Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any way to remove water stains from wallpaper?

Is there a way to remove water stains from wallpaper that works?

The paper is only a few years old. It's a light green color and has very
little texture (not a grass cloth).

I ran a search and came up with a few hits:

This one has a multi-step process that seems like it might work.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...rom-wallpaper/

This one is somewhat similar and uses Oxiclean.

http://www.howtodothings.com/how-to-...from-wallpaper

This one recommends first trying a pencil eraser, then a mild
dishwashing liquid, and then bleach.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5002363_remo...wallpaper.html

This one recommends bleach, then soap, then soda.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5453133_wate...wallpaper.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 08:25:04 -0700, Jennifer Murphy
wrote:

Is there a way to remove water stains from wallpaper that works?

The paper is only a few years old. It's a light green color and has very
little texture (not a grass cloth).

I ran a search and came up with a few hits:

This one has a multi-step process that seems like it might work.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...rom-wallpaper/

This one is somewhat similar and uses Oxiclean.

http://www.howtodothings.com/how-to-...from-wallpaper

This one recommends first trying a pencil eraser, then a mild
dishwashing liquid, and then bleach.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5002363_remo...wallpaper.html

This one recommends bleach, then soap, then soda.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5453133_wate...wallpaper.html

IMHO: The first URL, looks the most knowledeable. However, I would modify
by substituting DISTILLED water for the water, [you don't want any
unwanted chemical reactions from stuff in your 'water'] and a wetting
agent like Jet-Dri for the detergent/soap [don't want to leave residues
from perfumes and unknown chemicals in the soap].

And watch out for bleach. Bleach can oxidize the 'stain' [which may be
your wallpaper's dye] possibly rendering the dye molecules soluble, and
then the water removes the dye - permanently, or, the oxygen bonds
permanently to the dye molecule, thus creating a 'light' patch that you'll
NEVER get rid of. But if large enough and uniform enough, may be
acceptable.

Essentially, you are 'spreading' the wet spot out so far it is not
noticeable.

Also, be careful to avoid abrasion to the surface. Translates to blot,
don't rub. Take your time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd start with the least aggressive approach first, ie
a cleaning solution like 409, fantastic, etc. that doesn't
have bleach. If that doesn't work, then I'd move on to
the oxyclean type, followed by a cleaner with bleach.
Depending on how bad it's stained, it may be impossible
to remove totally.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2013 11:25 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:
Is there a way to remove water stains from wallpaper that works?

The paper is only a few years old. It's a light green color and has very
little texture (not a grass cloth).

I ran a search and came up with a few hits:

What kind of wallpaper....plain uncoated or vinyl? What was the source
of the water? If it is vinyl coated, the stain could be behind the
vinyl, which would probably be impossible to remove. A Magic Eraser
might work, although I doubt it....they are abrasive but very gentle,
and you don't want to dull the surface of the paper.

I would try a mild solution of bleach and water (1:20 or more dilute)
and dab it on the least conspicuous area....leave for a few minutes and
then blot with plain water and blot dry. If you saturate the wallpaper,
you might either make a worse stain or loosen the paper. Bleach can
also oxidize paper and turn it yellow or brown.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:34:46 -0700,
wrote:

...snip...

I'd start with the least aggressive approach first, ie
a cleaning solution like 409, fantastic, etc. that doesn't
have bleach. If that doesn't work, then I'd move on to
the oxyclean type, followed by a cleaner with bleach.
Depending on how bad it's stained, it may be impossible
to remove totally.

think about what exactly this stain is. It is probably the dyes being
moved around by the water. In which case, you don't want to 'clean' the
stain merely redistribute it back to what was there originally.

We once had hand painted wallpaper that cost over $300 per roll back when
$300 was more like $1,000, seriously. This paper [at least to me was pure
cr**] was chalky one of the stiffest backing I'd ever seen, more like
cardboard, with instructions of 'never let water touch the paper' say
what?! and use low, to non-existent water base glues! I actually put it
up with double edged tape!

I have to tell you it was beautiful, but...

One of the small pieces got water on it, and sure enough the dyes migrated
out following the water's edges. I don't think 409 would have done
anything here but make it worse. So, my point is, *if* it's truly a stain,
clean it; but if it is the dyes migrating out to the edges, be CAREFUL!

Working with this paper was like having a water spot on one of my wife's
silk blouses! Would you put 409 on that? No. You just add water and try
and blend the spot in.