Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why is there a Title for a Trailer House?

A local Trailer Park is being shut down. The city wants to develop that
land, although I heard it's more because there are too many problems
with the tenants. Whatever the reason, they are going to demolish the
trailers, but will give them away for free to save the cost of
demolition. I got to thinking that my garage has so much stuff in it,
that I cant use it as a garage anymore. A trailer would be a solution,
and for only the cost to have it moved about 10 miles, that seems like a
cheap storage solution.

I contacted the person in charge and was told to just go look at them,
as most are unlocked and open. I went and looked at them, and found
that many of them are in very bad shape. In fact in one of them my foot
nearly went thru the floor, and others have leaking roofs and mold
inside. Sfter seeing those, I was about ready to just forget the whole
idea. But there were a few of them locked, and I was told that the guy
would be there at 3pm. I waited and the first one he unlocked was
really nice inside, and the outside is good also. It even has a
semi-attached garage which is also quite nice, and is included, as long
as I dismantle it, or find a way to move it.

I told the guy that I'd take that one. I found a guy who will move it
for a fair price and was ready to begin removing the skirting and
figuring out what to do with that garage. That's when the guy in charge
told me that he had bad news. He said there is no title for that
trailer.

First off, I never knew that house trailers even have titles, and now
I'm wondering why???? It's not like they are driven down the road on a
regular basis.

I live on a farm, and I dont plan to move it once it's here. It will
remain here permanently. If I sell the farm, it will stay. So why do I
need a title? If I build a house, small cabin, or shed, that dont have
a title. In fact some years ago, I did build a cabin for guests when
they visit, and when the weather is very hot, I often sleep in there
because it's small, and thus it cools better for much less power use
than in my house.

I asked a local guy who used to work for a real estate company, and he
said that since it will be used for storage that I probably dont need
the title, but if I was to live in it, it would need a title. I asked
him why, and told him what I said above (if I build a house, small
cabin, or shed, that dont have a title.). He said that he really does
not know why, and explained that he only assisted realtors, by mostly
doing repairs for them, and went on to say he did not take any training,
and dont know the legal aspects.

So, that leaves me puzzled..... Why is a title needed?

Note: From the looks of things, the person in charge has said that he
will give me the key, and "look the other way" if I want it, as long as
it's not kept inside the city limits. So I guess I can have it without
a title, since it's going on a farm quite a distance from the city. He
also told me that I CAN NOT live in it without a title, but for storage
it should not matter. (which makes no sense at all). But that still
dont explain the need for a title???????

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Go to your state's DMV website and look up the requirements for what types
of trailers require a title.

A title is used to prove ownership. If there is a lien (e.g. a mortgage)
against the trailer, the title will show that. If you take possession
without a clear title, there's a (slim) chance that a bank or other lien
holder could repossess the trailer if there is an outstanding loan on it.

Instead of talking to a guy that does repairs for a real estate company,
why don't you call an actual real estate agent for an explanation?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 08:10:06 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:39:23 -0500, wrote in
Re Why is there a Title
for a Trailer House?:

So, that leaves me puzzled..... Why is a title needed?

It's my understanding that state laws *define* a mobile home as a
vehicle. They then do the title stuff so they can 1) tax it, 2)
provide a central location to keep records (liens) about it, and most
importantly 3) control it.

Check with the DMV as to what records they have for it. Just because
the city doesn't have the title paper, doesn't mean that a record
doesn't exist. Also, you can probably get a replacement title paper
from the DMV if you can prove that you own it.

I wonder what would happen if I was to build a cabin with wheels under
it? I'm not planning to do this, but that would be a "portable cabin",
meaning it could be moved. I wonder how that would qualify, regarding a
title?

I have seen this done. Some guy bought some land to hunt on, and did
not want to build a permanent structure. He build a rather nice cabin
on the frame which I believe came from a semi-truck trailer. He had a
hitch on the front, and stored it on his land, but he would also haul it
and use when he went camping. It's my opinion that this would qualify
as a RV camper, even though it was home built. I spoke with the guy
when he was at a campsite and got to see the interior of it. He built a
really nice cabin, and I was impressed. But I never bothered to ask
about title or licensing at that time.

