Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

On Tuesday, September 1, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J Frink wrote:
I am going to have a new roof put on my 15 year old house.

Currently there are several vents on the roof which let heat out. I
also have an attic fan which draws heat out of the attic.

I wanted to know are there any advantages to having a Ridge vent vs
the individual vents placed along the roof?

Also, can you put a ridge vent over an area that has a vaulted
ceiling?


iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact

Thanks for any and all responses
J E Frink
Atlanta, GA


iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,586
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J Frink wrote:
I am going to have a new roof put on my 15 year old house.

Currently there are several vents on the roof which let heat out. I
also have an attic fan which draws heat out of the attic.

I wanted to know are there any advantages to having a Ridge vent vs
the individual vents placed along the roof?

Also, can you put a ridge vent over an area that has a vaulted
ceiling?


iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact

Thanks for any and all responses
J E Frink
Atlanta, GA


iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact

Hi,
What if ridge vent or whatever vent is correctly sized? From the under
eve soffit to vent exhaust opening there should good air flow by
convection. When house is built it should be taken care of. I've seen
many new houses w/o correct static venting. Some times sizing was OK but
poor installation like blocking air channels with insulation batts,
things like that. Vent fan is in a way remedy effort after the fact.
I am firm believer of Doing things first time right. For the long run it
saves time and money.
  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,399
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:42:26 PM UTC-4, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 1, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J Frink wrote:


I am going to have a new roof put on my 15 year old house.




Currently there are several vents on the roof which let heat out. I


also have an attic fan which draws heat out of the attic.




I wanted to know are there any advantages to having a Ridge vent vs


the individual vents placed along the roof?




Also, can you put a ridge vent over an area that has a vaulted


ceiling?




iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact




Thanks for any and all responses


J E Frink


Atlanta, GA




iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact




Hi,

What if ridge vent or whatever vent is correctly sized?


Whatever the method, they need to be correctly sized.






From the under

eve soffit to vent exhaust opening there should good air flow by

convection. When house is built it should be taken care of. I've seen

many new houses w/o correct static venting. Some times sizing was OK but

poor installation like blocking air channels with insulation batts,

things like that.


It's not unusual to see that, ie the insulation guys shove insulation
all the way into the eaves, blocking the soffits. Should have plastic
baffles there to keep it open.




Vent fan is in a way remedy effort after the fact.

I am firm believer of Doing things first time right. For the long run it

saves time and money.



A vent fan still needs fresh air to come from somewhere, just like a ridge
or any other vent. In fact, one of the main arguments against power fans
is that they can pull cold air from inside the house up into the attic.
The air will go through any openings available, like recessed light fixtures,
around bathroom fan openings, etc.

Anyone interested can do some googling and find that most experts today
recommend ridge vents over power vents.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,557
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

billy101289 @ gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, September 1, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J Frink wrote:


(...)

Wow, it just keeps on getting more retarded for you, eh Billy?

Now we're posting a reply to a 15-year-old post?
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,557
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

" wrote:

A vent fan still needs fresh air to come from somewhere, just like
a ridge or any other vent. In fact, one of the main arguments
against power fans is that they can pull cold air from inside
the house up into the attic.


Better that than having ridge vents (or other passive vents) that have
NO ability to ventilate an attic.

In other words, if the attic is so air-tight that a power fan can create
a negative pressure such that the only air being moved out of the attic
is being replaced by air coming from inside the house, then I'd rather
see that situation rather than the attic cook itself.

But the fault in that situation is a lack of intake / soffit vents, not
the fault of the power vent fan.

Anyone interested can do some googling and find that most experts
today recommend ridge vents over power vents.


Because roofers are not electricians. They don't want to mess around
with having to provide power for vent fans.

On the hottest days of the summer there will be very little wind, and
your ridge vent will do **** for you. That's why the power vent pays
off.


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,399
Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

On Monday, July 15, 2013 9:41:58 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
" wrote:



A vent fan still needs fresh air to come from somewhere, just like


a ridge or any other vent. In fact, one of the main arguments


against power fans is that they can pull cold air from inside


the house up into the attic.




Better that than having ridge vents (or other passive vents) that have

NO ability to ventilate an attic.


The vast majority of roofing and building experts say you're wrong.
Also, if ridge vents were not good at venting attics, all the shingle
manufacturers would not allow them to be used per their warranties.
Yet, all shingle manufacturers say ridge are either preferred or
OK. In fact, many of the shingle manufacturers sell ridge vent products.
Who know more, the manufacturers standing behind their hundreds of
years of experience and warranties, or you?







In other words, if the attic is so air-tight that a power fan can create

a negative pressure such that the only air being moved out of the attic

is being replaced by air coming from inside the house, then I'd rather

see that situation rather than the attic cook itself.



It's not that the attic has no venting. It may not have venting adequate
to support the big honking fan. Yet, the venting could be perfectly
adequate. Also, a power fan is a point ventilation exhaust. A ridge
vent can exit air uniformly across the whole attic.




But the fault in that situation is a lack of intake / soffit vents, not

the fault of the power vent fan.



Anyone interested can do some googling and find that most experts


today recommend ridge vents over power vents.




Because roofers are not electricians. They don't want to mess around

with having to provide power for vent fans.


I said experts, not roofers. There are research labs, universities,
construction experts that have actual data showing ridge vents work.






On the hottest days of the summer there will be very little wind, and

your ridge vent will do **** for you. That's why the power vent pays

off.


You of all people should know that hot air rises.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ridge vents and attic fan DesignGuy Home Repair 11 August 8th 07 08:35 PM
Ridge Vents JA Home Repair 5 June 26th 06 05:39 PM
No soffit vents, no roof or ridge vents. How do I finish my attic?? Yank_fan_2965 Home Repair 9 December 31st 05 05:37 AM
Ridge Vents Peter Wells Home Repair 1 September 23rd 05 02:08 AM
ridge vents Choreboy Home Repair 24 August 22nd 05 07:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"