Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are cords evil?

The word "cordless" seems to be so overused these days, it makes me
wonder if cords are evil.......

Yea, my cordless drill/driver can be handy at times, but my corded drill
works just as well, has more power, and never runs out of battery power.
As long as there is electricity, I always grab the corded one.

Then came the cordless phone. Before I got my cellphone, I thought it
was handy, so I could walk away from the landline phone and do stuff
while I talked. (Not that I care to spend a lot of time on the phone
anyhow). But those phones could be a pain in the ass to use too. Poor
signals, dying batteries, etc......

Now we have cordless keyboards and computer mice. Why???? I never
found the corded types to be any problem.

And all the rock stars seem to have cordless guitars and microphones
now, which I guess makes it easier for them to jump around on stage, and
even run into the crowd on occasion, but they do trade sound quality at
times and of course there are the battery issues once again.....

But getting back to tools. I saw a huy using a cordless circular saw.
I think he cut three 2x4's before the battery needed to be recharged,
and the saw was slow, lacked power, and looked clumbsy too. NO THANKS.
I'll stick with my corded saw, and if there's no electricity, a
generator comes in handy.

It seems there is a cordless tool for every type of power tool these
days, and one could go broke trying to constantly charge and replace
those costly batteries. In fact someone gave me a cordless weed whacker
and said he could not get it to run, and said that when it did work, he
would have to recharge it 3 or 4 times to go all the way around his
house. Well, I tested it, the battery was trash, and a replacement cost
more than the original tool. Once again, NO THANKS. Give me a plug in
model, or in the case of the weed whacker, a gasoline model. However, I
do like my corded plug in electric chainsaw for small tree trimming
jobs, because it always starts without having to pull a rope, dont
require mixing gas and oil, or having to go to town to buy gas just to
do a little tree pruning.

But there are more and more cordless devices made and sold, and I have
to ask myself who buys all this stuff. I get the feeling it's the
advertisers that *think* we need this stuff, more than anything else.
Of course they must be making a fortune on battery replacements, so they
want us to buy that stuff, even if it's usually inferior to the corded
model.

Then again, I think I've now seen the ultimate in rediculous cordless
devices. They now sell a florescent battery operated camping lantern,
which resembles those old "Coleman" lanterns that used to run on white
gas or propane. While a florescent bulb model makes some sense, since
it's really just a hanging flashlight, the kicker comes with the remote
control that comes with it. I dont know about you, but when I'm camping
inside a 10 foot tent out in the wilderness, why do I need a remote
control to turn off this lantern before hitting my sleeping bag? Not to
mention another set of batteries are needed for the remote, and since
they have not yet developed a "battery tree", if the battery in the
remote dies at 2am, 30 miles from a store, where do I get one?

I think my plain old LED flashlight works just fine when camping, and at
home, I'd rather install a few more outlets and have a few more
extension cords for my power tools than play the costly battery
replacement game.

I've never yet had a cord attack me, and am confident I never will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 2:38:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Now there is a remote control finder too. If you ever lose the remote control for your lantern in your 10 foot tent you can find it instantly with:

http://www.keyringer.com/

And yes, it does come with batteries.

Do new electric dryers come with cords? zzyzzx Home Repair 18 February 12th 17 05:21 PM
extension cords rb Home Repair 20 September 13th 09 02:26 PM
Connecting Extension Cords [email protected] Home Repair 28 May 1st 07 02:16 PM
about EXTENSION CORDS (safety) [email protected] Home Repair 19 August 4th 06 01:43 PM
Replacing sash cords Evon Barvinchack Home Repair 3 July 22nd 05 09:09 PM