Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Window shade problem - any simple remedy?

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 11:11:28 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 16:27:51 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I have a pull-down shade (and it's a very tall window - I'd need a
ladder to get to the top) that operates on a looped chain.
Unfortunately, it seems some sticky substance from my nearby potted palm
(maybe during blooming season) dripped on the chain and is now in the
"wheel" at the top as well. At any rate, after a few rough periods, when
I tried to move the shade (which is currently almost all the way down)
the chain broke. I can't budge the shade. Is there anything I can do to
clean it out so I can just get a new chain afterwards and set things up
myself without calling someone in?

Thank you.

Lenona.

I'd pull the shade off the window to work on it off the ladder. Clean
it up. The broken chain can be repaired with a simple ball chain
connector where it broke.

Pic:

http://ballchain.com/images/attachments/connector_diagram_150.jpg

YMMV

Depending on where it broke, the ball chain connector may not work.

The connector may not go around the gear correctly since it is longer and
stiffer than the ball links. Just something to look out for.

Good luck!

I believe the chain can be changed so the break is at the bottom, and
the connector never hits the wheel on top?