Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the highest wattage incandescent

What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a
standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W.
But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby
fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the
60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.

I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am
wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF
bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Mark,

I believe the largest general service, medium screw (E26) base
incandescent available today is the 300-watt PS30. Beyond that, you
would be looking at a larger, mogul or E39 base.

There are a growing number of increasingly higher wattage CFLs coming
to market (e.g., 200-watts) but they're both big and expensive.

How big you ask? This page should give you a pretty good idea:

See:
http://lightingresearch.org/programs...L/abstract.asp

How much? Well, this one retails for $78.46 so be careful not to drop
it.

See:
http://www.1000bulbs.com/products.ph...t-Fluorescents

Note, however, this CFL has a mogul base and its light output is (we
presume) considerably more than the 1,200 lumens stated.

The medium base 55-watt CFL noted below claims to offer the same
amount of light as a 250-watt incandescent, but that doesn't seem to
be the case. A Sylvania 200-watt A21 incandescent produces 3,880
lumens or 380 lumens more than what is listed here.

See:
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com...ct_68_prd1.htm

Cheers,
Paul

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:57:24 -0600, wrote:

What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a
standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W.
But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby
fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the
60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.

I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am
wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF
bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the highest wattage incandescent bulbs made, that will fit a
standard socket? Normally the highest I see in most stores is 150W.
But I used to work at a school and they had 300W bulbs in their lobby
fixtures. I seem to recall seeing 500W bulbs when I was a kid in the
60s. But it seems to me they may have had larger bases.

I am asking this because I just want to know, but also because I am
wondering how high the compact florescents will go. I just saw a CF
bulb that claims to be equivalent to 150W but uses 42w.

Mark

I have a light bar used in the 60's for 8mm filming indoors. It uses
four 500 watt bulbs. They have the standard base but the glass is
bigger.

You could not have run that on a 15A fuse or breaker.
According to
http://www.jobsite-generators.com/po...lculators.html
You'd need 16.67 Amps (rounded off).
You almost need a dedicated 20A circuit.

Now, according to the tv show "Home Improvement" this would be
approaching a "BOYS LIGHT", but nothing short of 100,000 WATTS will
really get the male testosterone flowing. Just ask Tim Taylor.
100,000 WATTS would need to be a 240 volt bulb and would require a
500amp service, since just one of these bulbs would be sucking 417Amps
at 240Volts. Now thats a REAL MANS bulb......
* (Of course, it might require more than one large man to carry the
huge filament inside that bulb).

The closest single bulb I could find is a 1,500Watt bulb
http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=10241

That's not powerful enough for "Tool Time" !!!!!!

----
This message is not certified by "Underwriters Laboratories".

Power Crazy
Posted to alt.home.repair

You could not have run that on a 15A fuse or breaker.
According to
http://www.jobsite-generators.com/po...lculators.html
You'd need 16.67 Amps (rounded off).
You almost need a dedicated 20A circuit.

Now, according to the tv show "Home Improvement" this would be
approaching a "BOYS LIGHT", but nothing short of 100,000 WATTS will
really get the male testosterone flowing. Just ask Tim Taylor.
100,000 WATTS would need to be a 240 volt bulb and would require a
500amp service, since just one of these bulbs would be sucking 417Amps
at 240Volts. Now thats a REAL MANS bulb......
* (Of course, it might require more than one large man to carry the
huge filament inside that bulb).

I'll bet it would get really hot in that lamp for the guys in there
carrying the filament inside that bulb. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit