Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Many uses for Vise-grips

Many uses for Vise-grips

Man shot with arrow in head, feels great after it's removed.

That's the headline from Leno's Headlines last night.

Shot by an ex-roommate with a cross-bow, the arrow went in below his
skull and to the left of his spine, and came out, or got close, to his
forehead above his left eye. But seems to have damaged nothing
important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized
Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

(They had also cut off the feathers and the shaft about 2 inches from
skin, so they could lay him on the operating table.)

Here is another version of the same story by the same reporter,
Brigitte Greenberg of the AP.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1630,1500200

You can use the cursor and mouse to read the whole story. It doesn't
mention the Vise-grips, and the story is in a substantially different
order. . Maybe it was edited by The Hour in Norwalk, Connecticut,
but I didn't think they would make so many changes. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized
Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

I prefer the much less exotic --and painful!-- example of when I used
a really small pair (2"-3") as a handle on my car's old fashioned wind
wing latch. A larger pair served as the inside car door handle.

I always wondered about wind wings. Were they primarily to reduce
turbulance for the driver and/or shotgun passenger or were they really
to extract tobacco smoke from the car, which they did brilliantly.
Notice how wind wings have completely disappeared with the decline in
cigarette smoking. Makes one wonder.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized
Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

I prefer the much less exotic --and painful!-- example of when I used
a really small pair (2"-3") as a handle on my car's old fashioned wind
wing latch. A larger pair served as the inside car door handle.

I kept a pair of vice grips under the driver's seat of my '66 lay-down
Rambler.

The car had a busted motor mount and if I stomped the gas while making a
left hand turn, the engine would lift up causing the fan to hit the cowling
and bend the blades over. It made a heck of racket when it did that. I'd
pull over, grab the vise grips and straighten out the fan blades.

Man, did I love that car!

I always wondered about wind wings. Were they primarily to reduce
turbulance for the driver and/or shotgun passenger or were they really
to extract tobacco smoke from the car, which they did brilliantly.
Notice how wind wings have completely disappeared with the decline in
cigarette smoking. Makes one wonder.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized
Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

I prefer the much less exotic --and painful!-- example of when I used
a really small pair (2"-3") as a handle on my car's old fashioned
wind wing latch. A larger pair served as the inside car door handle.

I kept a pair of vice grips under the driver's seat of my '66 lay-down
Rambler.

You had one too?! Not sure of the year of the one I had. Wasn't
important. That full reclining split front seat sure was handy ;-)

The car had a busted motor mount and if I stomped the gas while making
a left hand turn, the engine would lift up causing the fan to hit the
cowling and bend the blades over. It made a heck of racket when it did
that. I'd pull over, grab the vise grips and straighten out the fan
blades.

Man, did I love that car!

I always wondered about wind wings. Were they primarily to reduce
turbulance for the driver and/or shotgun passenger or were they
really to extract tobacco smoke from the car, which they did
brilliantly. Notice how wind wings have completely disappeared with
the decline in cigarette smoking. Makes one wonder.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/9/2013 6:15 PM, Red Green wrote:
wrote in
:

I kept a pair of vice grips under the driver's seat of my '66 lay-down
Rambler.

You had one too?! Not sure of the year of the one I had. Wasn't
important. That full reclining split front seat sure was handy ;-)

Mine was '60. Not real pleased initially but it did serve well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

notbob wrote:
On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

[...]

I've used super glue on motor mount rubbers.

I used two pair of grips to compress the springs on my golf cart. I was
installing new heavy duty springs.

I still have wings on my datsun. I also have no roof.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

important. Doctors cut off the arrowhead, and used sterilized
Vise-grips to pull the aluminum shaft out from the other direction.

I prefer the much less exotic --and painful!-- example of when I used
a really small pair (2"-3") as a handle on my car's old fashioned
wind wing latch. A larger pair served as the inside car door handle.

I kept a pair of vice grips under the driver's seat of my '66 lay-down
Rambler.

You had one too?! Not sure of the year of the one I had. Wasn't
important. That full reclining split front seat sure was handy ;-)

I went on lots of camping trips in that car...no tent needed. In fact, no
campground needed.

http://brining.com/autoauction/1966R...Ambassador.JPG

Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife
She had a brand new lay down Rambler
She parked t'other side of town, layed the Rambler down
She said she sure could dig it if I'd knew her

Blues Brothers - 'B' Movie Box Car Blues
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

notbob wrote:
On 2013-07-09, micky wrote:

[...]

Geeezz. Must be the same year of my dads wagon. Good wagon, 327. Got good
service. Metal blue.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2013-07-09, dpb wrote:

Mine was '60. Not real pleased initially but it did serve well...

I had one of those for about 4 yrs. Inline six flathead that would
cruz at 75 all day long. Had no driver side window, but didn't need
one. The heater would bake bread and kept me cozy warm through snowy
Eastern OR winter. One of the best cars I ever owned. I didn't know
the seats would fully recline.

Old 544 Volvos (early 60s) did that. Hadda partially disassemble
front seats at hinge to get 'em down, but would make into a full sized
interior bed.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

http://brining.com/autoauction/1966R...%20Rambler%20A
mbassador.JPG

Next I caught a ride with a gambler's wife
She had a brand new lay down Rambler
She parked t'other side of town, layed the Rambler down
She said she sure could dig it if I'd knew her

Blues Brothers - 'B' Movie Box Car Blues

Uhhh yea, I went "camping" too. All I ever took was the Rambler and the
hippie chick :-) Long hair, bell bottoms, big hips and boobs. Still with
her after 40 years. Both of us need ironing :-(

mole grips Robert[_17_] UK diy 26 October 10th 10 11:56 AM
carpet grips: doubled up? Stephen[_6_] UK diy 3 October 25th 09 12:52 PM
Vise grips tools Randy Metalworking 77 October 20th 09 11:23 PM
carpet grips Stephen[_2_] UK diy 23 November 7th 08 01:39 PM
HANDGUN GRIPS J T Woodworking 0 September 13th 07 03:41 PM