Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher Questions Re Draining, Pump, etc.

Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely.
Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always
has ? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can
observe.

b. What usually powers the (drain) pump ? Does it have its own motor,
or does the main motor drive it thru a belt, or ?

c. What is the purpose of the main motor ? What does it power ?

Is the main motor sometimes an integral part of the pump ?

If someone might explain some of the functional aspects of all of this,
would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:31:39 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely.
Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always
has ? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can
observe.

Had the same problem with my KA. Found a chicken bone and two screws
in the drain hose, along with some accumulated gunk from years of use.
Remove and clean the hose before you get into more serious stuff.

Solved my problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

theres probably a filter screen in the bottom of the machine to prevent pump damage, check the screen......

new dish washer detergent lacks TSP, you might poor a few inches of vinegar in the bottom of the machine and let it soak over night, then run a empty cycle. or buy some REAL TSP and add a half a cup and run a empty cycle.

a clean dishwasher may help and cant hurt
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 15:44:44 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

theres probably a filter screen in the bottom of the machine to prevent pump damage, check the screen......

Could be a screen, but most have a soft disposal now and can pass
mushy stuff easily. I found though, that screws and chicken bones
don't go as easily.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message ...

[...]

Go to repairclinic.com they have videos on most appliances that show how
they work. Very good for the homeowner. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

theres probably a filter screen in the bottom of the machine to prevent pump damage, check the screen......

new dish washer detergent lacks TSP, you might poor a few inches of vinegar in the bottom of the machine and let it soak over night, then run a empty cycle. or buy some REAL TSP and add a half a cup and run a empty cycle.

a clean dishwasher may help and cant hurt

I don't know. I'd hate to have the same thing happen to the OP that
happened to the guy who was cleaing his swimming pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:12:44 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:31:39 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely.
Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always
has ? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can
observe.

Had the same problem with my KA. Found a chicken bone and two screws
in the drain hose, along with some accumulated gunk from years of use.
Remove and clean the hose before you get into more serious stuff.

Solved my problem.

I had one that wouldn't drain. I blew out the hose to the sink and it
seemed okay. I ran some kind of home made snake through it and it was
clean.

But like you, I found a chicken bone. It was the thin bone that's
next to the drumstick, and it was stuck in the "air break". The metal
covered plastic thing that's mounted on the sink, next to the faucet.
(I don't think every dishwasher has one. ) I still don't know how it
was interfering with draining, but it was the only thing I changed in
that iteration of testing.

BTW, I tested over and over, just one part of the cycle, and while
doing so, the heater in the dishwasher heated the water over and over
again and eventually made it so hot, it melted a plastic bowl. A
bowl I'd washed in the machine many times before with no problem.
So, OP, empty the machine before doing much testing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/10/2013 3:31 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Have a 4 yr. old Kitchen Aid Dishwasher.

Has developed a problem in that it does not drain completely.
Leaves quite a bit of water in the bottom after any and all drain cycles.

Realize that I don't have a good understanding of how these gadgets work.

a. Any ideas on why it may not be draining completely like it always has
? Nothing has changed in the setup, and not clogging that I can observe.

b. What usually powers the (drain) pump ? Does it have its own motor, or
does the main motor drive it thru a belt, or ?

c. What is the purpose of the main motor ? What does it power ?

Is the main motor sometimes an integral part of the pump ?

If someone might explain some of the functional aspects of all of this,
would be most appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

My rather old dishwasher has a single pump directly driven by the only
motor. When it drains a solenoid opens a valve to the drain hose. The
interval for drain is controlled by the timer.

My guess is the inlet is partly blocked or outlet path is partly
blocked. Blocking in the hose, as others have posted, is a good place to
start.