Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof Estimate Help

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about roofing and the price seems amazingly cheap compared to what we expected.

Could anyone look over the estimate and give us some feedback on it? Thank you.

Here's the quote:

Roofing - Member Discount

Removal of all existing roofing and flashing membranes. Replacement of following flashing materials: step flashing, collars, pipe jacks, perimeter drip edge material. All materials to meet or exceed manufacturer's requirements.

Installation of Ice/Watershield Membrane along bottom perimeter of roof and in valley portions of roof.۬Installation of one layer of TARCO 30# asphalt saturated roofing underlayment on deck surface not covered with ice and water protection material.

Installation of new GAF Timberline Lifetime HD Architectural Shingles will be installed in strict accordance with the manufacturer's specifications and shall be fastened using five nails per shingle.

Installation of 5-1/2 inch aluminum drip edge along entire outside perimeter of roof.۬ Installation of GAF Seal-A-Ridge Cap shingles along all hips and ridges.

Installation of 12"x4' GAF Cobra ridge vent in areas requiring proper attic ventilation.۬Removal of all debris and general clean-up of construction site once substantially completed.

*Roof to be installed in strict accordance with manufacturer's specifications; 5 Year Warranty on labor to be provided upon substantial completion.

Angie's List Member Discount
3,600.00
-5.00%
*A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion.
$3,420.00
Posted to alt.home.repair

Saif Raza wrote:
[...]

Hi,
It'd be nice if you mention where you live and how big/old the house is,
what style building(bungalow, 2 story, split level, etc.) Also lien hold
back you can use? What if they find a roof sheathing needing
replacement? Where I live typical roof shingle job costs any where from
6 to 10G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry the house was built in 1973, and we are not sure when the roof was last replaced. It's about 2100 square feet and we are having a few other companies come out this week to give us estimates. We had thought it would be be about 5-9k to replace the roof, and this price surprised us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 11:40:30 AM UTC-4, Saif Raza wrote:
Sorry the house was built in 1973, and we are not sure when the roof was last replaced. It's about 2100 square feet and we are having a few other companies come out this week to give us estimates. We had thought it would be be about 5-9k to replace the roof, and this price surprised us.

That price is either a mistake or they're just nuts. I'm in NJ and
I got quotes recently from 3 roofers. The going rate was $280 to $320
a square, ie per 100 sq ft. That would be $6000 to $6700 for your roof. My quote was for very similar material, ie 30 year OC TrueDef Arch shingles, ice
barrier at the eaves, tear off, etc. You're looking at $100 a square just
for the shingles. Factor in the ice barrier, felt, drip edge, whatever the
disposal cost for the tear off is, which typically is hundreds of dollars,
whatever their labor cost is, etc and they would be doing this job for no profit.

The quote should also contain a cost per sheet of sheathing,
if it's found that any need to be replaced. Going rate here for that is $50.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Saif Raza" wrote in message
Sorry, I live in Roanoke, VA. It's a two story split foyer house. Is roof
sheathing the felt liner that goes underneath the shingles?

The sheathing is the wood under the shingles.

Many roofs have the 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 inch rafters that sort of look like
triangles spaced a 16 to 24 inches apart. Over that is often 4 by 8 feet
sheets of plywood or boards about an inch thick and 4 or 6 inches wide then
the felt liner and the shingles. The sheathing is what holds the nails in
for one thing and makes the roof strong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saif Raza wrote:

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to
get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from
a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies
List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about
[...]

Had my roof replaced a couple years ago with the same shingles and
similar sized roof although mine is a rancher. Cost was around $7000
though. No drip edge since I'm coastal.

Prices varied by 2-3 thousand, but I showed competing estimates to the
reputable companies in my area and got them to drop their prices until
I settled on one. It took a bunch of Ecuadorans almost three days to
finish the job but they were not goofing off whatsoever. They did a
great job and I haven't had any problems.

The neighbor across the street saved on his roof job and hired a one
man crew and helped him with the roof job. The house developed mold
problems and there was no one to sue. They ended up walking away from
the house and the bank foreclosed on them.

