Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 ton Floor Jack

Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 20:18:25 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

If you have a garage, this probably doesnt' apply to you, but i"m sort
of sorry I didn't buy -- well, they didnt' sell them then -- one
that's about half as long as mine. It has a handle built in, painted
red iirc It would be easy to carry compared to mine which is quite
heavy.

Or you could get an aluminum one, also lighter but not smaller I
think.

Or you could read t his.
http://www.hyjacks.com/wichjac.htm

BTW, I use mine when I change garbage disposals and when I needed to
hold up my deck while I put in new leg 4x4s. It's a great tool for
things like that, having nothing to do with a car. For the car, only
to hold up he engine when I replaced motor mounts, which turned out to
be a failure, because one wasn't really a replacement and the other I
couldnt' loosen the old one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Once I used jack to pull up the old fence post, I have decent compressor
in the garage as well and do some works on family vehicles mostly big or
small AWD type SUVs. One I was looking at was almost 100 pounds in
weight. Looks like Al. ones cost bit more but much lighter. On the look
out for one on sale.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For quality, try Napa or some other auto parts place. For occasional
use, Harbor Freight has sales often enough.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 7/30/2013 12:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Once I used jack to pull up the old fence post, I have decent compressor
in the garage as well and do some works on family vehicles mostly big or
small AWD type SUVs. One I was looking at was almost 100 pounds in
weight. Looks like Al. ones cost bit more but much lighter. On the look
out for one on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

My floor jack - I am looking decent 3 ton one to replace it.
Any suggestions?

Why are you asking for recommendations for a specific brand, make or
model of an item for which the availability will be regionally-variable?

Just go to princess auto or TSC and buy something that's on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2013 10:18 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

Hein-Werner, if money is no object.

If you have a low to the ground car, the last time I was at a NASCAR
event the low profile aluminum jacks that I saw the pit crews using
(that I could see branding on) were all Brunnhoelzl, don't know how long
they last between rebuilds though.

Otherwise, scrounge garage sales for anything that looks old and quality.

Unfortunately, anything else is a crap shoot these days...

(I wanna go hug my 20 year old Sears floor jack now, I doubt anything at
Sears will last as long these days.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OK so it looks like you are looking for one of the "racing" jacks

like I said in my previous post Brunnhoelzl is the original good one
that will probably last... Made in USA, company based in Mooresville,
NC (shocker!) so if it does crap out you can probably get them to send
you a seal kit for it... just don't look at the price tag, it'll make
your eyes water. Also, they do not list capacity on their web site, but
keep in mind that the heaviest thing it's likely designed to lift is one
end of a Sprint Cup car, so in a home garage, I would only lift one
corner of a large car/SUV at a time, don't try to lift a whole end of
anything really big.

If you're more of an occasional user, the knockoffs are all more or less
similarly crap, and you could buy a Harbor Freight one every other year
for 10 years and come out about even. (they're actually on sale right
now for $180)

You pays your money and you takes your chances... but this is one
instance where I might go against my natural aversion to cheap products
that I know won't last and say that for most people the HF jack is a
better buy.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2013 07:41 AM, Home Guy wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

My floor jack - I am looking decent 3 ton one to replace it.
Any suggestions?

Why are you asking for recommendations for a specific brand, make or
model of an item for which the availability will be regionally-variable?

Just go to princess auto or TSC and buy something that's on sale.

The question makes perfect sense to me, after a friend bought a
"Michelin" branded 3 ton jack and it failed within a year. I'm assuming
that Tony is trying to not have a similar experience.

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to get a quality jack is to
spend lots of money, or else find a good old one (Lincoln, Hein-Werner,
etc.) and rebuild it yourself, as 99% of the jacks available in the US
retail market are made in China.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Why are you asking for recommendations for a specific brand, make
or model of an item for which the availability will be regionally
variable?

Just go to princess auto or TSC and buy something that's on sale.

The question makes perfect sense to me, after a friend bought a
"Michelin" branded 3 ton jack and it failed within a year. I'm
assuming that Tony is trying to not have a similar experience.

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to get a quality jack is
to spend lots of money, or else find a good old one (Lincoln,

(insert arcane brands of jacks here)

Look.

I picked up a 3-ton garage floor jack from Princess Auto (roughly same
as harbor freight) about 7 to 10 years ago. It was probably on sale for
1/2 off, which means I paid $75 to $100 for it.

It weighs 77 lbs, steel wheels, built like a tank.

Simple rule: Durability of a floor jack is directly proportional to
it's weight.

as 99% of the jacks available in the US retail market are made
in China.

Yes, mine was made in China.

If you use enough steel, even the chinese can make a durable floor jack.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam's club also sells them, even an aluminum one.
They also sell a specialty jack to lift a tractor mower to take off the
blades for sharpening.

Stormin Mormon wrote:
For quality, try Napa or some other auto parts place. For occasional
use, Harbor Freight has sales often enough.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 7/30/2013 12:55 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
Once I used jack to pull up the old fence post, I have decent compressor
in the garage as well and do some works on family vehicles mostly big or
small AWD type SUVs. One I was looking at was almost 100 pounds in
weight. Looks like Al. ones cost bit more but much lighter. On the look
out for one on sale.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/30/2013 08:53 AM, Home Guy wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Why are you asking for recommendations for a specific brand, make
or model of an item for which the availability will be regionally
variable?

Just go to princess auto or TSC and buy something that's on sale.

