Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beware of "Deep Woods OFF" spray

I was sitting on my deck this am, under the umbrella, reading the newspaper when a bee started coming closer than I liked, ending up flying under the umbrella. My wife brought me our spray can of Deep Woods OFF and I gave a very quick spray in the area of the umbrella, which is over the plastic (lexan?)table that supports it. Bee flew away, paper enjoyed for the next hour or so.
Just now (5PM) went out to set the table for a nice outside supper, and noticed that half of the table was very sticky. Wiping with a wet(water) cloth did not make any difference. So, I resorted to my universal solvent, Naptha. Some medium level sprinking of Naptha, along with some more water and scouring powder and a medium level of rubbing got rid of the stickiness, without scratching the table surface.

The table had been fine when I was reading the paper, so I really was puzzled. Then it came to me, the side of the table that was sticky was the side of the table where there was NO newspaper when I sprayed for the bee.

So 1+1 leads to the conclusion that the OFF spray was what made the table sticky. Fair warning to other folks who use this product!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Unless you are paranoid about Bees or Wasps, let them be. They are
beneficial insects that pollinate flowers and vegetables.
They won't attack unless you bother them. I can let them land on me and
as long as I don't swat at them, they fly away with no harm to me.
I usually leave a saucer of soda some distance from where we are eating
and that can attract them and help keep them away.
Besides, Deep Woods Off is an insect repellent spray that you spray on
yourself. It is not a insecticide.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:55:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The unfriendly insects around our deck do sting, I have been stung twice in the past week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 6:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

I would be surprised if this caution is not on the label. I don't have
a can of Off but it is on a spray can of Cutter and says it can damage
some plastics.

Read the label and let us know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Something you may not know about insect repellants: they do not actually repel. They interfere with a bug's ability to find you. Caveat: this was the state of the art a few decades back when I had biology classes and a friend was getting his PhD in entomology. But DEET is pretty old.

With bees there's a better method than chemical sprays: soapy water. Mix some dish detergent and water, 1:15 ratio, put in a spray bottle. It drops them instantly, faster than Raid does, and you can use it around food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
On 7/21/2013 6:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

Is that Deep Woods Off listed as an area spray or to spray on your skin and
clothes ?

I have a can of Cutter also and it also says it can damage some plastics,
leather, watch crystals, and lacker surfaces.
It is just for skin and clothes. Says will not harm cotton, nylon, wool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Same here. Never get stung. Fly all around me, within inches. Never swat,
wave, run, etc. Only thing I do is if they get close to my head is put my
hand over my nose/mouth. "We" agree this is a non-investigative area :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

[...]

OMG! A sticky table!!!

If you were in the Hamptons yo would have been put on trial.