As an aside, I have a friend who's a salesman for a construction
company. He tells me stories about the markups he charges for gutter,
door or repair jobs, especially if the homeowner is a jerk and they
don't really want the job. I told him to stop telling me these stories
since I'm a homeowner and it'll just **** me off even more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 12:33:25 PM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
Saif Raza wrote:

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to

get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from

a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies

List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about

[...]

What does drip edge or lack of it have to do with coastal? Drip
edge is to help keep water off the fascia boards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 07:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Saif Raza
wrote in
Re Roof
Estimate Help:

*A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion.

That 50% deposit is unusual in my area. Around here (rural south
east) you pay when the work (all the work) is completed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Forgot to add, I would not recommend using Cobra type ridge vents.
That's one of the roll type and I'm not convinced you get enough
air flow through them. They are also highly dependent on how you
nail them. It's essentially a cushy foam material like you'd find in
a window AC and if you nail it down too much, there is going to be
less air flow. I'd go with Shingle Vent II, or similar, which is
one of the rigid plastic vents where it's very open.

Also make sure there is adequate soffit venting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies. I had another company Miller Roofing Inc come out and give me an estimate and they say $4200 to tear away and replace the roof also with GAF Timberline Shingles. On their quote they wrote refelt with 30lb, reflash wells and chimney (not sure what that means), and stated it would be $50 per sheathing they needed to replace.

After looking on Angie's list, Miller Roofing has been around for a while and has mostly positive reviews. So maybe the cost of labor/materials is that much cheaper here than in New Jersey?

I have two more companies coming out this week to give me estimates, and I'm starting to hope we can do this for under 5k.

On Monday, July 8, 2013 12:09:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I would also go out and inspect the fascia boards, gutters, etc. If you have

rotting fascia boards, kaput gutters, etc, that needs to be addressed at the

same time.

And for sure I would not let any company that has been in the roofing

business for 6 months anywhere near my house. If they screw it up, you

can have anything from leaks to bubbling shingles and none of that is

easy to fix once done wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Saif Raza wrote:
Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to
get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from
a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies
List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about
[...]

You said that you will be getting some other estimates which is a good idea.

I would not do this part under any circumstances: "*A deposit of 50% is due
prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion."

It's only a 1 or 2 day job, and if it was me, I would pay them in full when
the job is done. "Sometimes", if the contractor is nervous about fronting
his/her money for the job before getting paid, I agree to have the materials
ordered in my name and delivered to my property with me paying for the
materials. But, a deposit up front -- no thanks.

People will argue both sides of this issue -- the contractor's side and the
homeowner's side. My view is that once I pay a deposit up front (especially
a 50% deposit), the contractor already has all of his profit in his hand.
He/she has no incentive to do the job at that point.

Another issue is about getting the permit to do the job. Where I live, a
permit is required. I always have the contractor get the permit, and I
usually pay for the cost of the permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 12:01:49 -0700 (PDT), Saif Raza
wrote:

[...]

Your "raised bungalow" (I assume that's what you mean by "split
foyer") is one of the cheapest to re-roof - usually fairly low pitch
and lower than a 2 story - and no valleys or transitions.

It is about twice the size of my 2 story, but I also have an attched
garage, bringing the total square footage up pretty close. 6 years ago
I had mine done here in Soutwestern Ontario, with drip edge, ice block
and 30 lb felt for $4600 - the contract specified up to so many square
feet of plywood sheathing replaced at no extra labour charge if
required - none was needed.

I did my roof the first time with help from father (made his living in
construction) and brothers and friends - all of whom are much older
now so I paid to have it done this time. I've done quite a few roofs
over the years so It wasn't anything new for me (or most of the crew I
had helping)

The company I had do it this time has been in business for over 20
years and my Dad had done work for them /with them for years, so I
knew they were trustworthy.

If I were you, I'd likely go with your "Miller Roofing"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 3:04:47 PM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
Saif Raza wrote:

Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to

get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from

a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies

List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about

[...]

