Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Google groups help

This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 23:49:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonnich Jensen
wrote:

This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help

??? You just did post to rec.woodworking. There's nothing to join.
Some news readers can also search the newsgroups.

Try alt.windows7.general
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not
provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour
trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find
how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

Get to the group (see below) and sign in.

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like
microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

By typing the group name - in whole or part - in the search window.

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help

So choose the option to have the "old look". Better yet, dump Google groups
and post/read through one of the many free news servers.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonnich Jensen wrote:
This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not
provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour
trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find
how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

You should be able to post just by signing in. Did you post this post from
google groups?

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like
microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

From the main window select Browse All (or something like that...), then
type in a search criteria in the Groups window. Type in windows 7 or
something similar.

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help

You can go back to the old look - there is a button on the upper right
corner.

Don't know why anyone would want to post from google groups at all though.
Just get a free or a cheap news service and use that whereever you are.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help

??? You just did post to rec.woodworking. There's nothing to join.
Some news readers can also search the newsgroups.

Try alt.windows7.general

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most groups don't allow outsiders to post. Lucky to be able to read.

If you are into the subject join. If just kicking tires don't.

Martin in a number of groups.

On 8/11/2012 1:49 AM, Sonnich Jensen wrote:
This is really the wrong place to ask, but since google does not provide any proper help, I have to start here. I have spent an hour trying to get the new google groups to work. It took 1 hout to find how to post.

1) how do I post to a group without joining it?

2) if I want to find a group for windows 7 (something like microsoft.public.... win7) - how can I search for the group name?

I write here as I cannot do anything else. This new look sucks
So does the help

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups? Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups?

He asked about "Google Groups"--which is not quite the same as Usenet
(obviously), althogh many Usenet groups are Googe Groups.

Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?

A group corresponding to a local music non-profit organization that I
was once a member of. Hmm..maybe it's a Yahoo group. If you are still
concerned about the difference I'll look it up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups?

Follow the following link. It will permit you to create a group and
restrict, if you wish, who can post to it.

http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&pli=1

Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?

Make you own (see above)!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:06:27 -0400, Bill wrote:
He asked about "Google Groups"--which is not quite the same as Usenet
(obviously), althogh many Usenet groups are Googe Groups.

Then it was my mistake. I thought he was asking about usenet groups
(like this one).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:06:27 -0400, Bill wrote:
He asked about "Google Groups"--which is not quite the same as Usenet
(obviously), althogh many Usenet groups are Googe Groups.

Then it was my mistake. I thought he was asking about usenet groups
(like this one).

I think there was just confusion about the difference. No prob.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:06:27 -0400, Bill wrote:
He asked about "Google Groups"--which is not quite the same as Usenet
(obviously), althogh many Usenet groups are Googe Groups.

Then it was my mistake. I thought he was asking about usenet groups
(like this one).

I think there was just confusion about the difference. No prob.

....then again their are the moderated Usenet groups where someone (or a few)
screens everything before it's posted. Moderators can be fickle... maybe he
didn't like you. I'd take it personally. ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:57:22 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups? Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?

Any that are .moderated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 23:13:06 -0400, Bill wrote:

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups?

Follow the following link. It will permit you to create a group and
restrict, if you wish, who can post to it.

http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&pli=1

It's not just Google groups. Usenet groups can be moderated, too. My server
shows 68 .moderated groups and they only carry text groups.

Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?

One I used to follow is sci.military.moderated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 18:36:26 -0400, Bill wrote:
SOME groups do require you to join to post. It's up to the
group creator.

Really? Are you talking about usenet newsgroups?

Follow the following link. It will permit you to create a group and
restrict, if you wish, who can post to it.

http://groups.google.com/grphp?hl=en&pli=1

It's not just Google groups. Usenet groups can be moderated, too.
My server shows 68 .moderated groups and they only carry text groups.

Last I checked, there
were over 80,000 usenet newsgroups and I've probably had a look at
over a 1,000 of them. I've never come across one that needed someone
to join it to post.

Perhaps you'd like to list a few of those that need someone to join?

One I used to follow is sci.military.moderated.

Yeahbut most moderated groups do not require you to "join". It's just that
posts are reviewed for content. In fact, in the world of usenet, I've never
seen a moderated group that required one to join the group. Posting was
open to anyone, but all posts were reviewed by the moderators. But then
again - there are a lot of things I've never seen in my life - like my
wife's... well... we won't go there...

--

-Mike-

Google Groups. harry UK diy 7 April 3rd 12 09:46 PM
Google groups Frank Home Repair 28 August 11th 11 06:08 AM
wtf with google groups? [email protected] UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:31 AM
wtf with google groups? Andrew Gabriel UK diy 0 November 28th 09 01:10 AM
New google Groups: Somewhat OT [email protected] Woodworking 1 December 4th 04 04:55 PM