Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VAT on Estimate

I have had some estimates and one I am interested in makes no reference to
VAT so I am uncertain as to whether it is included or needs to be added. I
don't particularly want to ask at this stage - what is the correct / legal /
accepted position on this. Does a trader (VAT registered) have to show it -
or reference it?

For sake of comparisons I want to be prepared.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I have had some estimates and one I am interested in makes no reference
to VAT so I am uncertain as to whether it is included or needs to be
added. I don't particularly want to ask at this stage - what is the
correct / legal / accepted position on this. Does a trader (VAT
registered) have to show it - or reference it?

For sake of comparisons I want to be prepared.

They have to provide you with a VAT invoice on request - with VAT
itemised, VAT number etc. But on an estimate or a price tag, they don't
have to break it out. However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-
reg audience has to be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that
VAT is excluded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article W41Un.11582$cJ6.1017@hurricane, John
scribeth thus
I have had some estimates and one I am interested in makes no reference to
VAT so I am uncertain as to whether it is included or needs to be added. I
don't particularly want to ask at this stage - what is the correct / legal /
accepted position on this. Does a trader (VAT registered) have to show it -
or reference it?

For sake of comparisons I want to be prepared.

If their registered then of course they have to change VAT.

They may/ may not show it separately. AFAIK there is no legal position
on an estimate .. an invoice there is..

If you intend doing any business with this trader why ever cannot you
phone them up and ask?..

Course the VAT is I expect due to rise this PM so might be a good excuse
to see what part or parts of said quote might be affected or how long is
it valid for etc..

A perfectly reasonable question IMHO...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st Jan).

4th, not 1st. But, it _should_ be, yes.

Just because that's required doesn't mean it's always adhered to...

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st
Jan).

4th, not 1st. But, it _should_ be, yes.

Just because that's required doesn't mean it's always adhered to...

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

Is that something that HMRC gets excited about?

I'd doubt it, although it's strong ammunition should a quote not mention
VAT - and the supplier later try it as a "suprise"...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 1:48*pm, Adrian wrote:
Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st Jan).

4th, not 1st. But, it _should_ be, yes.

Just because that's required doesn't mean it's always adhered to...

A fine example...http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

Learn to use the scroll bar in your browser.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st Jan).

4th, not 1st. But, it _should_ be, yes.

Just because that's required doesn't mean it's always adhered to...

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

On the home page in white: All prices are plus VAT on the website for the
UK and European Countries

All prices are plus VAT on the website for the UK and European
Countries

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

A fine example...http://www.abbottracing.net No mention of VAT anywhere
until you're logged in and give a UK address for delivery. Naughty.

Learn to use the scroll bar in your browser.

Well, bugger me. That's new since I considered buying an exhaust from
them a month or two ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2010 15:30, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Tim gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st Jan).

4th, not 1st. But, it _should_ be, yes.

Just because that's required doesn't mean it's always adhered to...

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

On the home page in white: All prices are plus VAT on the website for the
UK and European Countries

All prices are plus VAT on the website for the UK and European
Countries

And that's naughty. Unlike in the US (*), prices to consumers have to
show VAT (IIRC). However I suspect it's more a TSO thing rather than HMRC.

(* how many times did I get caught by that? "How much is that?" "20
dollars" "Ok". (rings up till) "21 dollars please" "???")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 3:33*pm, Clive George wrote:
On 22/06/2010 15:30, mark wrote:

*wrote in message
[...]

Define "consumer". I could list no end of catalogues and web sites
that show VAT exclusive prices.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 4:02*pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

Define "consumer". I could list no end of catalogues and web sites
that show VAT exclusive prices.

Defined he http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 4:48*pm, pcb1962 wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:02*pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

Define "consumer". I could list no end of catalogues and web sites
that show VAT exclusive prices.

Defined hehttp://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023045.htm

For that legislation, but nothing about VAT.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
Tim Streater gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

However, any price quoted to a primarily non-VAT-reg audience has to
be either VAT inclusive or has to be explicit that VAT is excluded.

So if they don't mention VAT Then it is included (at 20% from 1st Jan).

4th, not 1st. ...

Much more sensible date. Last time, I had to be online on New Year's Eve
to change the rate on my web sites.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian
saying something like:

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

Did they add this recently?
" All prices are plus VAT on the website for the UK and European
Countries"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 12:44*am, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian
saying something like:

A fine example...
http://www.abbottracing.net
No mention of VAT anywhere until you're logged in and give a UK address
for delivery. Naughty.

Did they add this recently?
" All prices are plus VAT on the website for the UK and European
Countries"

At least 2 days ago!

MBQ