Good points. The part of the contract about "balance upon substantial
completion" really sucks. I sure wouldn't sign a contract that said I
had to pay in full until the job was totally done and inspected, if necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in :

Forgot to add, I would not recommend using Cobra type ridge vents.
That's one of the roll type and I'm not convinced you get enough
air flow through them. They are also highly dependent on how you
nail them. It's essentially a cushy foam material like you'd find in
a window AC and if you nail it down too much, there is going to be
less air flow. I'd go with Shingle Vent II, or similar, which is
one of the rigid plastic vents where it's very open.

Also make sure there is adequate soffit venting.

Installation of 12"x4' GAF Cobra ridge vent

Since it said x4', it must be the rigid 4ft pcs.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...a_Rigid_Vent_3

Balance is due upon substantial completion.

To me this reads they want full payment before they finish. That's a no-no.

My personal feel is that Angies List is a crock of ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
Forgot to add, I would not recommend using Cobra type ridge vents.
That's one of the roll type and I'm not convinced you get enough
air flow through them. They are also highly dependent on how you
nail them. It's essentially a cushy foam material like you'd find in
a window AC and if you nail it down too much, there is going to be
less air flow. I'd go with Shingle Vent II, or similar, which is
one of the rigid plastic vents where it's very open.

Cobra Vent 2 and 3 are rigid vents, similar to Shingle Vent II.

I had rigid vents installed recently. Currently I have a bunch of maple
tree helicopter seeds sticking up out of the vents along both ridges of my
house. This is long after they've rotted or blown away on the ground.

At least they have no medium to grow in, unlike the gutters on the house
across the street. Her gutters may be declared a national forest soon and
she won't be allowed to clean them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Angie's List Member Discount
3,600.00
-5.00%
*A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion.
$3,420.00

I'd not touch these guys.

It sounds cheap to start with. Next is the terms. I've bought roofing
many times in the past 12 years and typical terms are 1/3 at signing,
1/3 at half completion, 1/3 after completion.

He can do it very cheap by taking half up front and then getting the
balance after "substantial" completion and he takes off with your
money. No way is anyone getting full payment before completion.. This
outfit is under financed and on shaky ground and you can easily get
screwed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Angie's List Member Discount
3,600.00
-5.00%
*A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion.
$3,420.00

I'd not touch these guys.

It sounds cheap to start with. Next is the terms. I've bought roofing
many times in the past 12 years and typical terms are 1/3 at signing,
1/3 at half completion, 1/3 after completion.

He can do it very cheap by taking half up front and then getting the
balance after "substantial" completion and he takes off with your
money. No way is anyone getting full payment before completion.. This
outfit is under financed and on shaky ground and you can easily get
screwed.

Likely better terms if NOT on "Angies List".
I'd use them IF the terms were 30/30/30 or 50/50 - after completion,
I've personally never paid more than 25% on signing, balance within 7
days of completion - but that was the contractor knowing my Dad and
knowing who he was dealing with. (except for when I did my own - I
paid cash for the materials before they hit the truck).

I really would not have an issue paying for the materials up-front if
they were under my control from time of purchace (I buy - roofer
installs) but my roofer got a MUCH better price than I could ever have
gotten - he buys basically by the semi trailer load as he roofs a
significant number of new houses every year, as well as the re-roof
jobs. Even with his markup Home Despot couldn't touch his price for
the materials.

My brother is building a new home and shop up in Muskoka district, and
he found a building supplier who is beating everyone else by 17 to 30%
ov virtually everything - from lumber to nails to steel to shingles to
insulation. And that's buying in the "boonies" where they pay more to
have it shipped in, and free delivery to his site on any order over
$300.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Angie's List Member Discount
3,600.00
-5.00%
*A deposit of 50% is due prior to commencement. Balance is due upon substantial completion.
$3,420.00

I'd not touch these guys.

It sounds cheap to start with. Next is the terms. I've bought roofing
many times in the past 12 years and typical terms are 1/3 at signing,
1/3 at half completion, 1/3 after completion.

