Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window shade problem - any simple remedy?

I have a pull-down shade (and it's a very tall window - I'd need a ladder to get to the top) that operates on a looped chain. Unfortunately, it seems some sticky substance from my nearby potted palm (maybe during blooming season) dripped on the chain and is now in the "wheel" at the top as well. At any rate, after a few rough periods, when I tried to move the shade (which is currently almost all the way down) the chain broke. I can't budge the shade. Is there anything I can do to clean it out so I can just get a new chain afterwards and set things up myself without calling someone in?

Thank you.

Lenona.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks - in the meantime, does anyone want to suggest a specific cleaning fluid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Simple Green cleans many things. I like the root beer barrel smell.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Thanks - in the meantime, does anyone want to suggest a specific cleaning fluid?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:21:27 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

I believe the chain can be changed so the break is at the bottom, and

the connector never hits the wheel on top?

Thanks for that - I'll check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:48:59 AM UTC-4, Oren wrote:

Please let us know.

Sorry to take so long - I had to be away and didn't fix it until now.

The stickiness problem seems to have gone away, mostly - maybe the summer heat helped to dry it up?

So when I got the connector and fixed the chain, it turned out that that point doesn't typically go to the top anyway, whether the shade is being raised or lowered.

Thanks to all.

Lenona.