I have also seen people get a trailer home, and build it into a house.
In fact I visited some people once who had what looked like a regular
house from the outside, but when you got inside there was a trailer
inside of it. They said that they originally lived in just the trailer
and kept building around it until it became a house. It still had many
of the trailer rooms inside such as the original bathroom, but the
trailer was completely enclosed inside the house, including a roof over
the entire building, with the original trailer roof now inside the
attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 4, 2013 4:31:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I wonder what would happen if I was to build a cabin with wheels under
it? I'm not planning to do this, but that would be a "portable cabin",
meaning it could be moved. I wonder how that would qualify, regarding a
title?

If the "trailer" never left your property, then you wouldn't have to do anything.

If you were planning on LEGALLY moving it down public highways, even just once, you would need to have it licensed and titled as a "home built" trailer in many states.

I have seen this done. Some guy bought some land to hunt on, and did
not want to build a permanent structure. He build a rather nice cabin
on the frame which I believe came from a semi-truck trailer. He had a
hitch on the front, and stored it on his land, but he would also haul it
and use when he went camping. It's my opinion that this would qualify
as a RV camper, even though it was home built. I spoke with the guy
when he was at a campsite and got to see the interior of it. He built a
really nice cabin, and I was impressed. But I never bothered to ask
about title or licensing at that time.

Either he got it titled and licensed, or he's towing it illegally. That's the long and short of it.

Paranoid whack-jobs will claim that the cops have nothing better to do than hassle innocent people for no reason, but the truth is they do. You've got to be misbehaving something awful on the road to get pulled over.

Just cruising down the road straight and level with what appears to be a legally-licensed trailer from 500' away, they will not bother you. All they care is the trailer is not whipping around behind you, nothing is falling off, and the license plate has the correct color sticker on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

First, check your state from the list on this site.
http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/titl...-mobile-homes/

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/3/2013 5:39 AM, wrote:
....[long story elided for brevity]...

I told the guy that I'd take that one. I found a guy who will move it
for a fair price and was ready to begin removing the skirting and
figuring out what to do with that garage. That's when the guy in charge
told me that he had bad news. He said there is no title for that
trailer.

First off, I never knew that house trailers even have titles, and now
I'm wondering why???? ...

... But that still dont explain the need for a title???????

Because it's what State law in your state seems to say is why.

It's generally so and as others have noted if it is so in the state then
it is the legal documentation that confers ownership.

Occupancy and all the rest are controlled by the local jurisdiction's rules.

I live on a farm, and I dont plan to move it once it's here. It will
remain here permanently. If I sell the farm, it will stay. So why do I
need a title? If I build a house, small cabin, or shed, that dont

[doesn't] have a title.

No, real property has a deed instead.

Again, you need what you need because of what state law is in the state
of residence. There is (and need not be) any other reason than that.
"Rules is rules"...

As others have noted, in such an instance if the area you reside in is
unzoned you may be able to get buy w/o doing anything; if, otoh it is
zoned and subject to such ordinances then you could find you've got a
sticky wicket if you ignore the niceties upfront.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:39:23 -0500, wrote:

So, that leaves me puzzled..... Why is a title needed?

Does this mean they won't let you have it, at your own risk? Maybe
you can just sign something promising to hold the vendor/giver and r
realtor and list anyone else involved harmless if you have expenses
down the road because there is no title. Maybe it can't happen here
but in some cases, the owner would come back, find the trailer or your
land, and force you to buy a shed to hold its contents so he can tow
away the trailer. Or even, though he might be liable in the long run,
he might be hard to find (even though he has this big trailer with
him) after he throws everything you own out into the rain and mud the
rainy night he decides to tow away the trailer, maybe even the night
you go away on your two week vacation so it all sits out there in the
rain or people driving buy pick over the stuff and take most of it
away.

If you're willing to bear the risk of that happening, there's no
reason you shouldn't sign the paper described above. If they'll
accept that.

Why wouldn't you be? Well, just guessing, and with no experience in
anything related to this, without the title they had a hard time
notifying the owner that they were going to demolish the trailers.
Maybe the original owner died and the county has hired a private
detective to try to find heirs. Maybe they'll never find an heir or
the time limit on looking is up soon, so the risk to you is verrrry
small. Even if they do find one, what are the odds he'll throw your
stuff in the mud. Probably zero.

