Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Google Groups Double Spacing - Report Submitted

I am forced to use Google Groups at work because I can not install any software on my Corporate Imaged machine. Therefore a news reader is out of the question.

Up until very recently, I was able to force my browser to use the old GG, which did not have the double spacing issue that many members have been complaining about. It now appears that the old GG is gone and I have to use the new GG. I do not recall seeing the double spacing issue in the old GG, but I sure am seeing it now.

The new GG has a feature that allows the users to capture a section of the screen and send it to Google in a problem report. I did that this morning, copying a post that displays the multiple quoted line symbols (), blank lines and double spacing. I included a comment that the issue is reflecting poorly on Google, especially from hardcore usenet veterans.

I don't know if it will help, but since I am one of those that is "causing" the complaints, I figured that it was my responsibilty to report it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I am forced to use Google Groups at work because I can not install
any software on my Corporate Imaged machine.

If I was your employer, I'd fire your ass for dicking around with usenet
on company time instead of doing the work I'm paying you to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Putting aside the aspect of accessing usenet on company time which I
assume you are doing at lunch time or on breaks, if you have the
ability to use a USB drive then there are no-install newsreader
programs that will give you access to the usenet server you normally
use. You could use no-install versions of Thunderbird, Opera and
several other programs. I have figured out how to use Xananews from a
USB drive. Google Groups may or may not fix their system, but don't
let that keep you from using usenet with a better program.

Now if someone can show me how to make Google Groups show fixed font
when using my smartphone that would be useful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 11:04:07 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

No installation of software and no use of external media. USB ports have been disabled except for power so that we can at least charge our cell phones.

Now if someone can show me how to make Google Groups show fixed font

when using my smartphone that would be useful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 07:04:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I see the double spacing in another group I r ead and it's
annoying there two, especially when it becomes quadruple spacing.

And especially because several people there post from home but still
can't master getting a newsreader. One of them emailed me that she
doesn't have one, when I 'm sure she does have Outlook Express, and I
post periodicially about what works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I am forced to use Google Groups at work

And as you say, you're posts are showing up double-spaced.

Doesn't explain why you're a full-quoter though. Presumably google lets
you trim/edit the amount of quoted material in your replies.

I guess it doesn't take much effort to oversee the trading algos at Dean
Witter when you have so much time to read/post to usenet.

What Russel-3000 most-shorted are you going to levitate today?
Posted to alt.home.repair

why

do

you

need

read

usenet

at

work?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, your boss insists that you use Google Groups, and he's forcing you to use GG?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

I am forced to use Google Groups at work

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 10:04:41 AM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Just testing a send post from gg don't see double spacing so I'll just keep typing to see what happens when posted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2013 3:40 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Not seeing problem.
Can sympathize with op because I have a clients computer like this in my
house and if I access the internet have the same limitations.
Not on company's dime as if personal I don't charge for the time.

Stuck with an old 15 inch CRT monitor and have a spare 19 inch LCD but
damn thing won't work on the machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I HATE THE NEW GOOGLE GROUPS FORMAT, and it bugs me so much i may quit reading and posting completely.......

the old groups served me just fine.........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 3:03:05 PM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
I HATE THE NEW GOOGLE GROUPS FORMAT, and it bugs me so much i may quit reading and posting completely.......

the old groups served me just fine.........

The old groups showed you WHO wrote each email, so you could pick and choose to read going down. Now, no idea and have to wade through ALL of them, ....or not

Plus, new format takes over an hour total per day [start, wait, start, wait etc but try to do some other stuff during those wait periods]

Being on dial-up takes 6 minutes just to list the newsgroups subscribed to. Then the thing plays havoc with Opera, so have to play 'games' like erase, start over to get the screen to fill in, or click on the arrow that removes the side colum of information, then click to put it back, else never see ANY postings in that thread!

I'm sure it would work great with 100MB/s access running google chrome on a Windows 7, or something wasteful like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2013 03:03 PM, bob haller wrote:
I HATE THE NEW GOOGLE GROUPS FORMAT, and it bugs me so much i may quit reading and posting completely.......

the old groups served me just fine.........

