Posted to alt.home.repair

Default In a normal pool, does anything *mix* the water to aid the filter?

On 7/5/2013 12:42 PM, ChairMan wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jul 2013 16:29:11 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

Most of that description above went over my head, but, it
doesn't
seem like they're as big a fan of the stuff as your
friend is. I
think they concluded it only works when the chlorine
isn't working
because of high conditioner levels. The cheapest
solution, one would
think, would be to simply reduce the conditioner levels
(by draining
a bit & refilling).

Fungicide , Algaecide:

Your link speaks to "Pest": Slime , Black algae , Algae
, Green
algae , Mustard yellow algae

Pool stores will sell a product for each problem, I think,
er they do.

I would not use bromine and chorine together for an long
period. I was
speaking about what Fred said :-\

They will sell you all kinds of algaecides, but until you
eliminate the phosphates, you'll continue to have algae
problems
I've ben using a phosphate remover for 3-4 yrs now and have
never had a problem with algae since using it
YMMV

Yeah. Same here unless my chlorine and PH wander off.

PR-10000 has made my life much simpler at a fraction of the cost of Phos
Free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2013 5:44 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:44:48 PM UTC-4, gonjah wrote:
On 7/4/2013 5:29 PM,
wrote:

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:50:22 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 15:03:12 -0500, gonjah wrote:

I don't have a safety drain.

Yikes.

If the cover comes off, that single drain becomes dangerous.

Here's a quote:

http://voices.yahoo.com/6-year-old-g...ls-430033.html

"Most newer pools have multiple drains so less suction is created

if one opening is blocked. Older pools with single drains present a

greater hazard. According to the Press, drain suction is typically

300 pounds per square inch and can actually trap swimmers under water,

causing them to drown, even with others pulling on them to break the suction.

The Tribune says that the commission reported 74 cases of body entrapment,

including 13 deaths, in a 2005 report that dated back to 1990. The

commission's report found that most of the deaths occurred when a

child's hair became entangled in the drain grates, and the children

drowned. Two other cases involved children who were disemboweled;

both children survived. Additionally, the commission's report says

that when a "child's buttocks cover the drain opening, the resulting

suction force can eviscerate the child through the ruptured rectum.

A small change in pressure is sufficient to cause such injury extremely

quickly. If the grate or cover is unfastened, broken or missing, the

potential for incident exists."

Like I said, pool here has two skimmers, one bottom drain. So,

how is someone going to get stuck?

The only stories I've heard about were in small kid wading pools or

spas. But even with relief those things can generate some suction. I

wouldn't want to test it. It's possible for the skimmer and the drain to

be plugged at the same time. How often do you fine toys in the skimmer?

I do every time the kids are over.

A heavyset girl died at a spa 1/4 mile from my house back in the 90s.
They were having a high school graduation party, there were teachers
present. She got stuck on the bottom drain and no one there knew
how to shut it off. Turns out the switch was back at the breaker
panel, ie another room somewhere. By the time they figured it out,
she had drowned. Even people pulling, apparently they were unable
to get her off. Two very bad design elements, single intake and
no shut-off that was nearby and marked.

I'm going to put a sign on mine this weekend. Thanks. Good post.