Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mini-receptacles

They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to the 3-in-1,
"cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell that were very small,
only about 2 inches long, which were designed to accept 3 plugs,
rectangular plugs only 1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round
plug in, even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all 3
receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but nowadays the space
allotted for plugs keeps growing and growing. This was the opposite.
Do you know what I mean?

Do they still sell them, and if not, why not? Some "safety" reason?

Similarly the plugs that would fit them. Only 1/2 to 5/8' thick, but
much wider of course. . I don't know if anything came with such a
plug attached, but they were sold separately, and were needed if one
had an outlet or receptacle and one wanted to fit 3 plugs in it.

Now, cords often come with rather small plugs on them, but at the end,
the flat end with the prongs coming out, there is a baseboard or a
flared skirt, that makes the plug 1/8" bigger all around. So that
you often can't get two plugs in adjoining slots. What is the
purpose of that extra width?

The plug on the left of this picture has a skirt like I mean:
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...w=1152&bih=647
Also the plug in this picture has one.
http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...w=1152&bih=647

One could plug these things in more places if the edge were not there,
of if one cut it off. Why is the edge there? Do they no longer think
a 3-receptacle extension cord can really hold 3 plugs so close
together?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:58:56 -0400, micky
wrote:

They're not really call mini-receptacles.

Is this what you mean?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/9IZyV.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to
the 3-in-1, "cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell
that were very small, only about 2 inches long, which
were designed to accept 3 plugs, rectangular plugs only
1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round plug in,
even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all
3 receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but
nowadays the space allotted for plugs keeps growing and
growing. This was the opposite. Do you know what I mean?

Do they still sell them, and if not, why not? Some
"safety" reason?

Yes, they still sell them. As a Google search would have revealed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cube...v ed=0CDIQsAQ

Here's one at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Outlet-C.../dp/B000KKHROM

Now, cords often come with rather small plugs on them,
but at the end, the flat end with the prongs coming out,
there is a baseboard or a flared skirt, that makes the
plug 1/8" bigger all around. So that you often can't
get two plugs in adjoining slots. What is the purpose
of that extra width?

There are tons of different types/shapes of plugs. As to the "skirt", it
might be an integral part of the structure and/or designed to help keep
fingers off the prongs.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2013 11:58 AM, micky wrote:
They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to the 3-in-1,
"cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell that were very small,
only about 2 inches long, which were designed to accept 3 plugs,

Anything like the one in this picture?
http://notstupid.us/include/picviewer.php/pix/IMG_4322

rectangular plugs only 1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round
plug in, even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all 3
receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but nowadays the space
allotted for plugs keeps growing and growing. This was the opposite.
Do you know what I mean?

There's also the plastic protrusions that seem to have no purpose other
than to limit the recepticle's usability. I often need to use 3-wire
extension cords (most longer ones seem to be 3-wire) for use with
holiday lights, which don't use the 3rd wire so there's really no
problem connecting it to a 2-wire cord (other than the unwanted plastic
bit).

--
76 days until The winter celebration (Wed 25 Dec, 2013 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"My computer said that "Insert disk #3" but I couldn't get more than one
disk fit in at a time!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

That picture looks unpolarized.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 00:58:16 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

And not CSA or OL approved, so technically not legal to sell.

I think they are called tri-taps.Or Triple Taps.
Leviton makes 3 wire version part number 002-698 or 699, c22-00698-00w
or 00i, 0r r51-00699-000
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

And Kroger carries a polarized 2 blade from GE - a 533 - see
http://grocery.kroger.com/pd/GE/Pola.../043180580931/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:25:07 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 10/09/2013 11:58 AM, micky wrote:
They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to the 3-in-1,
"cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell that were very small,
only about 2 inches long, which were designed to accept 3 plugs,

Anything like the one in this picture?
http://notstupid.us/include/picviewer.php/pix/IMG_4322

Yes!!! Like that. I have one just like that. Thanks. Don't go
googling but do you know if they still sell something this small.

I have one that's even smaller, with less space between the slots.
This one has 5/16 *between* where plugs go. My other has about 3/15",
so it's about 1/4" shorter.

rectangular plugs only 1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round
plug in, even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all 3
receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but nowadays the space
allotted for plugs keeps growing and growing. This was the opposite.
Do you know what I mean?

There's also the plastic protrusions that seem to have no purpose other
than to limit the recepticle's usability. I often need to use 3-wire
extension cords (most longer ones seem to be 3-wire) for use with
holiday lights, which don't use the 3rd wire so there's really no
problem connecting it to a 2-wire cord (other than the unwanted plastic
bit).

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think he is talking about a regular wiring device with 3 1-15s on a
single yoke that fits in a one gang box.

No, sorry, not at all. I meant one that doesn't go into a box at
all. Although I think they also had a one that went into a box and
had 3 pairs of slots.

