Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are stainless steel braided supply lines really better?

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 19:35:49 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 8/27/17 4:37 PM, wrote:

On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:49:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 30 August 2013 02:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break and flood
my house than regular lines made of just nylon reinforced rubber?
I ended up using soft copper tubing because I wasn't sure, but
copper wouldn't be practical for a dishwasher. So are there steel
braided supply lines that have reinforced hoses in them?

Actually "yes" but generally sold as hydraulic lines. Just about
anything is more vibration and fatigue resistant than "soft copper"
which work hardens.

You must be thinking about something besides hydraulic lines,
at least the ones I'm familiar with. The ones I see are black and
usually 1/2". Working pressure even 40 years ago was 2000 psi.
Modern ones are rated for 3,500 psi. These are for farm equipment,
telehandlers, skid loaders, etc.

Just what I'm saying - There ARE steel braded hoses with
re-enforvements IN them - BUT they are hydraulic lines.

Actually there are nylon re-enforced hoses with stainless steel braid
covering - but generally not from "the borg"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Home Depot, Lowes has plenty of them in assorted lengths for hooking up faucets
and dishwashers. Keep it up, you're 2 for 2!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 6:55:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:37:31 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

On Friday, 30 August 2013 02:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break and flood
my house than regular lines made of just nylon reinforced rubber?
I ended up using soft copper tubing because I wasn't sure, but
copper wouldn't be practical for a dishwasher. So are there steel
braided supply lines that have reinforced hoses in them?

No

Actually "yes" but generally sold as hydraulic lines. Just about
anything is more vibration and fatigue resistant than "soft copper"
which work hardens.

The stainless hoses sold at the BORG are far from hydraulic quality.
My neighbor lost one that was only a few years old and flooded his
garage. If this was inside the house it would have really been ugly.

Who was asking for or expecting "hyrdaulic line" quality? I think
you're confusing quality and specification. The poster was asking
if the stainless steel covered hoses for dishwashers are better than
hoses for the same purpose that are not stainless steel covered.
Are you telling us that he shouldn't use those stainless steel hoses,
that are widely sold at HD, plumbing supplies, etc, that are here in
my house, that you see in almost every new faucet install today?
That instead he should use what? Clare's hydraulic lines? If he
can't use them for a dishwasher, then I guess they are unfit for
every sink too. Are Clare's hydraulic lines spec'd for drinking
water? The poster thinks he can't use copper tubing for a dishwasher,
but I have it on mine, no install issues. IDK, maybe it's just me,
but I doubt the install instructions that come with new fixtures
and appliances today say that you need to go get hydraulic lines
to hook them up. I'd feel pretty weird going into a plumbing supply
and asking for hydraulic lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 14:10:29 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 27 Aug 2017 09:41:14p, told us...

wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break
and flood my house than regular lines made of just nylon
reinforced rubber? I ended up using soft copper tubing because
I wasn't sure, but copper wouldn't be practical for a
dishwasher. So are there steel braided supply lines that have
reinforced hoses in them?

I had quick failure of both that I tried on a water heater -
within a year or 3.

I'd NEVER use flex hoses to install a water heater myself - - -

We don't have a water heater as our hot water is supplied from a
central boiler. However, our dishwasher, kitchen and bathroom sink
faucets, toilets, clothes washer, and water supply for the steam
cycle in our cloths dryer are all plumbed with SS braided supply
lines. We've never had a problem. I believe the SS braiding
enclosing the vinyl hose definitely helps to prevent a burst in the
line.

Most hot water heaters in our area have flexible copper pipes for
both supply and output.

Around here it's either hard copper or PEX.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 16:51:40 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 8/27/17 3:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 27, 2017 at 3:22:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:49:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Friday, 30 August 2013 02:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break and flood
my house than regular lines made of just nylon reinforced rubber?
I ended up using soft copper tubing because I wasn't sure, but
copper wouldn't be practical for a dishwasher. So are there steel
braided supply lines that have reinforced hoses in them?

No

No? I just bought some to install a sink faucet. They also have "flood safe" ones, where if there is an attempt at huge volume, eg a total burst, they shut off. I've heard of some people having problems with them here I think. Also, copper can be used with a dishwasher, that's what I have. Connection is made at bottom front, after its in.

Yeah, I installed flood-safe hoses on my washer several years ago and
soon after, it quit filling properly. I didn't connect the two events
and since the washer was real old, decided to replace rather than yet
another repair.

In casual conversation, the washer sales guy asked why were shopping for
a new one and I mentioned it stopped filling. He asked if I'd recently
installed flood-safe hoses. When I said yes, he asked if I still had the
old hoses around and I said I did. He said to try sticking them back on
and see if the problem went away.

It did- and I went back to the same store to buy new regular hoses from
the guy, thank him, and gave him a bottle of good bourbon.

