Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Surge Protective Receptacles

Folks here helped me in another thread about whole house surge
protection in the electrical breaker panel.

The other day TOH had an episode on the methods for homes; including,
the use of _Surge Protective Receptacles_.

One was installed behind a wall mounted television panel. It has an
alarm that sounds when it reaches end of life service. Thought I
would mention it to folks.

Samples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39994&minisite=10251&it emsPerPage=All
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:13:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

Folks here helped me in another thread about whole house surge
protection in the electrical breaker panel.

The other day TOH had an episode on the methods for homes; including,
the use of _Surge Protective Receptacles_.

One was installed behind a wall mounted television panel. It has an
alarm that sounds when it reaches end of life service. Thought I
would mention it to folks.

Samples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39994&minisite=10251&it emsPerPage=All

If the receptacle doesn't also get the cable coming into the TV you
may create more problems than you fix,.
A strip with a TV jack is the best way to go.

And those outlets are ~ $37

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:50:37 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:13:07 -0700, Oren wrote:

Folks here helped me in another thread about whole house surge

protection in the electrical breaker panel.

The other day TOH had an episode on the methods for homes; including,

the use of _Surge Protective Receptacles_.

One was installed behind a wall mounted television panel. It has an

alarm that sounds when it reaches end of life service. Thought I

would mention it to folks.

Samples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39994&minisite=10251&it emsPerPage=All

If the receptacle doesn't also get the cable coming into the TV you

may create more problems than you fix,.

A strip with a TV jack is the best way to go.

Yes, for effective protection you want the cable TV
cable to go through the surge protector too. And if the
TV is connected to something else, eg Tivo, DVD player, etc,
those should be plugged into the same surge protector as
well. I could see using the receptacle type ones for
special situations, eg where no space is available, but
for general purpose use, I would go with the strip type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2013 11:50 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:13:07 -0700, wrote:

Folks here helped me in another thread about whole house surge
protection in the electrical breaker panel.

The other day TOH had an episode on the methods for homes; including,
the use of _Surge Protective Receptacles_.

One was installed behind a wall mounted television panel. It has an
alarm that sounds when it reaches end of life service. Thought I
would mention it to folks.

Samples:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=39994&minisite=10251&it emsPerPage=All

If the receptacle doesn't also get the cable coming into the TV you
may create more problems than you fix,.
A strip with a TV jack is the best way to go.

I strongly agree. When using a point-of-use protector all interconnected
equipment needs to be connected to the same protector and all external
external connections, including phone, cable, dish, need to go through
the protector.

IMHO the electrical in TOH leaves something to be desired. I thought
this one was bad advice when I saw the episode. In Ask-TOH there was a
roof-top TV antenna installation that seriously violated the NEC and was
contrary to the installation instructions from the manufacturer.

The receptacle is UL1449 listed, but I suspect the ratings are lower
than what I would want. I did not find ratings in a rather limited
search at the URL above.