Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keep that popcorn ceiling & make it look lovely

I had years of flat painted popcorn ceilings that got dirty and were
impossible to clean or even dust without it dropping all over the floors.
When I bought a home built in the 60's - I had new popcorn installed in
the large kitchen when the cabinets were removed. Then ALL the ceilings
in the house were double coated with excellent white semi-gloss latex
---wash it to your hearts content if you so choose... sweep it, vacuum it
and it never comes down on you or the furniture. It also takes a new coat
of paint very quickly.

The last few years I've chosen to paint the ceiling the same color as the
walls (except the red one). Change is good! Experiment - it's just paint
!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ly-759703-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 16, 2013 9:44:02 PM UTC-4, J E Lawless wrote:
I had years of flat painted popcorn ceilings that got dirty and were

impossible to clean or even dust without it dropping all over the floors.

When I bought a home built in the 60's - I had new popcorn installed in

the large kitchen when the cabinets were removed. Then ALL the ceilings

in the house were double coated with excellent white semi-gloss latex

---wash it to your hearts content if you so choose..

How exactly do you wash a popcorn ceiling?

.. sweep it, vacuum it

and it never comes down on you or the furniture. It also takes a new coat

of paint very quickly.

The last few years I've chosen to paint the ceiling the same color as the

walls (except the red one). Change is good! Experiment - it's just paint

!

--

posted from

http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ly-759703-.htm

using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface

to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Cart, horse. How do you paint it?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dadiOH , JE (Elaine) Lawless wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

Cart, horse. How do you paint it?

No matter if the popcorn is old or new - it can be painted and most people
use cheap flat white -- WRONG. Paint it with good quality (Washable)
semi-gloss acrylic, preferably 2 coats. Some popcorn will fall if it's new
- just paint with a roller. New construction, it would be easier to spray
paint - your choice. Paint it like you would a wall!

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ly-759703-.htm
using HomeOwnersHub's Web, RSS and Social Media Interface
to home and garden related groups

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

Cart, horse. How do you paint it?

No matter if the popcorn is old or new - it can be painted and most people
use cheap flat white -- WRONG. Paint it with good quality (Washable)
semi-gloss acrylic, preferably 2 coats. Some popcorn will fall if it's new
- just paint with a roller. New construction, it would be easier to spray
paint - your choice. Paint it like you would a wall!

Never semi-gloss on my ceilings (nor on my walls). I use semi-gloss
on trim; flat for walls and ceilings.

We had popcorn in the living room when we moved in. Luckily, it was
applied over several coats of old paint, and the popcorn itself had never
been painted (although some genius added glitter). A little action with a
garden sprayer of water and a plastic putty knife, followed by washing, and
finally flat white ceiling paint (Sherwin-Williams Superpaint, IIRC), and
my cove-ceiling living room looks just as it should.

Cindy Hamilton

Popcorn ceiling in2dadark Home Repair 9 December 30th 08 05:46 PM
popcorn ceiling repair chamaman Home Ownership 2 June 3rd 07 01:35 AM
popcorn asbestos ceiling bubblegummom Home Repair 9 September 30th 06 04:15 PM
Removal of popcorn ceiling miamicuse Home Repair 16 July 19th 05 11:18 AM
Popcorn ceiling barry martin Home Repair 4 July 19th 03 12:42 AM