I used to have one around
here but I cannibalized it to get one of the receptacles for something
I was making.

They don't sell those anymore either, do they?. If they were rated 15
amps, as mine are, why aren't they still sold?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:34:44 -0400, wrote:

http://notstupid.us/include/picviewer.php/pix/IMG_4322

That picture looks unpolarized.

Greg

And not CSA or OL approved, so technically not legal to sell.

I think they are called tri-taps.Or Triple Taps.
Leviton makes 3 wire version part number 002-698 or 699, c22-00698-00w
or 00i, 0r r51-00699-000

Thanks. If it's 3 wires, it wouldn't be small anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 21:54:37 -0400, wrote:

And Kroger carries a polarized 2 blade from GE - a 533 - see
http://grocery.kroger.com/pd/GE/Pola.../043180580931/

Thanks. That big is easy to get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013 19:01:48 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to
the 3-in-1, "cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell
that were very small, only about 2 inches long, which
were designed to accept 3 plugs, rectangular plugs only
1/2 to 5/8" thick. If you plugged a big round plug in,
even to the slot on the end, it would probably cover all
3 receptacles. I can't find an image of it, but
nowadays the space allotted for plugs keeps growing and
growing. This was the opposite. Do you know what I mean?

Do they still sell them, and if not, why not? Some
"safety" reason?

Yes, they still sell them. As a Google search would have revealed.

I tried Google, I really did.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cube...v ed=0CDIQsAQ

I looked at all these. They're all much bigger than what I have.
If I can't get more of what I have, I'd better save what I have for
myself and not give it to a casual friend.

Here's one at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Outlet-C.../dp/B000KKHROM

No, also much bigger.

It must be they don't sell them anymore.

Now, cords often come with rather small plugs on them,
but at the end, the flat end with the prongs coming out,
there is a baseboard or a flared skirt, that makes the
plug 1/8" bigger all around. So that you often can't
get two plugs in adjoining slots. What is the purpose
of that extra width?

There are tons of different types/shapes of plugs.

That was the problem, too many types and shapes, when I tried to
google plugs, and receptacles too. Adding the word "small" didn't
help.

As to the "skirt", it
might be an integral part of the structure and/or designed to help keep
fingers off the prongs.

That makes sense.

I came across a better picture of one. Skirt is really the wrong
word. Don't know what the right word is.

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...iw=710&bih=399

Maybe I should appeal to patriotism. It used to be that many USA
plugs and sockets etc. were really small and European ones were
incredibly big. Now for some reason, they aren't selling the really
small things here, afaict, although ours are still a lot smaller than
in Europe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They're not really call mini-receptacles.

Is this what you mean?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/9IZyV.jpg

No. Thanks. It's much bigger than what I meant.

DadiOH's whole images page didn't have one either, so I think they no
longer sell them (and it seems they don't even remember them, since
google images isn't just for stuff that's for sale now.)

Maybe I can get a camera and post a picture but until then, let me say
that first, these are 2-prong sockets, non-polarized (2 of the 3 that
I have)

the prongs are arranged like ===

and the total distance from the left end of the left slot to the right
end of the right slot is only 1 3/8" for the smallest one, 1 5/8" for
the one Mark posted a picture of, and 1 3/4 for the polarized one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

I have one that's exactly like the one Mark posted and it's UL
approved. Says so on the brown, woody plate in the back. Made by
GE.

I think they are called tri-taps.Or Triple Taps.

I hadn't heard those names before. Thanks. I guess they're not all
cubes anymore.

Leviton makes 3 wire version part number 002-698 or 699, c22-00698-00w
or 00i, 0r r51-00699-000

Thanks. Much bigger than what I have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What do you intend to use it for??? Why is the small size so
important?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Not legal? Please cite the law that requires UL or CSA approval for
the sale of such a device.

I think they are called tri-taps.Or Triple Taps.
Leviton makes 3 wire version part number 002-698 or 699, c22-00698-00w
or 00i, 0r r51-00699-000

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

[...]

I hope you are able to post a photo, I can't imagine any much smaller than
the one at Amazon, gotta have room for the prongs to go in from multiple
sides.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 10/09/2013 11:58 AM, micky wrote:
They're not really call mini-receptacles.

I don't know what they are called, but i'm referring to the 3-in-1,
"cube tap" receptacles that they used to sell that were very small,
only about 2 inches long, which were designed to accept 3 plugs,

I should have said that the smallest ones are not in the shape of a
cube. Well, I did say this in another post. They are like the one
Mark posted, except one is even 1/4" shorter.

Unfortunately I can't find that one now, but I did see it a week ago.

Anything like the one in this picture?
http://notstupid.us/include/picviewer.php/pix/IMG_4322

Yes!!! Like that. I have one just like that. Thanks. Don't go
googling but do you know if they still sell something this small.