It's almost as if that is there intention - to force you to go to a
moderated group riddled with their advertising content.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

It's not any better on a high speed network and Google Chrome under Win 7.
The same problems with screens not filling in, etc. It seems to have gotten
worse over the past few days, perhaps because more and more people are
being forced to use it and it can't handle the load.

Even when it is working, I have yet to find one thing about it that makes
it better than the old GG. Maybe it does have a lot of new newsgroup
management related features, but for simple reading and responding it's
considerably worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I am forced to use Google Groups at work because I can not install
any software on my Corporate Imaged machine.

If I was your employer, I'd fire your ass for dicking around with usenet
on company time instead of doing the work I'm paying you to do.

I used to use usenet and the Internet in general at work to find answers to
specific problems. A lot of the answers were on usenet. This included
searches in the usenet archives using google search. If I could not find an
answer, sometimes I would ask the question. I also had repair databases for
things like VCR's and computer monitors.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2013 4:14 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

The old groups showed you WHO wrote each email, so you could pick
and choose to read going down. Now, no idea and have to wade through
ALL of them, ...or not

I did an archive search a couple days ago. I didn't find a way to get
the tree view panel on the left. Is that what you are talking about - is
there any way to display it? Tree view is one of the major useful
features of newsreaders.
Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I am forced to use Google Groups at work because I can not install
any software on my Corporate Imaged machine.

If I was your employer, I'd fire your ass for dicking around with
usenet on company time instead of doing the work I'm paying you to
do.

I used to use usenet and the Internet in general at work to find
answers to specific problems. A lot of the answers were on usenet.

If DerbyDad's employer (Dean Witter in NYC) thought that there was
anything useful on usenet (assuming they even knew what usenet was)
they'd let him configure his e-mail client for usenet access - or
install a separate usenet client on the computer in his cubical.

Anything he needs to know as part of his work that is out there on the
internet that isin't part of his trading platform can be found on drudge
or zerohedge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:09:38 AM UTC-7, bud-- wrote:
On 7/1/2013 4:14 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

The old groups showed you WHO wrote each email, so you could pick
and choose to read going down. Now, no idea and have to wade through
ALL of them, ...or not

I did an archive search a couple days ago. I didn't find a way to get
the tree view panel on the left. Is that what you are talking about - is
there any way to display it? Tree view is one of the major useful
features of newsreaders.

Possibly. On my screen there's a panel down the left that displays 'useless' information, completely unrelated to what I'm doing. But it's necessary to have the panel there. Why? because when I try to slide the roll bar to view postings lower, off the screen, the panel suddenly, and irrevocably, starts moving to the left. without the panel to disappear, about an inch of important information gets lopped off all the postings with a nice blank white band down the right side, again no way to recover once the shifting occurs.

When I click on a thread to view the postings, I open in new tab. Several minutes later, after presenting a constant blank screen, ZAP, the screen fills with ...nothing. so click on arrow near top to remove 'imaginary' panel, postings all appear at the left edge - properly. But, then have to click again on tiny arrow to return the panel, shift the postings to the right, and have enough 'buffer' so that as I slide down the thread; and the display shifts to the left making the panel disappear I can still read the postings..

I hate the 'new' software that keeps everything blank until finished. I remember seeing text telling you what was ocming, then it filled in, and if you didn't want that view, you could go to the next and not have to wait But, now, blank until finished, not what I wanted, blank until finished, not what I want and so on wasting time. Much like this railing at google.

I hope you find the little arrow that makes the panel appear, there is some kind of info there, but for me it is so delayed and out of date for what's going on it's only useful as that viewing buffer.

google groups Weatherlawyer UK diy 15 September 17th 12 11:55 PM
Google groups help Sonnich Jensen Woodworking 15 August 14th 12 02:54 AM
wtf with google groups? Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:10 AM
All Kids One from Google's Gmail Plus there Google Groups [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 22nd 07 05:28 PM
New google Groups: Somewhat OT [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 4th 04 04:55 PM