Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light fixture wattage limit Halgen vs Incandescent

Hi,

I am a little confused. If someone with electrical experience can answer, I would appreciate it.

I have a ceiling light fixture that has space for two bulbs. It states that the wattage limit is 60W per bulb. Now with everyone using Halogen bulbs, can I place 2x 53W Halogen Bulbs - which produce the same lumens as a 75W incandescent bulb, or do I need to ensure that the lumen output does not exceed that of the 60W incandescent, which would mean a 43W Halogen bulb?

I hope the question makes sense. I know that halogens produce more heat than incandescent, so I am not sure what the Wattage limit is about - is the the heat that is produced, or is it about the energy that is drawn?

I would appreciate a response - dont want to take any risks, but would love to maximise the lumen output.

Please note, only Halogen or Incandescent bulbs can be used in this specific fitting.

Thank you in advance.