Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is used under rebar in concrete?

I recently saw a concrete parking lot being made. This was after hours,
so no one was around to ask. They had the forms made, and had rebar
placed about every 2 feet in both directions. Under the rebar they had
small plastic "stands" to keep it off the ground.

What are these things called, and where does someone buy them? Also,
what did they use before they made these plastic things? I plan to pour
a pad of concrete in front of my garage soon, and think rebar should be
used, but I was just going to use rocks under the rebar. Actually the
thought was to buy some of those cheap patio blocks, which are about 1.5
inches thick and bust them up into pieces for this. That way the rebar
would all be about the same space off the ground, and those patio blocks
are pretty low cost. Possibly cheaper than those plastic things.

On the other hand, I was wondering if using that metal mesh material
which is sold in rolls would work just as well as rebar and which would
be cheaper to buy.

Any concrete experts out here?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 19, 2013 4:02:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Google is your friend http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/bu...FWNgMgod0RYAkg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 19, 2013 6:09:24 AM UTC-4, Bob_Villa wrote:
[...]

Goggle is government **** that needs to be destroyed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 19, 2013 5:02:05 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Only need rebar for high stress areas like walls and footers and heavy equipment. rolls the best with rocks. The government never allowed me to learn any more.

Violently overthrow the US government.

Beat a christian capitalist to death with baseball bats.
Senior Member

What you should do is excavate and then:

1. put down landscaping fabric. This is a tight weave material that won't rot due to exposure to moisture in the ground. It's purpose is to prevent the limestone from dissipating into the soil to prevent soft spots in either the asphalt or concrete you put over top.

2. Spread crushed limestone over the area you intend to pave or place concrete over. Typically, the limestone will be anywhere from 3 to 4 inches thick and will be compacted down to 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick with a plate compactor you can rent.

3. Put your rebar in. Ideally, it's best to put in TWO layers of rebar; one layer near the top of the slab and one near the bottom. That way, for the slab to bend far enough to break, the rebar has to stretch. Since steel is very strong in tension, it's the rebar's resistance to stretching that makes the slab more rigid and resistant to bending. Where you only see one layer of rebar supported in the middle of the slab, it's not there to strengthen the concrete, it's only there to prevent the pieces of concrete slab from spreading apart when (not if) the slab breaks. You can buy supports for rebar at any place that sells rebar. Look under "Steel" or "Concrete" in your yellow pages phone directory.

4. HIRE someone to finish your concrete for you. You can save 90 percent of the cost of the job by doing all the bullwork yourself, but placing concrete and finishing it is a skill that takes a lot of experience to master. And, with concrete, any screw ups are permanent screw ups. Do all the bull work yourself, and then hire a concrete contractor to actually place the concrete for you, and you'll end up paying less for a professional looking job.

Senior Member

Can you make your slab thicker, say 6 inches?

And, can you squeeze that cover down to 1 1/2 inches so that you have your two layers 1 1/2 inches from the top and bottom of the slab instead?

If it's only going to be a patio slab, and you're not going to be putting anything heavy on it, then stick with the 4 inch thickness and put the rebar in the middle just to hold the slab together if it breaks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 19:20:04 +0200, nestork
wrote:

[...]

While this does sound like the top of the line method, it seems rather
excessive, not to mention costly, for a home driveway. This sounds more
suited to a highway. My plan is to just pour the concrete over some
gravel, and add either the rebar or that rolled steel material that
looks like fencing. My only modification is on one side of the
driveway, the soil tapers down a little bit, so I intend to make it a
little thicker on that side to prevent washing out under it. So, while
the slab is 4 inches, that edge will be about 6 inches. I plan to
finish it myself. I've done it several times in the past and it's
always been smooth enough for my needs. The surface will just be a
broomed finish. A little roughness is desired to prevent slipping when
it's wet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to mancave, Derek Lindstrom wrote:
Yeah they're called Dobies! We use them for keeping the steel or rebar off the
ground and in a central location so the it's ready for the concrete and wont
need any extra work lifting or placing the rebar in the center of the slab

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...te-756157-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before the spacers people used to use brick take a break it in two that provides 2 or 3 spacers

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...te-756157-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 00:15:02 +0000, Hunter
wrote:

Before the spacers people used to use brick take a break it in two that provides 2 or 3 spacers

Back in the olden days concrete guys knew enough to just "pull up the
wire" (rebar or whatever) but these days in the dumbed down building
trades they require "chairs". You can use a piece of brick, paver
"twinkies" are common or there are a number of commercial products.
Most big jobs use commercial chairs because they don't want to screw
around with finding appropriate chunks of concrete. The chairs are too
cheap and always pass inspection.

concrete and rebar Uno Home Repair 16 July 29th 10 11:23 PM
Rebar U Bill Stock Home Repair 5 October 16th 07 04:08 AM
Bending Rebar Doug Kanter Home Repair 24 March 12th 05 01:21 PM
Rebar Tim Williams Metalworking 18 March 19th 04 06:52 AM
Rebar welding SteveB Metalworking 6 November 3rd 03 04:58 AM