He can do it very cheap by taking half up front and then getting the
balance after "substantial" completion and he takes off with your
money. No way is anyone getting full payment before completion.. This
outfit is under financed and on shaky ground and you can easily get
screwed.

Hi,
I always pay the last hold back when I was shown the material is paid
for. Mo. old outfit may not even have n credit account with his
supplier. Looks like he will use the first installment to get materials
for the job. No local BBB to check some other roofers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 7:58:53 PM UTC-4, Red Green wrote:
" wrote in :

Forgot to add, I would not recommend using Cobra type ridge vents.

That's one of the roll type and I'm not convinced you get enough

air flow through them. They are also highly dependent on how you

nail them. It's essentially a cushy foam material like you'd find in

a window AC and if you nail it down too much, there is going to be

less air flow. I'd go with Shingle Vent II, or similar, which is

one of the rigid plastic vents where it's very open.

Also make sure there is adequate soffit venting.

Installation of 12"x4' GAF Cobra ridge vent

Since it said x4', it must be the rigid 4ft pcs.

Good point, I missed that. I thought Cobra was only the
roll type of venting. But clearly they also have the
rigid and like you say, since it's 4' long that must be
what they propose to use, so it's OK.

http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residenti...a_Rigid_Vent_3

Balance is due upon substantial completion.

To me this reads they want full payment before they finish. That's a no-no.

My personal feel is that Angies List is a crock of ****.

I don't think much of AL either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

They have decent reviews on Angies List (7-9) and seem legitimate.

How does Angies verify that those who rate are customers and not
family members of the contractor?

Can you go see some of the homes they did and talk to the owners to be
sure they did them?

I borrowed my friend's weedwacker and sort of liked it, so I checked
it's ratings in Amazon. Lots of people hated it, but one review
explained that that was before they changed a part that wore out
quickly, and that's why everyone really likes it now. And I believe
it, because my friend's was bought well after the date in question.

But the review was just too precise, hit every note, and I'm pretty
sure someone from the company which made it wrote it. Amazon even
notes whether the reviewer bought one via Amazon or not, but it would
surely be worth buying one for 100 or 200 dollars than counting on
volunteers to undo all the bad ratings it had gotten.

So in this case I don't mind a review by the vendor himself, but in
just about every other case I would. How do Angies and Yahoo and the
other sites that have reviews keep this from happening?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2013 10:50 AM, Saif Raza wrote:
Hi everyone,

We just bought a house and are new to home repair, etc. We need to
get the roof replaced and I have the following written estimate from
a fairly new company (6 months). They have decent reviews on Angies
List (7-9) and seem legitimate. However, we don't know much about
[...]

I strongly recommend getting at least one more, probably 2 more
estimates before signing the contract. For this area, (DC metro) the
price seems too low for a quality roofing job that includes removal of
the existing roofing and flashing on a full sized house. However, this
is a high cost area. Find 2 other roofers that are recommended on
Angies list and get their estimates as well. You may have found a
bargain, or you may be signing up for trouble. If they are a new
company as opposed to one that has been in business in your area for a
decade or more, will they still be around in a few years if you need
warranty work?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

BBB is as useless as most home inspectors -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 8, 2013 9:50:32 AM UTC-5, Saif Raza wrote:
[...]

The OP said his roof area is 2100 sq feet, that's 30' x 70',more or less. I wonder if he meant the house was 2100 square feet, and being 2 stories the actual roof area would be about 1/2 x 2100 sq feet, plus allowing for whatever slope would increase the actual area it would still come in around 1500 square feet. The price he was quoted is about what I might expect for 1500 sq feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Why would they want to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks parked there were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them, he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and shown me two roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Timberline HD shingles everyone else was offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences between the two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since he's a neighbor and was working on roofs a few houses down. Its reassuring to see that other neighbors are using him as well.

