Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT What are goat-heads?

OT "We moved out to the country 2 years ago. Within the first two
days all 3 of our 4 kids' bike tires went flat from the goat-heads on
the property."

What are goat-heads?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 3:14:15 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
OT "We moved out to the country 2 years ago. Within the first two

days all 3 of our 4 kids' bike tires went flat from the goat-heads on

the property."

What are goat-heads?

Seeds of the plant described at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

"The nutlets or "seeds" are hard and bear two to three sharp spines, 10 mm long and 4–6 mm broad point-to-point. These nutlets strikingly resemble goats' or bulls' heads; the "horns" are sharp enough to puncture bicycle tires and lawn mower tires and to cause painful injury to bare fee"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Micky,

Tribulus terrestris is a flowering plant. It's considered a weed in the
US. It's also lnown as the caltrop or the puncture vine.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/4/2013 6:58 AM, David L. Martel wrote:
Micky,

Tribulus terrestris is a flowering plant. It's considered a weed in the
US....

It isn't "considered" a weed, it _IS_ a weed...and a scourge at that.

Not quite to the level of being on the noxious weed list because it's
easy enough to eradicate and doesn't have quite the level of
invasive-ness of the things that make that list (stuff like bindweed,
Canadian thistle, etc., etc., ...) but as a nuisance it's right on up
there w/ the best of 'em.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
OT "We moved out to the country 2 years ago. Within the first two
days all 3 of our 4 kids' bike tires went flat from the goat-heads on
the property."

What are goat-heads?

Ouch the bottoms of my feet hurt just to think about them... any kid
that's goes barefoot learns fast what a goatheads are and never forgets.
And bike tires... replace the tubes with the heavy duty ones, put in
slime and keep the air pump handy... when you change the tubes be sure
to check the inside of the tire for barbs that are still sticking
through the tire.
Goatheads are one of the easiest plants to pull up, only a big tap
root holding them, or a broad leaf herbicide will clear your yard of them.

read all about it,..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 03:14:15 -0400, micky
wrote:

Within the first two
days all 3 of our 4 kids' bike tires went flat from the goat-heads on
the property."

Consider solid tires...
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren[_2_] View Post
Consider solid tires...
I don't think solid rubber tires are available for bicycles, are they? If they are, I could see how you'd need a special rim for them.

Last edited by nestork : July 4th 13 at 05:02 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Happy 4th of July to our southern neighbors

On 7/4/2013 11:20 AM, nestork wrote:
Here's wishing that everyone south of the 49th parallel(* See Note
Below), including those in Alaska, have a happy and safe Independance
Day holiday.

Canada celebrated "Canada Day" last Monday on July 1st.

* The 49th parallel forms most of the border between the US and Canada,
and most maps don't show it, but the state of Minnesota actually extends
north of the 49th parallel for about 25 miles in an area called the
"Northwest Angle".

[image: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa...esota/map.GIF]

Most of the area of the Northwest Angle is water, and the land areas in
it are only accessible by boat or sea plane from the US. The land
within the Northwest Angle is mostly occupied by the Red Lake Indian
Reservation.

[image: http://nierocks.areavoices.com/files.../anglemap.jpg]

People entering the Northwest Angle by road have to check in with US
Customs officials by videophone at a small cabin located along the
US/Canada border. People going back into Canada have to do the same
thing with Canada customs at the same cabin.

Most people have never heard of the Northwest Angle. So far as I know,
it's the only place where the southern 49 contiuous states extend north
of the 49th parallel.

Nestork,

Thank you for those links.

I don't know if this will matter to you or not, but I wanted to mention
something about the "image" links that you post. In both this thread and
the thread entitled "Supplying Water to Toilet from Gravity Feed Tanks"
you provided links enclosed in brackets [] and starting with the string
"image:"

I was wondering if you add the string and the brackets or if your
newsreader does.

The reason I ask is that the newsreader on my iPad does not play well
with urls of that format. For example, this link:

[image: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa...esota/map.GIF]

takes my iPad to www.enchantedlearning.com/nosuchfile.html

and

[image: http://nierocks.areavoices.com/files.../anglemap.jpg]

takes me to, well, nowhere. 404 - File not found.

The image links in the "Supplying Water..." thread both took my iPad to
the about.com home page.

What appears to be happening is that the iPad picks up the close-bracket
"]" as part of the url. Since that URL doesn't exist, how it is handled
is dependent on how the parent site itself deals with bad urls.

I know it's my issue, not yours, but since a.h.r doesn't support images,
if you are trying to get the images to display in your post by manually
by adding the string and brackets, it's not going to work. In addition,
it messes up some (well, at least my) newsreader.

Thanks again and enjoy whichever holidays you choose to celebrate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
nestork

Thanks.

Did know about 'bump' there.

Can't believe after all the things US has done to Canada that Canada still remains civil to us. But glad they are.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Robert Macy" wrote in message
[...]

I have always wondered how that happened. The official answer is usually -
surveyor's error. But since the border runs about 90 degrees to the 49th
parallel, up through a peninsula and back down again, it would have to be a
very drunk surveyor. It would appear that possibly some American official
had a retreat up there and wanted it to remain in the US when the actual
border line was determined. I understand that there was also some confusion
as the the actual border between New York state and Quebec province until it
was final surveyed and the actual line determined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:20:32 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the wish (and even using "neighbor" is very neighbourly!). My daughter is at the Coe College Wilderness Field Station and has most likely entered into Ontario's Quetico Provincial Park at this time.
I'm sure she will come back with knowledge of the "Northwest Angle"...and now I know...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
eb.com...

[...]