Good for you, and good for him. I'm sure a lot of guys would have just
ignored your problem annd sold you a new washer.

This is why it pays to talk. If he hadn't asked you but you'd
volunteered the problem, there would have been a chance he would have
told you about this then.

I'm glad to know about those hoses, although it still might be worth
getting them if this is the only problem. It's a fail-safe problem, not
fail-unsafe.

I had a plain rubber hose split once, and I'm glad I heard through the
pipes on the second floor the water running in the basement, around
7:30AM when I was going to work. If I'd been gone all day, it would
have been a lot worse. If I'd been gone all week, would have been even
worse. I got steel-clad hoses then. After 25 years, one is dribbling
a little bit at the end if twisted the wrong way. I have a new set of
hoses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 14:51:07 -0400, micky
wrote:

On 8/27/2017 11:49 AM, wrote:
On Friday, 30 August 2013 02:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break and flood
my house than regular lines made of just nylon reinforced rubber?
I ended up using soft copper tubing because I wasn't sure, but
copper wouldn't be practical for a dishwasher. So are there steel
braided supply lines that have reinforced hoses in them?

I had quick failure of both that I tried on a water heater - within a
year or 3.

I'd NEVER use flex hoses to install a water heater myself - - -

Glad to hear it. Compulsive guy that I am, I shopped all over to find
the original brand of water heater, so I wouldn't have those ridiculous
L or S shaped piping, and wouldn't need flex hoses either.

The original was AOSmith, but Sears had the same pipe positioning, twice
in a row. No one else did.

Who do you think made the Sears heater? Not SAears - that's for sure.
Most likely it was an AOS heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Sep 2017 14:54:09 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 11:49:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Friday, 30 August 2013 02:00:26 UTC+1, wrote:
All the TV home repair shows recommend connecting
plumbing fixtures and clothes washers through steel braided
supply lines, but I noticed the hose inside those lines is just
unreinforced clear vinyl.

Are there steel braided lines they really less likely to break and flood
my house than regular lines made of just nylon reinforced rubber?
I ended up using soft copper tubing because I wasn't sure, but
copper wouldn't be practical for a dishwasher. So are there steel
braided supply lines that have reinforced hoses in them?

Another thing you don't want is polyethylene hoses to the ice maker or
humidifier. Even though they are supplied with the fridge. (They
probaly have a warning in the manual, that what they supply is not
good.) They spring leaks for no apparent reason. Copper is what you
want. You need a bunch of (extra) slack to get the fridge in and out.
I don't know details.

Properly intalled polyflex or nyflex hose IS what you want on the
ice-maker. It will not work harden and crack. It will NOT spring a
leak "for no reason". The reason may not be apparent to the untrained
eye. It cannot be allowed to rub against anything (nor may copper) and
it needs the CORRECT fittings, properly installed. Leave the sleave
out of the compression fitting and it WILL eventually leak
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to krw, Brooklyn Born wrote:
I'm sorry, but a stainless braided hose certainly can suddenly burst like an
aneurysm. Mine did the other night at 1:45 a.m. and water came shooting out
like a geyser. Luckily we were awake and I closed the valve before the flood
reached the floor below us! There was no sign of rodents, so I don't think
anything chewed through the hose.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/bn

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to clare, MP-Long Island NY wrote:
Get rid of all stainless steel braided water supply lines. When, not if, they
burst you will have thousands of dollars of damage to your home.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ci

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Brooklyn Born, MP-Long Island NY wrote:
Happened to me too.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/cj

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:14:03 GMT, MP-Long Island NY
m wrote:

replying to clare, MP-Long Island NY wrote:
Get rid of all stainless steel braided water supply lines. When, not if, they
burst you will have thousands of dollars of damage to your home.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ci

Oh silly you, home moaner. Yes, hoses break. I had rubber flex hoses
for ten (10) years on a water heater. Replaced the heater and put new
rubber washers in the hoses. Just put two new SS supply lines on the
clothes washer.

My water pressure into the house PEX manifold system is regulated
lower than the street pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to clare, MP-Long Island NY wrote:
Get rid of all stainless steel braided water supply lines. When, not if, they
burst you will have thousands of dollars of damage to your home.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ci

Oh silly you, home moaner. Yes, hoses break. I had rubber flex hoses
for ten (10) years on a water heater. Replaced the heater and put new
rubber washers in the hoses. Just put two new SS supply lines on the
clothes washer.

My water pressure into the house PEX manifold system is regulated
lower than the street pressure.

I have flex hoses on the washer and kitchen sink. What's the alternative?
I guess it's just the old solid supply lines, which are fine, if you have the
room to work them. But the kitchen faucets are now coming with their
own flex lines that are part of the faucet. So, even if you put solid
between that and the stop valve, you still have flex line that can
leak. And it's harder to deal with the solid lines when installing.