However, I didn't see any reviews for him on Angie's List. Many of you seem to think it's a crapshoot from Angie's List, so I think I'm not too worried about that. His company is J&S Carpentry and his BBB ratings don't show any complaints.

Here's his quote would you all mind telling me if you see anything worrisome in it?

"Remove and replace shingels with Atlas Pinnacle Architect Lifteme LTD Warranty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge, Lomanco Shingle over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash and debris.Any rotten plywood found after old shingles are removed and will be an additional charge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Yes sorry ,the house is about 2100 sq feet and the roof is about half of that I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:53:20 AM UTC-4, Saif Raza wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks parked there were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them, he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and shown me two roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Timberline HD shingles everyone else was offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences between the two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since he's a neighbor and was working on roofs a few houses down. Its reassuring to see that other neighbors are using him as well.

However, I didn't see any reviews for him on Angie's List. Many of you seem to think it's a crapshoot from Angie's List, so I think I'm not too worried about that. His company is J&S Carpentry and his BBB ratings don't show any complaints.

Here's his quote would you all mind telling me if you see anything worrisome in it?

"Remove and replace shingels with Atlas Pinnacle Architect Lifteme LTD Warranty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge, Lomanco Shingle over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash and debris.Any rotten plywood found after old shingles are removed and will be an additional charge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"

Some points:

Similar architectural shingles are about the same price. If you find
a style or color you like better in GAF, there shouldn't be a reason that
he won't use that shingle. The supply houses typically carry most of
them, you just walk up to the counter and tell them which ones you want.

I would find out what kind of sheathing he's planning on using. AT that
price, it can't be CDX plywood, which is what it should be. It's almost
certainly OSB, which I would not use for a roof. CDX is about $20 a sheet.
Even if it's OSB, it's unbelievable that a roofer would rip out a bad
piece and replace it with a new one for just $25. Here, NJ it's $50,
which seems a reasonable price. IDK how these guys stay in business.

I don't know what Lomanco shingle over Ventaridge means. I would think
he would be using matching cap shingles from the shingle manufacturer or
cutting their regular shingles. Also, googled Ventaridge and didn't
find much. If it were my house, I would spec Shingle Vent II, GAF/OC
rigid style. It is a rigid one, which is goob, but if it were my
house, I'd want one that is widely used and known not to have
problems.

Is ice dam required by code at the eaves? Since the lowball guy you
started had it in his quote, I would bet it is. It's required in
areas where ice dams can occur, definitely here in NJ, don't know
about VA. No ice dam material in his quote and that stuff adds to
the cost. A call to the building dept will answer that. And if they
say it's required, that tells you something about your new guy.

Permit required? Who pays?

Reflash roof plumbing vents?

How much down, payment schedule?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Agreed, the neighbor's quote is too short and doesn't discuss many things that were in the originally quoted quote.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 05:53:20 -0700 (PDT), Saif Raza
wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks parked there were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them, he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and shown me two roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Timberline HD shingles everyone else was offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences between the two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since he's a neighbor and was working on roofs a few houses down. Its reassuring to see that other neighbors are using him as well.

However, I didn't see any reviews for him on Angie's List. Many of you seem to think it's a crapshoot from Angie's List, so I think I'm not too worried about that. His company is J&S Carpentry and his BBB ratings don't show any complaints.

Here's his quote would you all mind telling me if you see anything worrisome in it?

"Remove and replace shingels with Atlas Pinnacle Architect Lifteme LTD Warranty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge, Lomanco Shingle over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash and debris.Any rotten plywood found after old shingles are removed and will be an additional charge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"

Just go with the neighbor. If you want a specific shingle, different
venting, or more detail in the contract, just ask about it.
It'a a good bet he knows more about it than anybody here.
You might pay more for selecting materials, because there's ways
contractors can work materials to their advantage - and yours.
A saved extra bundle here and there can be sold twice.
He might have a square or two of left over Atlas in a shed.
Nothing wrong with that, and it might be considered a way to keep
bids low and prices down.
You know where he lives, and he knows you know.
Neighborly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies
(including Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all
of the estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to
feel more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks
parked there were for work being done and when I went over to ask
about them, he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his
job sites and shown me two roofs that he was working on over the
weekend in the neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas
Pinnacle Architect Shingles instead of the GAF Timberline HD
shingles everyone else was offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences
between the two shingles and I think I'm going to choose him since
he's a neighbor and was working on roofs a few houses down. Its
reassuring to see that other neighbors are using him as well.

