Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ABS vent pipe

I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being
rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get
some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly
impossible to locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't
stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC
components would be available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted
around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS pipe,
elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to locate. Big
box stores like Lowes and HD don't stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC components would be available.

How about a Fernco coupling?

http://www.fernco.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 8:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Jim wrote:
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted
around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS pipe,
elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to locate. Big
box stores like Lowes and HD don't stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC components would be available.

How about a Fernco coupling?

http://www.fernco.com/

There is adhesive rated for PVC to ABS and iirc, the sizes are the same.
And for this application, there will be no pressure, so I don't think
I'd worry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote in
:

Jim wrote:
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted
around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS
pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to
locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't stock it. Ditto for
plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC
components would be available.

How about a Fernco coupling?

http://www.fernco.com/

There is adhesive rated for PVC to ABS and iirc,

Believe you are correct Art; however, I've seen local codes that don't
buy into it...if that's a consideration.

the sizes are the
same.
And for this application, there will be no pressure, so I don't
think
I'd worry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2013 7:03 AM, Jim wrote:
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC components would be available.

http://www.oatey.com/products/plasti...n-green-cement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being
rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get
some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly
impossible to locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't
stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC
components would be available.

I think it depends on where you are located. Individual Home Depot and
Lowes stores sometimes stock different items (and intentionally don't stock
others) based what the local codes in their town request or allow. For
example, one store may state, "We don't stock XYZ product because local
codes do not allow it to be used." I think that they do that in some towns
for "political" reasons and to keep the peace with local code officials,
even though I think they could legally sell whatever they want in any store.

I can't imagine a plumbing supply place not selling ABS.

Where are you located?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:25:05 AM UTC-4, Red Green wrote:
Art Todesco wrote in

:

Jim wrote:

I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being rerouted

around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get some ABS

pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly impossible to

locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't stock it. Ditto for

plumbing supply stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC? At least then PVC

components would be available.

How about a Fernco coupling?

http://www.fernco.com/

There is adhesive rated for PVC to ABS and iirc,

Believe you are correct Art; however, I've seen local codes that don't

buy into it...if that's a consideration.

the sizes are the

same.

And for this application, there will be no pressure, so I don't

think

I'd worry.

I think it's not true that the glue is rated for gluing
ABS to PVC. The glue can be used with either, but as you
point out, I believe the national plumbing code says you
can't directly glue one to the other. I might be wrong on
that, but that's how I remember it. One indication would be
to read the instructions for the glue, and I bet it doesn't
say anywhere specifically that you can joing ABS to PVC.

But, as you say, for this application, it's not a pressure
fitting, no water, etc, so I bet it would work fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/06/2013 11:08 AM, TomR wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

Long Island, NY

Plumbing supply store said they don't stock ABS any more and they
are the largest plumbing supply in the area. They did say some
HVAC suppliers might but being a holiday weekend it seemed wise to
begin checking alternatives.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Jim,

I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being
rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get
some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly
impossible to locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't
stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

The preference for ABS vs PVC seems to be a regional thing. Around here
(Washington State) ABS is the norm and it's rare to find PVC. But, I still
chose PVC which was only stocked at Lowes stores.

Is there a way to transition ABS to PVC?

If you could track down a single ABS fitting, you could use a male ABS
adapter with a female PVC adapter and thread them together. Or the other
way around (male PVC to female ABS).

Otherwise, your best bet would be a Fernco style coupling. These are rubber
couplings you slip over the end of each pipe and tighten down two large
band clamps. They're used frequently for joining different types of pipe
and for joining nohub cast iron.

I used PVC for our drain plumbing, but didn't want a big white pipe
sticking out of the roof. So I used a fernco coupling to transition to a
short piece of ABS pipe. I didn't have the vertical space needed to use the
male/female fittings.

One final thing to think about... As far as I know, standard PVC does not
have any UV protection built-in, so the pipe could become brittle and break
down in exposed sunlight. You may need to paint the pipe to protect it.

Take care,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com/anthony.htm
Senior Member

Since the whole idea behind a vent is to allow air into the drain piping so that the draining water doesn't suck the P-trap dry, you may be able to use an air admittance valve here instead of running that vent around the window.

Air admittance valves are used exactly for situations like this where using a vent pipe isn't practical.

An air admittance valve has to be down stream of, and at least 4 inches above the p-trap, but check your local plumbing code. Your local code may be different.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:57:05 AM UTC-7, HerHusband wrote:
Hi Jim,

I have an external ABS plumbing vent pipe in need of being

rerouted around a window. Project seemed easy enough, just get

some ABS pipe, elbows, cement. Now I'm finding ABS nearly

impossible to locate. Big box stores like Lowes and HD don't

stock it. Ditto for plumbing supply stores.