Things to ask about. "Why doesn't this one have a title when the
others do?" seems more important than why to trailers need a title.

Most problems that one can imagine never really happen, so I'd take it
if I could get it, even with the small risks I listed, which may or
may not be real.

OTOH, the reason such a nice one is left might be that it doesn't have
a title. If it did, maybe it would be gone by now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Here, it would need plates to move, which requires a title.
A trailer without plates on some land requires taxes, but if it has plate,
no tax.
If no plate, and accident, big problem. You can also get ticket.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013 03:23:58 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Here, it would need plates to move, which requires a title.

Legally, but cops will sometimes give someone a break. My friend
was pulling my little trailer with no lights and no plate, and he
would do this at dawn so there was light but very little traffic, and
the cop caught him about to turn right 200 yards from his home. The
cop said don't do it again.

I bought a new used car, which I couldn't register until I owned it.
Was going to take the bus to the DMV but something came up and I had
to drive. Which would be worse, to drive with no plates or with
plates from the old car which didn't match this car and which were
dirty, in contrast to the new clean car. Chose the latter, got
stopped 5 blocks away from my house, not headed home. Cop looked at
the hand written bill of sale, from the previous day, and let me go.
Didn't get stopped the rest of the day (driving time maybe only 20
minutes.)

Here it's a little complicated and he can plead confusiion. Plus
which I should have mentioned first, didn't he hire someone to tow it?
Does that require plates or a title? I think they tow cars without
plates all the time.

A trailer without plates on some land requires taxes, but if it has plate,
no tax.
If no plate, and accident, big problem. You can also get ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/4/2013 5:58 AM, micky wrote:

Legally, but cops will sometimes give someone a break. My friend
was pulling my little trailer with no lights and no plate, and he
would do this at dawn so there was light but very little traffic, and
the cop caught him about to turn right 200 yards from his home. The
cop said don't do it again.

Wouldn't be so lucky here, I'd wager...they're straight by-the-book on
trailers--_might_ have let him go home with it that close but I'd not
even bet on that; generally you park 'em where they catch you until
you've got a legal setup no matter where/no matter what.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On 10/4/2013 5:58 AM, micky wrote:

Legally, but cops will sometimes give someone a break. My friend
was pulling my little trailer with no lights and no plate, and he
would do this at dawn so there was light but very little traffic, and
the cop caught him about to turn right 200 yards from his home. The
cop said don't do it again.

Wouldn't be so lucky here, I'd wager...they're straight by-the-book on
trailers--_might_ have let him go home with it that close but I'd not
even bet on that; generally you park 'em where they catch you until
you've got a legal setup no matter where/no matter what.

--

I don't know where your "here" is, but I'd be surprised if any locale made
you "park 'em where they catch you" in all cases.

If Officer Friendly sees me towing an illegal trailer down the busiest
street in your town, be it a major highway or Main Street, I'd be surprised
if the cops made me park it right there. Seems like a major safety and/or
traffic congestion issue to me.

Even if (s)he followed me until I turned onto a side street, perhaps your
street, do you think (s)he'd make me leave an illegal trailer parked in
front of your house until I had all of the correct documents? I'm sure you
wouldn't like that very much.

I'm not really sure what (s)he might make me do, but "park 'em where they
catch you" doesn't seem like it would always be the best choice.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/4/2013 9:13 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

It was a descriptive writing, not absolutely literal.

And ain't best for the one stopped, agreed...they'll have you drag it
off the street to the nearest parking lot or side street and not be
movin' it 'til you are legal, however. I've seen it on everything from
the local DIY pickup-box to the gooseneck commercial oilfield guys on
their way to/from a job; no mercy given that I've observed and I'd not
risk it here w/o checking first on a special case like OP's.

It's at least moderately likely on an old trailer like OP's they'd make
you move it like a house rather than pull it given it's likely the tires
are rotten if there are any left and all else likely substandard...if
you got it permitted w/ escort and all you _might_ get by but not just
trying to sneak 'er by under the radar--then you'll be really cross-ways
w/ 'em to start with by knowingly trying to skirt the rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 06:58:42 -0400, micky
wrote:

Here it's a little complicated and he can plead confusiion. Plus
which I should have mentioned first, didn't he hire someone to tow it?
Does that require plates or a title? I think they tow cars without
plates all the time.