The question makes perfect sense to me, after a friend bought a
"Michelin" branded 3 ton jack and it failed within a year. I'm
assuming that Tony is trying to not have a similar experience.

Unfortunately, it seems like the only way to get a quality jack is
to spend lots of money, or else find a good old one (Lincoln,

(insert arcane brands of jacks here)

Lincoln is arcane?

Holy ****.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Lincoln. Is arcane.

Clearly you're not qualified to comment in this thread if you haven't
heard of Lincoln.

Look.

I picked up a 3-ton garage floor jack from Princess Auto (roughly same
as harbor freight) about 7 to 10 years ago. It was probably on sale for
1/2 off, which means I paid $75 to $100 for it.

It weighs 77 lbs, steel wheels, built like a tank.

Simple rule: Durability of a floor jack is directly proportional to
it's weight.

as 99% of the jacks available in the US retail market are made
in China.

Yes, mine was made in China.

If you use enough steel, even the chinese can make a durable floor jack.

Not if the hydraulics are not chromed well/use inferior seals etc. The
jack itself may last but if the hydraulics crap out and you can't get a
seal kit for them, it's still a worthless POS.

IME NONE of the current production Chinese jacks are worth a ****,
although I've read that Norco are acceptable, I haven't tried one.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

On 07/29/2013 10:18 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

Hein-Werner, if money is no object.

If you have a low to the ground car, the last time I was at a NASCAR
event the low profile aluminum jacks that I saw the pit crews using
(that I could see branding on) were all Brunnhoelzl, don't know how long
they last between rebuilds though.

Otherwise, scrounge garage sales for anything that looks old and quality.

Unfortunately, anything else is a crap shoot these days...

(I wanna go hug my 20 year old Sears floor jack now, I doubt anything at
Sears will last as long these days.)

nate

Oddly enough, hydraulic bottle jacks (and items that utilize them) are
some of the more reliable Chinese products. I don't recall having an
issue with any of the many Chinese bottle jacks I have or similar items
like the Port-o-Power clones.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

I've used the Chinese floor jacks from Sam's Club & Harbor Freight for over
20 years and never had a problem. Just bought a return spring for the handle
after 17 years of use.
Harbor Freight currently has coupons out there for a 3 Ton steel floor jack
for $69.99, or an aluminum 1.5 ton floor jack for $59.99. Just don't trust
your life to ANY jack - use jack stands.

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

Here's a possibility:
http://www.sears.com/hein-werner-aut...967501?prdNo=6
Only $1880.

Or
http://www.sears.com/search=Companio...rod=40 022575

That light, small, cheap one I told you about isn't being pushed
anymore. I didn't find it online and I was in two autoparts stores
yesterday, one that had it as the center of a display, and I didn't
see it. Maybe it's off the market.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:19:57 -0500, "SRN" wrote:

I've used the Chinese floor jacks from Sam's Club & Harbor Freight for over
20 years and never had a problem. Just bought a return spring for the handle
after 17 years of use.
Harbor Freight currently has coupons out there for a 3 Ton steel floor jack
for $69.99, or an aluminum 1.5 ton floor jack for $59.99. Just don't trust
your life to ANY jack - use jack stands.

Don't trust jack stands that much either. I had a pair of 3000,
iirc, pound stands, and my 150 pound friend was sitting in the
driver's seat of a Reliant, I think, same size as a Lebaron compact,
when the jackstand just crumpled. Went down 5" or more.

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 29, 2013 10:18:25 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
Hi,

My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?

TIA,

I bought a 3 ton floor jack off of Craigslist about 3 years ago. $50 well spent.

BTW...what does "pretty well had it" mean? I'm curious to know what to look out for. My jack looks beat, but the lift pad is secure, the hydraulics don't leak and the wheels all work fine. Why do you want to replace yours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:54:45 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:19:57 -0500, "SRN" wrote:

I've used the Chinese floor jacks from Sam's Club & Harbor Freight for over
20 years and never had a problem. Just bought a return spring for the handle
after 17 years of use.
Harbor Freight currently has coupons out there for a 3 Ton steel floor jack
for $69.99, or an aluminum 1.5 ton floor jack for $59.99. Just don't trust
your life to ANY jack - use jack stands.

Don't trust jack stands that much either. I had a pair of 3000,
iirc, pound stands, and my 150 pound friend was sitting in the
driver's seat of a Reliant, I think, same size as a Lebaron compact,
when the jackstand just crumpled. Went down 5" or more.

A good forged steel jackstand won't crumple. and nor will one made
with real angle iron legs. The cheap chinese crap made by splitting a
piece of "tubing of unknown origin" WILL fail eventually.

Of course you do need to make sure they are not terminally rusted.

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

Here's a possibility:
http://www.sears.com/hein-werner-aut...967501?prdNo=6
Only $1880.

that's a transmission jack, you should be able to get a decent standard
H-W floor jack for a lot less - $3-500 depending on capacity.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,
My floor jack in the garage is pretty well had it for year of use. I am
looking decent 3 ton one to replace it. Any suggestions?
TIA,

Here's a possibility:
http://www.sears.com/hein-werner-aut...967501?prdNo=6
Only $1880.

that's a transmission jack,

Ah. I thought it was a floor jack with transmission attachments (that
could be removed for other uses.)

you should be able to get a decent standard
H-W floor jack for a lot less - $3-500 depending on capacity.

I want the one for $3.

nate