Posted to alt.home.repair

Default B&S 5HP Valve Spring ?

I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression.. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?
Posted to alt.home.repair

IIRC, the exhaust spring is heavier, cause it gets hotter during operation. It's been a couple decades since I took my small engine repair course.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

Senior Member

Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jamesgang wrote:
I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of
compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay
attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve
springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the
same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a
bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying
answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which
valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8229

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 12:52:07 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
jamesgang wrote:

I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of

compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay

attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve

springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the

same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a

bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying

answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which

valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

http://www.perr.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8229

I did find that one too but I also ran into a discussion that claimed the intake spring was sometimes heavier but not reason for it was given.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:38:34 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
IIRC, the exhaust spring is heavier, cause it gets hotter during operation. It's been a couple decades since I took my small engine repair course.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

.

"jamesgang" wrote in message ...

That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.

Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I do remember the spec for valve clearance. And the procedure. Learned this in a small engine repair course. Came in handy one time when I met a mower repairman who lived near me. We got to talking, and he had a customer's mower that was giving him fits. Couldn't figure out what was wrong. I checked valve clearance, and the rest is history.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"jamesgang" wrote in message ...

That does make sense. So far the exhaust is winning. I'm still waiting on rings and gaskets so I don't have to commit yet.

Plus I cleaned up the valves and see that I need to adjust the clearance a little by grinding on the ends of the stems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 17:14:13 +0200, nestork
wrote:

Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I
expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor
power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.

That would be my answer too. If the op acts stupid and humiliated,
that will make it even more fun for the pro to tell him the answer.

I'll bet it's the same for all engines with different size springs.
AFAIK, cars have the same size springs for intake and exhaust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I
expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor
power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.

That would be my answer too. If the op acts stupid and humiliated,
that will make it even more fun for the pro to tell him the answer.

I'll bet it's the same for all engines with different size springs.
AFAIK, cars have the same size springs for intake and exhaust.

Some do, some do not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, Briggs & Stratton 5 HP engines are common on snow blowers, and I

expect rototillers as well, so I expect any place that repairs outdoor

power equipment would be able to tell you for sure.

That would be my answer too. If the op acts stupid and humiliated,

that will make it even more fun for the pro to tell him the answer.

I'll bet it's the same for all engines with different size springs.

AFAIK, cars have the same size springs for intake and exhaust.

Not many places left that repair small engines. Besides I can here to get an actual answer which it did. From the comfort of my home too.

Not all cars do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/29/2013 07:16 AM, jamesgang wrote:
I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of
compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay
attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve
springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the
same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a
bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying
answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which
valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

My WAG would be that the intake spring would be stiffer, because it
needs to ensure the valve shuts regardless of the vacuum in the cylinder.

Complete WAG, though.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:26:02 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 06/29/2013 07:16 AM, jamesgang wrote:
I disassembled a 5hp b&s off an old wards tiller due to lack of
compression. Intake valve was stuck open. But I didn't pay
attention when I took it apart and now I realize that the two valve
springs are not the same size. The lengths of the valves are the
same and both use the same retainer. But one spring is definitely a
bit longer and stronger than the other. And I've found varying
answers while searching the internet as to which spring goes on which
valve. Anyone else run into this and remember?

My WAG would be that the intake spring would be stiffer, because it
needs to ensure the valve shuts regardless of the vacuum in the cylinder.

Complete WAG, though.

Jon

"atmospheric" engines used the vacuum to open the (intake) valve
without aid of a camshaft. The intake valve spring in this case was
very light.