This brings to mind what happened to me when I was 18 years old. I had
a learners permit to drive. Not an actual license yet. My father would
take me out to teach me to drive, but he could be really difficult to
drive with since he seemed to be a nervous wreck the whole time.

A friend of mine was selling his car, and I spoke to him about it. He
said that I should take it for a test drive. I told him that he would
need to come along since I needed a licensed driver in the car. He did,
and I bought the car, with the agreement that he would come along with
me a few more times to drive. This all worked out fine.

A few months later I was driving, with another licensed friend in the
car, when my car quit running. That guy went and got his car, put a
chain on my car, and was pulling my car to a mechanic. I was steering
my car while he pulled it. We got pulled over by the police. The cop
asked for my license and I gave him my learners permit. He told me that
since I did not have a licensed driver in my car, he had to give me a
ticket. I explained to him that my "instructor" was the guy who was
towing me, and since my car broke down, he was teaching me how to tow a
car. The cop said that I really needed another licensed person in my
car, but said that this was an unusual circumstance and that I needed to
speak with the city attorney, who would decided if I should be ticketed
or not.

The city attorney looked at the paperwork and said "this is the first
time I've seen this sort of thing". Then he said "I'm really not sure
if this is a violation of the law or not, since it's unusual". He then
asked me if I could get my license in the next two weeks. I told him
that I could do that. He told me to get my license, and call him when I
did, with the license number, and then he would drop the whole thing. I
got my license and it was dropped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 15:52:27 -0500, wrote:

This brings to mind what happened to me when I was 18 years old

Oops, I get it. This is Home Guy!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Here, it would need plates to move, which requires a title.

Never mind my previous post. You were actually answering his
question, which is also in the subject line. I was back at the
practical issues, which he actually didn't ask about.

A trailer without plates on some land requires taxes, but if it has plate,
no tax.
If no plate, and accident, big problem. You can also get ticket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

It basically comes down to the different classes of "house trailers".
There are RVs (which might actually look like a mobile homes but lack
HUD approvals).
There are Mobile homes that can be towed, you can take the wheels off
and permanently install them (have HUD approval)
There are manufactured homes that may be one or more manufactured
modules that are always permanently installed.

Each state deals with them differently. Some like Florida, consider
the first two a motor vehicle and you may even need to buy a tag every
year for it.
The last is seen as a building.

It is really all about the taxes and how they collect them.

I talked with some friends that were in the housing business. They were
putting together a modular home. They went to a factory and down one side
were double wide mobile homes and the other side were modular homes. The
only differance you could really see was the mobile homes have a title and
modular ones don't . Behind my dads house was a single wide trailer . It
was old and could not be replaced by another trailer by the county trailer
zoning rules. The move in somethng that looked just like a single wide
trailer, but it did not have a title and was called a modular home.

Seems that calling a trailer al modular home by the ones that make it gets
around the zoning rules.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:55:41 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 11:10:10 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That all gets back to that HUD approval.

If it is HUD approved, it can be called a home, not a trailer/RV.

Nope. HUD approval is only for HUD approved loans (or mortgages that
may be packaged and sold to HUD). Many homes aren't HUD approved but
are real estate. In many places a mobile home (trailer) that has its
hitch cut off ant axles removed becomes real estate.

In Florida it is virtually impossible to install a mobile home these
days. None I have ever heard of meet the new wind code (although they
may be making one)
If you are grandfathered in, you can keep it but it can't be moved or
replaced.

Everywhere in Florida? That's dumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 05:39:23 -0500, wrote:

But that still
dont explain the need for a title???????

If you are putting it somewhere that the county.state does not know
about, you don't need the title in any practical sense.

It basically comes down to the different classes of "house trailers".
There are RVs (which might actually look like a mobile homes but lack
HUD approvals).
There are Mobile homes that can be towed, you can take the wheels off
and permanently install them (have HUD approval)
There are manufactured homes that may be one or more manufactured
modules that are always permanently installed.

Each state deals with them differently. Some like Florida, consider
the first two a motor vehicle and you may even need to buy a tag every
year for it.
The last is seen as a building.

It is really all about the taxes and how they collect them.

At the risk of repeating myself, a title is not just "all about the taxes".

