Posted to alt.home.repair
Rox Rox is offline

Default Using Pedestal from different make front loader

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum went
and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting for
delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to invest
in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-756388-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 23:44:02 +0000, Rox
wrote:

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum went
and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting for
delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to invest
in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

Beats me. You can check the dimensions on line though. Do you have a
Google machine?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rox wrote in
oups.com:

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum
went and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting
for delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to
invest in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

front loader washer

Bad idea

7 years ago. Front gasket and drum went

Told ya so

Samsung

Worse idea

Maytag top loader. POS. Lasted 5 years and that's including several
major repairs under warranty.

Bought a Speed Queen top load washer. Commercial washer without the coin
slot. No electronics. No plastic tub, no plastic pump housing, etc.
Manual dials with typical old settings. No setting for dispensing latte
while it jerks your shirt sleeves off. Will report back in 20 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 5:58 AM, Red Green wrote:
Rox wrote in
oups.com:

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum
went and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting
for delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to
invest in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

front loader washer

snip

My 10 y/o WP Duet seems to be working like new, but my old WP top loader
lasted for many years too. It's probably still in use.

OP: Get a new pedestal or set the washer on the floor. They need a
sturdy base due to the extreme spin cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 07:47:39 -0500, gonjah wrote
in Re Using Pedestal from different
make front loader:

On 7/21/2013 5:58 AM, Red Green wrote:
Rox wrote in
oups.com:

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum
went and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting
for delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to
invest in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

Wow! They sure don't last long. My Maytag heavy duty (we had kids,
grown and gone now) is 25 years old and never had a problem. It's
still going strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 8:31 AM, CRNG wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 07:47:39 -0500, gonjah wrote
in Re Using Pedestal from different
make front loader:

On 7/21/2013 5:58 AM, Red Green wrote:
Rox wrote in
oups.com:

Bought a GE front loader washer 7 years ago. Front gasket and drum
went and instead of fixing bought a new Samsung front loader (waiting
for delivery). I already have the GE pedestal and really dont want to
invest in another one unless I have to.....do you think it will fit?

Wow! They sure don't last long. My Maytag heavy duty (we had kids,
grown and gone now) is 25 years old and never had a problem. It's
still going strong.

My initial impression of non-commercial front-loading washers is they
are not designed to last several decades. They are made with HE in mind
and in order to provide that, at a reasonable price, certain design
compromises had to be made.

WTBS: It would be better if they were made with easy access to the parts
that will wear out and, from my understanding, they are not real easy to
do repairs on.

FWIW: Mine has worked trouble free for ten years now, but it is a WP.

I don't think I would stray from WP for a replacement, when needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 9:59 AM, gonjah wrote:
On 7/21/2013 8:31 AM, CRNG wrote:
[...]

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but my front loader was out of here
after only about 2 1/2 years. It didn't wash well. It required an
extra complete cycle, with no soap, to get all the soap out of the
cloths and still, sometimes there was detergent left in the cloths.
They smell musty. I now have a top loader and am very happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2013 8:31 AM, CRNG wrote:
[...]

I loved my old WP top loader. Very easy to fix. It used a lot of water too.

My sister-in-law had a lg front loader for a very short period of time.
Her problem was mold.

We did have a mold issue, but have since solved it. Minor PITA. The WP
Duet cleans and rinses well. I can't vouch for all brands.