[...]

My experience has been that it is better to go with someone that you
don't know or are friends with. Entering into professional contracts
with friends can easily lead to fallout if something goes wrong with
the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:24:42 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

My experience has been that it is better to go with someone that you
don't know or are friends with. Entering into professional contracts
with friends can easily lead to fallout if something goes wrong with
the job.

I know what you're saying, but I see "neighborly" and "friend" as 2
different things.
Why I'd go with this neighbor is he took the OP to his work sites, and
he seems on the up and up.
That die has been cast. To go with somebody else when he got a good
bid price won't help the neighborly relationship.
Might not hurt it either, or it won't matter either way.
Just what I'd do. Overall, it's good to have connections in the
trades, as long as you keep your eyes open.
It's been my experience that a stranger is more likely to screw you
than somebody you have a "relationship" with.
And it's a 2-way street with "friends". Some contractors don't want
to do work for a friend when they know the "friend" has a beef with
everything.
In the end it's a simple and relatively inexpensive re-roofing job
that has very little to "go wrong" so it's not a big deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including
Lowes who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the
estimates are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel
more comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. . .
Here's his quote would you all mind telling me if you see anything
worrisome in it?

"Remove and replace shingles with Atlas Pinnacle Architect Lifteme
LTD Warranty, Scotch, 30lb Asphalt Felt, White Aluminum Drip Edge,
Lomanco Shingle over Ventardige, Reflash Chimney, Remove all trash
and debris.Any rotten plywood found after old shingles are removed
and will be an additional charge of $25 per sheet. - $3600"

Just go with the neighbor. If you want a specific shingle, different
venting, or more detail in the contract, just ask about it. . . . ,
You know where he lives, and he knows you know. . .

I tend to agree. And, since you have other written bids, if there are
things in those other bids that you want to be sure about in the bid from
your neighbor (such as ice shield), just show him and ask him about
including those items or whatever.

Also, about the actual shingles. . . , my inclination would be to go with
the more common brand (GAF Timberline) since there may be a better chance of
you being able to get replacement shingles of the same style and color in
the future if you suffer wind damage from a storm etc.

You can ask him to provide all of the same stuff you would want from any
other contractor such as proof of insurance faxed directly to you from his
insurance carrier, getting the permit, etc. And, as always, I wouldn't pay
anything up front for a job like this that will only take a day or two to
do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:53:20 AM UTC-4, Saif Raza wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help. We've had 3 other companies (including
Lowe

s who I know uses subcontractors) come out and all of the estimates
are in the range of 3600-4200, so I'm starting to feel more
comfortable.

Our neighbor turns out to be a contractor. I thought the trucks
parked th

ere were for work being done and when I went over to ask about them,
he told me they were his. He's taken me to a few of his job sites and
shown me two roofs that he was working on over the weekend in the
neighborhood and is offering $3600 for Atlas Pinnacle Architect
Shingles instead of the GAF Timberline HD shingles everyone else was
offering.

From Consumer Reports, I can't see any significant differences
[...]

I forget what the reason was but some years back I read to replace with
same material. That also means if there's OSB there, don't use CDX.

VAT on Estimate John UK diy 16 June 24th 10 10:09 AM
Roof estimate questions Jay-T[_2_] Home Repair 26 December 7th 09 07:35 PM
Help with estimate? John E. Home Repair 12 January 5th 07 09:07 PM
Cost Estimate - Sunken rafters under the roof (showing dips in the roof) [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 2nd 06 03:28 PM
Is Roof Repair Estimate Reasonable? [email protected] Home Repair 6 July 11th 06 03:06 AM