From my state's DMV website:

"...a title certificate proves ownership of a car, truck, motorcycle,
motorboat or manufactured home. The title is used to transfer it to another
owner."

Since it is often the case that it's the owner that is responsible for the
taxes, in that regard the title could be said to be "about the taxes".
However, it's also very much (even more so) about who actually owns the
property and who has the right to transfer it to another party.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Thu, 3 Oct 2013 15:36:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

[...]

From my state's DMV website:

"...a title certificate proves ownership of a car, truck, motorcycle,
motorboat or manufactured home. The title is used to transfer it to another
owner."

Since it is often the case that it's the owner that is responsible for the
taxes, in that regard the title could be said to be "about the taxes".
However, it's also very much (even more so) about who actually owns the
property and who has the right to transfer it to another party.

All "tags" are about the taxes. There are plenty of things that move
around in commerce that are worth more than a 1974 Gremlin but you
still need tags and a title for that Gremlin.

Read what you wrote.

Earlier you said titles were all about axes, now you say "all tags" about
taxes.

At first I assumed you were grouping tags and titles together, but then you
finished with "you need tags and a title for that Gremlin." That means you
consider them 2 different things - which they are.

Titles establish ownership. Taxes may or not be the responsibility of the
owner but the title isn't directly about taxes, it's about ownership.

At the
www.dmv.org, if you look at the title transfer page for various
states, you'll read things such as...

"A title is a legal document that signifies ownership in a piece of
property" (ND)
"A title, or pink slip, proves that you own your vehicle" (NY)
"A title is proof of legal ownership of a vehicle" (AK)
"The document referred to as a title is what designates one individual (or
more) as the legal owner of a vehicle" (TX)

Once again, a title establishes ownership. How taxes are associated with
the title holder is established by the tax code for that taxing
jurisdiction, but that is not the same as saying that the title "is all
about the taxes".

The title is all about ownership.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 writes:

wrote:
[...]

From my state's DMV website:

[...]

Yep.

And the OP should realize since there is no title, there is
a good probability that he's taking possession of stolen
property with the risks that entails.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Oct 2013 13:15:03 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

DerbyDad03 writes:

wrote:
[...]

From my state's DMV website:

[...]

Under the described circumstances, the chance of it being "stolen"
is extremely slim - and if the "seller" gives a "bill of sale" saying
he has given posession to the OP, the OP can apply for clear title
from the courts or DMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 1:15:03 PM UTC-4, net cop wrote:
Yep.

And the OP should realize since there is no title, there is

a good probability that he's taking possession of stolen

property with the risks that entails.

And of course, if it burns down and somebody is killed, your insurance won't pay off.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Senior Member

If you ask me, the people who work in the City department that's responsible for giving those trailers away are wanting to keep the good ones for themselves.

What they should do is auction the trailers off instead. That way, city workers have no advantage over the general public in acquiring them.

I think this business about having no "Title" is just BS. They want to get rid of the OP cuz they want to keep the nice trailers for themselves and give away the ones that are falling apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From my state's DMV website:

"...a title certificate proves ownership of a car, truck, motorcycle,
motorboat or manufactured home. The title is used to transfer it to another
owner."

Since it is often the case that it's the owner that is responsible for the
taxes, in that regard the title could be said to be "about the taxes".
However, it's also very much (even more so) about who actually owns the
property and who has the right to transfer it to another party.

All "tags" are about the taxes. There are plenty of things that move
around in commerce that are worth more than a 1974 Gremlin but you
still need tags and a title for that Gremlin.

You do *NOT* need tags for that Gremlin. You only need tags for it if
you drive it on public roads. Mobile homes do not get tags unless
they are moved on public roads (the company moving them has temporary
tags for this). A title is required to prove ownership. That is all.

AUTO AND HOUSE TRAILER J T Woodworking 0 November 12th 07 04:54 PM
Using a boat trailer as a utility trailer? Toller Home Repair 7 May 2nd 07 02:17 PM
Trailer House Electrical Nightmare Pop Home Repair 10 September 27th 05 04:56 PM
Title Insurance For House Being Purchased Questions ? Robert11 Home Ownership 14 February 22nd 05 07:08 AM
Title Search & Title Insurance Questions Caliban Home Ownership 13 July 31st 03 10:09 PM