Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace a starter cord.

I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change
a broken starter cord?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rd-761210-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norb Solarz wrote:
I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I
change
a broken starter cord?

It's not hard to so (once you remove the part that contains the pull cord),
but it would be pretty toughto explain in words. Did you look for
general instructions anywhere else, like YouTube? I assume the critical
part of the process is essentially the same for everypull-start engine.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Norb Solarz wrote:
I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I
change
a broken starter cord?

It's not hard to so (once you remove the part that contains the pull
cord),
but it would be pretty toughto explain in words. Did you look for
general instructions anywhere else, like YouTube? I assume the
critical part of the process is essentially the same for
everypull-start engine.

Bill

Here yougo (like below). I use a piece of wire to tie the spool to keep
it from unreeling. So 1. "wind the spool", 2. tieit down, 3. thread your
cord, 4. release tension on the spooland let it take up the rope. 5.
Re-do if the length or cord-tension is not appropriate. Allow yourself
30 minutes the first time, and maybe10 minutes the next time. Good luck!

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02OobT7fII
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norb Solarz View Post
I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change a broken starter cord?
My understanding is that the recoil starter is held on to the motor housing with three screws. You simply remove those three screws and take the recoil starter down to any small engine repair shop and they will replace the cord on it for you there while you wait. Then you simply reinstall the recoil starter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:44:01 +0000, Norb Solarz
wrote:

I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change
a broken starter cord?

Did the rope break or is the recoil spring broke?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Norb Solarz" wrote in
message roups.com...
I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change
a broken starter cord?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...rd-761210-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Had the same problem. It looks more difficult than it actually is.
MLD

Senior Member

Quote:
I have a Ariens Sno-Thro with a Tecumseh engine HSSK50. How do I change a broken starter cord?
I find that there's a certain wisdom in knowing when NOT to do it yourself.

If, in all liklihood, you'll have completely forgotten how to do something by the time you'll next need to do it, it doesn't make a lot of sense learning how to do it yourself. Cuz then you'll be going through TWICE the frustration and aggrivation which all new DIY projects are so full of.

In those instances, I'm a great advocate of taking the recoil starter housing down to the small engine repair shop, buying all the new parts need there and having the nice man behind the counter put everything back together for you free of charge.

Hard core DIY'ers call that "cheating". I call it an "aggrivation minimization decision".

Last edited by nestork : August 30th 13 at 05:02 AM