice now you've failed to read.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* wrote in
:

On 10/18/2013 02:08 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
philo wrote in
:

I assure you they will easily be able to get through that...

BS. A mouse canNOT fit through a 1/4" hole.

You seem to have not read the rest of my reply:

Obviously I *did* read all of it, since I responded to *both*
pieces of bad advice; apparently you didn't everything I wrote.

even if the holes are small they will easily expand the size
and come through.

Possibly they can chew through the wires. More likely, they'll
look for something easier, somewhere else.

I had a mouse problem a while back with my own house and used
that expandable foam insulation to fill the holes. Never had a
mouse again.

You're just a fountain of bad advice today. Mice will chew
through that stuff in seconds. If you really want to stuff a
crevice with something to keep mice out, use steel wool.

I already suggested steel wool on another response.

Not in this post, you didn't.

Twice now you've failed to read.

Ummm.... it's not me that's failing to read.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2013 4:09 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:02:18 AM UTC-7, philo wrote:
On 10/16/2013 03:28 AM, wrote:

I'm getting a used trailer house for guests and storage on my farm.

From past experience I found that trailer houses attract mice. Once

they get into the insulation under the floor, the damage begins. I

considered covering the entire underside of the trailer with sheet

steel, but it would be very costly, and probably difficult to install

too. Someone said they knew someone who used window screen and said it

worked, but that they had to regularly check for loose edges because

mice and other critters would loosen it. I got to thinking about that

1/4" hardware cloth. That stuff is comparable in price to window

screen, but much more durable. Probably easier to attach too, because

it can be nailed with roofing nails, not just staples, and it can be

folded at the edges to go under the skirting flange along the edges of

the trailer. Plus, it can be screwed in place in spots where it might

need to be removed, such as by pipes. And it can be wired together if

there is no solid wood in spots, along seams. Plus, I'm sure it will

last much longer than screen.

The question is whether mice can get thru the 1/4" holes. I know they

can manage to get into small holes, but that size seems to be a little

too small. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I assure you they will easily be able to get through that...

even if the holes are small they will easily expand the size and come

through.

I had a mouse problem a while back with my own house and used that

expandable foam insulation to fill the holes. Never had a mouse again.

I used the same stuff to plug up holes in concrete block where pipes used to run. 8" thick by 8x8". Mouse hole appeared almost instantly in all of them.

Harry K

When I was a kid, my mom used to use broken glass for that purpose.

Those sharp glass shards deterred any mice trying to gnaw through.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2013 03:28 AM, wrote:

I'm getting a used trailer house for guests and storage on my farm.

From past experience I found that trailer houses attract mice. Once

[...]

Hmm,
No cat in the house?
Posted to alt.home.repair
LG LG is offline

1/8 Galvanized Hardware Cloth is also available, which I would be more secure using, just to be thorough. I disagree with one comment suggesting that they can expand the material and get through - not so if it's galvanized or stainless steel, which it must be. You cannot use softer metals such as aluminum.
Here is a very comprehensive and informative document on proofing from those critters:
http://icwdm.org/handbook/rodents/rodentexclusion.asp
All the best & Good luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh my god. That may be the best answer I've ever seen in a forum. You researched mouse craniofacial measurements. That. Is. Fantastic.

Er... What about *voles?*

Off to go Google THAT....

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 2:03:08 PM UTC-4, Alan Meyer wrote:

I haven't tried it but I did a Google search to find mouse measurements.
The most relevant page I found was this one that shows the
measurements of mouse skulls.

http://craniofacial.jax.org/characteristics.html

In the measurements this guy made, the minimum height and width of an 8
week old mouse of the types he measured was a female of one of the types
that appeared to me (by subtracting the +/- from the average) to have a
skull height of around 8.6 mm and a width of around 9.7 mm, with most
mice being a bit larger than that.

Maybe something else in the mouse is more limiting than the skull size,
though they seem to be pretty good at squeezing their bodies into small
spaces.

1/4 inch = 6.35 mm. Could a mouse get through that?

Maybe one younger than 8 weeks could. Maybe a strong one that could bow
out the wire a bit could. Maybe a smart one that found an irregularity
in the mesh could.