SteveB

Default Rebar welding

To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld
with 6010?

Steve

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:27:29 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stick with lowhigh 7018, sounds right to me.cl.
To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld
with 6010?

Steve

Ben Shank

I would use a 6013 or 7014 for a better looking weld. I would use sticks
because to me it's easier to see what I'm doing on small objects.......

Old Nick

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:27:29 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

yes

To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld
with 6010?

Steve

************************************************** ****************************************
Until I do the other one,this one means nothing
Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/
Thomas Kendrick

Agreed on the 6013 or 7014. Undercut is reduced and the result is more
appealing. The slag frequently separates as the metal cools.

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:50:40 GMT, "Ben Shank"
wrote:

I would use a 6013 or 7014 for a better looking weld. I would use sticks
because to me it's easier to see what I'm doing on small objects.......

Bob Powell

"SteveB" wrote in message news:AQ_ob.106775$Ms2.67010@fed1read03...
To do some decorative work with rebar, should I use a wirefeed or stick weld
with 6010?

Steve

As the others have said and for all I know, anything will get the job
done.

I made what is best described as a 10' square grate from a couple
hundred feet of 1/2" and 5/8" rebar, welding a complete saddle-shaped
ring around each point of contact i.e. where each horiz & vert bar
crossed. Each joint had four separate short welds to complete the
ring. Way overkill but I figured completely filling in a ring at
each contact created a smooth surface, no cracks to hold moisture, so
maybe it would resist corrosion better. Used MIG with .035 flux core
wire and 75/25 gas. Went fast, clean and painless - 640 individual
welds total that took only an hour once it was tacked together. The
..035 wire was a good match for the weld shape, came out looking OK, no
problem with undercut.

Bob
SteveB

"Bob Powell" wrote in message
om...
"SteveB" wrote in message

[...]

From what I have learned in my 29 years of welding, I firmly believe that my
..030 E70S-6 wire and 75/25 gas will hold it fine. There will be no load on
it other than its own weight, plus possibly some canvas inserts. I did want
to plant some trumpet creeper vines on it, and have it substantial enough to
support them. I didn't want to use regular square tubing because it would
rust out.

I was asking because I believe the metallurgical content of rebar is
different. I believe the carbon levels are higher. Anyone who knows about
such things correct me.

I was just curious if anyone thought the welds would be brittle enough to
snap over a time. Like I say, I doubt it.

Steve

Cheap Welding Wire Wanted (uk)... Please Recomend mark Metalworking 0 October 27th 03 01:40 AM
Tig welding Kevin Beitz Metalworking 8 September 3rd 03 06:45 AM
Anybody in Seattle looking for Welding gear? Ernie Leimkuhler Metalworking 7 August 4th 03 05:14 AM
gas or not? Joe Metalworking 11 July 29th 03 09:29 AM
Electronic/Automatic welding masks - a good thing? Frank UK diy 1 July 21st 03 12:39 PM