Kevin Ricks

Default Vent pipe in the way.

In my basement furnace room I have a 2" black ABS vent that T's off into 2
pipes going down into the slab. Kinda looks like an 'h' where the horizontal
jog is about 5' above the slab.
What is the purpose of this double pipe into one? I have seen this is other
homes also.
I put a freezer in there and now have trouble getting to the water softener
back behind the furnace. I assume I can't just cut off and cap one of the
pipes but I could reconfigure the pipe so that I can step over it by putting
in a couple of 45's or three 90's and jog over and up. Is there a problem
with reconfiguring the vent pipes?
Thanks
Kevin

Speedy Jim

Kevin Ricks wrote:
In my basement furnace room I have a 2" black ABS vent that T's off into 2
pipes going down into the slab. Kinda looks like an 'h' where the horizontal
jog is about 5' above the slab.
What is the purpose of this double pipe into one? I have seen this is other
homes also.
I put a freezer in there and now have trouble getting to the water softener
back behind the furnace. I assume I can't just cut off and cap one of the
pipes but I could reconfigure the pipe so that I can step over it by putting
in a couple of 45's or three 90's and jog over and up. Is there a problem
with reconfiguring the vent pipes?
Thanks
Kevin

It's apparently venting 2 drains
which happen to be under the slab.

Yes, you can reconfigure it.
Any horizontal sections must
slope "upward" toward the roof
terminal. That allows condensate
to drain back down.

Jim
Kevin Ricks

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
Kevin Ricks wrote:
In my basement furnace room I have a 2" black ABS vent that T's off into
2 pipes going down into the slab. Kinda looks like an 'h' where the
horizontal jog is about 5' above the slab.
What is the purpose of this double pipe into one? I have seen this in
other homes also.
I put a freezer in there and now have trouble getting to the water
softener back behind the furnace. I assume I can't just cut off and cap
one of the pipes but I could reconfigure the pipe so that I can step over
it by putting in a couple of 45's or three 90's and jog over and up. Is
there a problem with reconfiguring the vent pipes?
Thanks
Kevin

It's apparently venting 2 drains
which happen to be under the slab.

Yes, you can reconfigure it.
Any horizontal sections must
slope "upward" toward the roof
terminal. That allows condensate
to drain back down.

Jim

There are 2 nearby drain pipes into the slab coming from 2 different
bathrooms upstairs plus an open floor drain in the room.
Thanks
Kevin