The initial establishment of Angle Township being in the United States was
due to a map-maker's error. Benjamin Franklin and British representatives
established the initial U.S. and Canadian borders in the Treaty of Paris in
1783 from the Mitchell Map of colonial American geographer John Mitchell,
which mis-represented the source of the Mississippi River.

The Treaty of Paris, concluded between the United States and Great Britain
at the end of the American Revolutionary War, stated that the boundary
between U.S. territory and the British possessions to the north would run
"...through the Lake of the Woods to the northwestern-most point thereof,
and from thence on a due west course to the river Mississippi..."

The parties did not suspect that the source of the Mississippi River, Lake
Itasca (then unknown to European explorers), was south of that point. The
entire Mississippi was too far south to be intersected by a line running
west from the Lake of the Woods. The parties had used the Mitchell Map
during the treaty negotiations; that map showed the Mississippi extending
far to the north. In the Anglo-American Convention of 1818, the error was
corrected by having the boundary run directly from the northwest point of
the lake to the 49th parallel and then westward along it. The
Webster-Ashburton Treaty of 1842 reaffirmed this border.

When a survey team led by David Thompson finally located the
northwestern-most point of the lake and surveyed this north-south line, it
was found to intersect other bays of the lake and therefore to form the
boundary of a section of U.S. territory to its east, now known as the
Northwest Angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Angle

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:20:32 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Here's wishing that everyone south of the 49th parallel(* See Note
Below), including those in Alaska, have a happy and safe Independance
Day holiday.

Canada celebrated "Canada Day" last Monday on July 1st.

* The 49th parallel forms most of the border between the US and Canada,
and most maps don't show it, but the state of Minnesota actually extends
north of the 49th parallel for about 25 miles in an area called the
"Northwest Angle".

Thank you for your felicitation.

However, you have ruined our current administrations plans to invade
Canada. The "Northwest Angle" was going to be his command center for
the invasion.

You do realize our imposter-in-chief has been informed of your
posting. I'm sure there are spooks from the CIA heading to your
location even as I type.

Run, nestork. Run.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03[_4_] View Post
I don't know if this will matter to you or not, but I wanted to mention
something about the "image" links that you post. In both this thread and
the thread entitled "Supplying Water to Toilet from Gravity Feed Tanks"
you provided links enclosed in brackets [] and starting with the string
"image:"

I was wondering if you add the string and the brackets or if your
newsreader does.
I add them. But, I don't type "[image]", I put "[img]" immediately before and "[/img]" immediately after the URL of the image I want to include in my post.

If you go to the very bottom of this page, you should see a little box which has this text in it:

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

vB code is On

If you click on the "[IMG]" link in that box, it will show you how to use those "[img]" and "[/img]" codes to post images.

The vBulletin codes are for changing your text by underlining it, making it bold or in italics or changing the size or colour of the text.

Smilies are for pasting happy face expressions into your posts.

Quote:
I know it's my issue, not yours, but since a.h.r doesn't support images,
if you are trying to get the images to display in your post by manually
by adding the string and brackets, it's not going to work. In addition,
it messes up some (well, at least my) newsreader.
So, are you saying that no one else can see the images I'm including in my posts?

I thought everyone could see them. I can see them when I review my posts after editing them.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
However, you have ruined our current administrations plans to invade
Canada. The "Northwest Angle" was going to be his command center for
the invasion.
There has only been one war fought in anger between our two great nations; the War of 1812.

I don't think the Canadians in here need to remind our American friends that Canada WON that war.

Maybe think about that before you mess with Canada again.

Last edited by nestork : July 5th 13 at 12:54 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It's only looking at the beginning http to form a link, so it could be
anything on the end. Unless you specify

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07-04-2013 11:20, nestork wrote:
Most people have never heard of the Northwest Angle. So far as I know,
it's the only place where the southern 49 contiuous states extend north
of the 49th parallel.

You are correct. But it's not the only part of the 48 that you have to
get to by water or by Canada.

Ask Google maps to show you "98281"

See also Long Slough, KY and zoom out a little.

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
€” John F. Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07-04-2013 13:50, EXT wrote:
I understand that there was also some confusion as the the actual border
between New York state and Quebec province until it was final surveyed
and the actual line determined.

Due to contradictory acts of Congress, both Indiana and Michigan claimed
a strip less than five miles wide. They were going to actually go to
war over it when at the last moment Congress voted that the Indiana
claim was correct.

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
€” John F. Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:14:15 AM UTC-7, micky wrote:
snipped...
What are goat-heads?

I live in the So Cal High Desert where the goat head vines seemingly are plentiful and come up wherever they can. Simple enough to defeat these ground crawling buggers if you keep watch for their tiny green leaves and yellow flowers. Get yourself a Hula Hoe. Immediately scout around for all the young ones you can find to a ground lever tear-out of those, but the larger/older ones may need a bit of a dig out. If allowed where you are. let the pile of cut-outs sun dry out and burn them. After you've cleared all plants out being sure to also watch for and rake up and be rid of any already fallen dead-heads, make regular scouting ventures to hula hoe up your elder plants' babies that certainly can be normal trash bin disposed of (instead of burning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:59:59 PM UTC-4, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 07-04-2013 11:20, nestork wrote:

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible

will make violent revolution inevitable.

— John F. Kennedy

Violently overthrow the goddamned US government.
I demand the inquisition device out of my back the Reagan administration stuck there.

Major Goat J T Woodworking 15 October 4th 06 12:02 AM
Minor Goat Gerald Ross Woodworking 4 August 14th 06 06:10 PM
Major Goat Al Woodworking 1 August 13th 06 01:23 AM
goat glands [adding power cross/down feeds] F. George McDuffee Metalworking 2 July 28th 05 08:13 AM
INSPIRATION - J.D. GOAT WAGON J T Woodworking 1 November 11th 04 01:48 AM