Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Structural Pipe Flange?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.

My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.

The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.

Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?

Or am I over-thinking this?
--
Pete Cresswell

If you are concerned, you can buy weld on flanges.
Pointless using galv. BTW on a temporary lash up.