Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove stains on matt water-based emulsion?

Are there any tricks or tips for getting stains off water-based
emulsion painted walls? Mainly splashes from over-enthusiastic
washing-up I think, or possibly instant coffee! Apparently they are
all my fault and nothing to do with the wife's cooking!

I've tried water and a bit of washing up liquid (to remove them) but no
joy. Assume I cannot use anything too abrasive or vigorous.

Or should I just paint over the stains with more of the same paint?

(I believe it has to be water based emulsion as it's a newly built /
plastered surface.)

Thanks!

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:38:03 GMT, Peter Boulton
wrote:

Are there any tricks or tips for getting stains off water-based
emulsion painted walls? Mainly splashes from over-enthusiastic
washing-up I think, or possibly instant coffee! Apparently they are
all my fault and nothing to do with the wife's cooking!

I've tried water and a bit of washing up liquid (to remove them) but no
joy. Assume I cannot use anything too abrasive or vigorous.

Or should I just paint over the stains with more of the same paint?

(I believe it has to be water based emulsion as it's a newly built /
plastered surface.)

If it's greasy then bio washing powder dissolved in some warm water
works well. I wouldn't paint over it unless it is clean as the stain
may prevent the paint bonding to the wall.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Peter Boulton wrote:
Are there any tricks or tips for getting stains off water-based emulsion
painted walls? Mainly splashes from over-enthusiastic washing-up I
think, or possibly instant coffee! Apparently they are all my fault and
nothing to do with the wife's cooking!

I've tried water and a bit of washing up liquid (to remove them) but no
joy. Assume I cannot use anything too abrasive or vigorous.

Or should I just paint over the stains with more of the same paint?

(I believe it has to be water based emulsion as it's a newly built /
plastered surface.)

Thanks!

Pete

As was mentioned here the other day (in a slightly different context)
Magic Eraser/melamine foam blocks. Use gently - they are abrasive but
are fine if not used over-zealously.

--
Rod

onset.