I have one that's even smaller, with less space between the slots.
This one has 5/16 *between* where plugs go. My other has about 3/15",
so it's about 1/4" shorter.

What do you intend to use it for??? Why is the small size so
important?

Nothing in particular at the moment, but if they don't sell them
anymore, i have to conserve what I have, and I have pay attention at
yard sales.

Plus I'm still curious why they *don't* sell them anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Likely because they do not meet current requirements as per UL/CSA
whatever - not polarized and only 2 prong are illegal - period.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Nothing in particular at the moment, but if they don't
sell them anymore, i have to conserve what I have, and I
have pay attention at yard sales.

Plus I'm still curious why they *don't* sell them anymore.

Because the ones they *do* sell work fine?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:30:37 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:38:54 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 20:14:24 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 13:02:05 -0400,
wrote:

Plus I'm still curious why they *don't* sell them anymore.
Likely because they do not meet current requirements as per UL/CSA
whatever - not polarized and only 2 prong are illegal - period.

That is not exactly true. As long as both slots are small so a
polarized plug will not fit, they are legal. In fact there are also
non polarized products out there with non polarized plugs. Look at a
wall wart, some double insulated tools or a set of LED christmas
lights.

Many LED Christmas lights ARE polarized. So are many lamps. Double
insulated devices are the onlyones that can get away without polarized
plugs and MOST wall warts fall into that category. More and more
double insulated tools are also getting polarized plugs, at least here
in Canada. It is legal to sell these load devices without polarized
plugs, but at least in Canada there are no non-polarized 2 promg
outlets that pass CSA standards or ULC (Underwriters Labs Canada)
certification - and without one or the other they cannot be legally
sold here.
Don't know for sure about the USA, but suspect the same is true there.

Two things trigger a polarized plug and they are;

Screw shell lamp holders, the shell has to be connected to the
neutral. 2 pin lamps like the small series lights don't.

Single pole switches, the switch must open the hot side, if the switch
is 2 pole or no switch, you don't need a polarized plug.

BUT - ALL outlets must be either polarized or 2 prong grounded. No
ifs, ands or buts. Because nobody knows what someone will try to
connect to it. Hasn't been a non-polarized / ungrounded receptacle
approved for sale in North America for something well on over 10
years. Yes, you still find the occaisional non-approved Chi-junk
products offered for sale - but less and less every year. Now it's
just stuff that looks like it should/could pass inspection, with fake
inspection stickers - - - - .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:44:07 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

Two things trigger a polarized plug and they are;

Screw shell lamp holders, the shell has to be connected to the
neutral. 2 pin lamps like the small series lights don't.

Single pole switches, the switch must open the hot side, if the switch
is 2 pole or no switch, you don't need a polarized plug.

BUT - ALL outlets must be either polarized or 2 prong grounded. No
ifs, ands or buts. Because nobody knows what someone will try to
connect to it. Hasn't been a non-polarized / ungrounded receptacle
approved for sale in North America for something well on over 10
years. Yes, you still find the occaisional non-approved Chi-junk
products offered for sale - but less and less every year. Now it's
just stuff that looks like it should/could pass inspection, with fake
inspection stickers - - - - .

If the receptacle rejects a polarized plug, (2 narrow slots) it is
still legal.

Things that get inspected (permanently installed devices) will have
the polarized spec, simply because that is all they sell.

As an inspector, I can not reject a listed non polarized 2 pin
receptacle if it rejects polarized plug. U/L listings do not expire.
You may still see these in remodels if the wiring was not updated to a
grounding wiring method.

That is why they created the wider pin on the 1-15 plug in the first
place, so the older non-polarized receptacle would reject them.

Which means the old listed stuff can still be sold, but virtually
nothing non-polarized or non-grounded has been listed in the last 10
or more years. You are not seeing much old product still being made
and sold - most of the old manufacturers are not building the old
stuff, and a lot of the companies that made this sruff don't exixt any
more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:50:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message

Nothing in particular at the moment, but if they don't
sell them anymore, i have to conserve what I have, and I
have pay attention at yard sales.

Plus I'm still curious why they *don't* sell them anymore.

Because the ones they *do* sell work fine?

That's the key -- while it's fun to argue the semantics of what's
legal/illegal, listed/non-listed, in the end, those old very skinny
non-polarized plugs, while some may exist, simply aren't very common
anymore -- virtually every one I can see in my house has the wide
skirt, even if (like the laptop cord I just pulled out to check) the
blades themselves are not polarized.

Nobody makes the old tight-pitch adapters because they wouldn't fit
95% of the cords in peoples' houses, so there simply isn't enough
demand to make them, even if they are/were legal. They may also not
want the liability of people trying to jam the new plugs into the
narrow spacing, leaving the blades exposed.

Josh