View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Attic Vents vs Ridge Vents

wrote:
On Tuesday, September 1, 1998 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, J Frink wrote:
I am going to have a new roof put on my 15 year old house.

Currently there are several vents on the roof which let heat out. I
also have an attic fan which draws heat out of the attic.

I wanted to know are there any advantages to having a Ridge vent vs
the individual vents placed along the roof?

Also, can you put a ridge vent over an area that has a vaulted
ceiling?

iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact

Thanks for any and all responses
J E Frink
Atlanta, GA

iv owned my own roofing company for 10 years now and as a roofer i would push the ridge vent all day only because i could make more money but as a home owner and my own house i have installed 2 attic fans because they are truly pulling the hot air out over having the hot air gradually come out on it own also attic fans lower your cost of your electric bill because you a/c don't have to run as long and hard to keep you whole house cool and it also keep you shingle from burning up and keep a long life expedience for those reason ill have attic fans over ridge vent in my house but all roofing company including my self will push ridge vent and that's the cold fact

Hi,
What if ridge vent or whatever vent is correctly sized? From the under
eve soffit to vent exhaust opening there should good air flow by
convection. When house is built it should be taken care of. I've seen
many new houses w/o correct static venting. Some times sizing was OK but
poor installation like blocking air channels with insulation batts,
things like that. Vent fan is in a way remedy effort after the fact.
I am firm believer of Doing things first time right. For the long run it
saves time and money.