Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Structural Pipe Flange?

I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.

My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.

The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.

Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?

Or am I over-thinking this?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete,

I think that the galvanised flanges will work for a mock up and some test
sails. Use two flanges., one on each side of the larboard. Have the threaded
pipe go through the larboard and thread into both flanges. Tighten the
flanges as if they were nuts to make a flange-larboard-flange sandwich.
Using the bolt holes on one flange drill through the larboard and the other
flange. Bolt both flanges and the larboard together. I' d really tighten
these bolts. I'd use loctite to secure the pipe to the flanges.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/5/13 5:49 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.
My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.
The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.
Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?
Or am I over-thinking this?

Would adding a pipe coupling nut to the bottom help enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 18:49:35 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.

My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.

The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.

Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?

Or am I over-thinking this?

Those flange threads are plenty deep for a secure fitting.
I used 2 of them - 3/4" - on porch ceiling joists to make a chinning
bar with galvanized pipe.
Used it almost daily for years. I weighed about 200 lbs then.
It was always rock solid.
Of course the flanges were flat on the joists.
Your issue is turning it 90 degrees from the board, which requires
welding on a bracket, unless you go with made-up wood bracket.
Any weakness will be in that, not the threads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.

My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.

The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.

Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?

Or am I over-thinking this?
--
Pete Cresswell

If you are concerned, you can buy weld on flanges.
Pointless using galv. BTW on a temporary lash up.