Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Structural Pipe Flange?

On 9/5/13 5:49 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I want to bread-board a lee board bracket for a sailing canoe as in
http://tinyurl.com/lokr9c7

But, until I get proof-of-concept, I want to use something cheap - like
galvanized pipe instead of dropping a bundle on stainless steel.
My problem is where the horizontal tube/pipe connects to the lee board.
In the picture, he is using a marine "Stanction Bracket" that is
designed to provide a certain amount of strength.
The pipe flanges I see at Home Depot (e.g. http://tinyurl.com/loqdxgk)
don't look like they're going to take much of the kind of stress the lee
board is going to put on it - mainly because the threads do not look
deep enough.
Can anybody think of something else? Some term that I can Google?
Or am I over-thinking this?

Would adding a pipe coupling nut to the bottom help enough?