The preference for ABS vs PVC seems to be a regional thing. Around here

(Washington State) ABS is the norm and it's rare to find PVC. But, I still

chose PVC which was only stocked at Lowes stores.

I am in Eastern Washington state, town of 2,000. We have 3 different stores (Ace, Grange, and lumberyard) each has racks of both ABS and PVC.

Good point about the sun damage. I was going to warn him if no one else did.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:32:04 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Since the whole idea behind a vent is to allow air into the drain piping
so that the draining water doesn't suck the P-trap dry, you may be able
to use an air admittance valve here instead of running that vent around
the window.

Air admittance valves are used exactly for situations like this where
using a vent pipe isn't practical.

[image:
http://plumbinghow1.files.wordpress....-install2.jpg]

An air admittance valve has to be down stream of, and at least 4 inches
above the p-trap, but check your local plumbing code. Your local code
may be different.

Generally it is good advise to mount them 4 inches ABOVE the maximum
water level in the sink in question
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Generally it is good advise to mount them 4 inches ABOVE the maximum
water level in the sink in question
I agree, and in a bathroom you can always put the AAV in the wall behind the medicine cabinet. But, this is a kitchen and there typically isn't anything a person could hide the AAV behind. So, in this case, I think he'd just have to settle for it being as high up under the counter top as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:

[...]

Medium-Bodied Green colored cement for use in joining ABS to PVC in
non-pressure transition joints up to 6" diameter.

http://www.oatey.com/products/plasti...n-green-cement

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry,

I am in Eastern Washington state, town of 2,000. We have
3 different stores (Ace, Grange, and lumberyard) each has
racks of both ABS and PVC.

That must be nice. I'm in SW Washington state (near Portland, OR). Home
Depot, all of the small hardware stores like Ace and DoItBest, and even the
dedicated plumbing store only stock ABS pipe (for DWV pipe). Lowes is the
only place I have been able to find PVC locally.

I chose PVC because I was already familiar working with it for supply
plumbing, and the only time I used ABS I had a leak (probably just
coincidence, but I didn't want to chance it). It also seemed like ABS was
being phased out in other parts of the country, and I seem to remember
reading something about PVC being stronger (not that you really need
strength for a drain pipe).

Good point about the sun damage.

I've never really heard whether ABS has UV protection, but it's sticking
out of every roof in the county so I figured it would be OK.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com/anthony.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:

[...]

You are correct that Oatey says the glue can be used
to join ABS to PVC. But from the International Residential Code:

P3003.2 Prohibited joints.
Running threads and bands shall not be used in the drainage system. Drainage and vent piping shall not be drilled, tapped, burned or welded. The following types of joints and connections shall be prohibited:
1. Cement or concrete.
2. Mastic or hot-pour bituminous joints.
3. Joints made with fittings not approved for the specific installation.
4. Joints between different diameter pipes made with elastomeric rolling O-rings.
5. Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe.6. Saddle-type fittings.

So, depending on where you live, what codes they follow,
and the inspector, it may or may not be permitted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

Jim wrote:

[...]

http://www.oatey.com/products/plasti...rimers/special
ty-cements/abs-to-pvc-transition-green-cement

You are correct that Oatey says the glue can be used
to join ABS to PVC. But from the International Residential Code:

P3003.2 Prohibited joints.
Running threads and bands shall not be used in the drainage system.
Drainage and vent piping shall not be drilled, tapped, burned or
welded. The following types of joints and connections shall be
prohibited: 1. Cement or concrete.
2. Mastic or hot-pour bituminous joints.
3. Joints made with fittings not approved for the specific
installation. 4. Joints between different diameter pipes made with
elastomeric rolling O-rings. 5. Solvent-cement joints between
different types of plastic pipe.6. Saddle-type fittings.

So, depending on where you live, what codes they follow,
and the inspector, it may or may not be permitted.

....which is why my reply included:

Vent pipe location michael UK diy 1 November 7th 09 09:50 AM
CH vent pipe Stephen[_2_] UK diy 5 November 3rd 08 10:31 PM
vent pipe franz frippl Home Repair 5 August 14th 07 10:59 PM
Vent pipe in the way. Kevin Ricks Home Repair 2 March 13th 05 12:17 AM
Why is a vent pipe necessary? Richard Tobin UK diy 23 February 5th 05 12:41 AM