Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Be careful when the power goes off

A local business with apartments upstairs caught on fire recently after
a storm knocked out the electricity. The storm caused flooding in the
area, and because of the flooding, the building and other nearby
buildings were evacuated. The flooding did serious damage to the
downstairs business. If that was not enough. The person in one of the
apartments had been cooking something on an electric range, and when she
was told to evacuate, the power was off, and she was told to leave
immediately. Six hours later the power came back on, and no one was
around to notice the food on the electric range, which started on fire
and burned out the entire apartment and part of the next door apartment.

Who would have thought about something like that happening. But I got
to thinking that in a multiple unit building like that, they really
should flip off the main breaker before the last person leaves, and then
turn on each apartment and/or business AFTER inspecting the unit for
anything that was left turned on.

I just thought I'd mention this, because it's something to think about
when there is a disaster occuring. I'd suggest shutting off the gas
main too, because if it goes out and later comes on, who knows what
might be left turned on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, that really gets me to thinking.

One woman I knew lost power, in the bitter cold winter. Lived in apartment, the neighbor moved out, and had the power turned off. The power co pulled the wrong meter, and she came home to find the apartment cold. Holliday weekend. She called the power co, who couldn't get someone out for a couple days. In those days, the baseboard radiator heat froze. When it thawed, there was water every where on the floor, and did considerable damage. She called the landlord, who suggested to run the oven for heat. She refused, monoxide. Someone suggested run the heat off a generator, but she didn't think a generator would run a boiler. (wrong.) I heard about this later, and my idea was to run a wire off the neighbor's circuit panel and temporary wire to her boiler. Easy enough to do, if probably not totally legal. So, she refused the three helps, and had a disaster. Yes, this is a true story. Yes, she's blonde with attitude.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message news A local business with apartments upstairs caught on fire recently after
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
wrote in message
[...]

Wow! That woman is almost a dumb as a top poster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Year ago when I was in the Army and old Sargent said a person not
smart enough to keep them self from freezing ought to freeze, I think
about that a lot.

(OT)somewhat-Be careful out there. basilisk Woodworking 11 January 29th 09 10:15 PM
Be Careful Out There... Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 12 February 13th 08 03:13 PM
Be careful out there! Glen Woodworking 36 September 6th 06 10:18 PM
Be Careful Out There RonB Woodturning 15 April 21st 05 05:36 AM
Be Careful Out There RonB Woodworking 14 April 21st 05 05:36 AM