Richard Conway

Default Spring Safety Valve - do I need it?

Hi,

Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Having pondered what to do I thought I would ask the kind chaps here to
see if anyone can come up with any strong reasons why I should go to the
lengths of getting a new one and fitting it.

Thanks in advance,
Ric.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Richard Conway wrote:
Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Sounds more like an air bottle. This is an automatic bleed valve, rather
than a safety type. They've usually got a manual valve to seal them
completely after they've initially vented the air out of the system. After
that, they shouldn't be required.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Richard Conway wrote:
Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Sounds more like an air bottle.

I was picturing the old pressure relief valve on my
parent's heating system, which dates back to when they used
to have a solid fuel boiler. Similar in principle to the
ones used nowadays on sealed systems, but with no knob and
just a set of holes round the top which let the steam out
into the room.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Richard Conway

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

In article ,
Richard Conway wrote:

Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Sounds more like an air bottle.

I was picturing the old pressure relief valve on my
parent's heating system, which dates back to when they used
to have a solid fuel boiler. Similar in principle to the
ones used nowadays on sealed systems, but with no knob and
just a set of holes round the top which let the steam out
into the room.

That was my original thought, but it looks more like this:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=72640

I've just googled this newsgroup and found a couple of relevant threads.
It appears that they were quite common at one time even on vented
systems as it was thought necessary in case the vent pipe became frozen.

Still not sure what to do - I suspect it will probably be okay without
unless anybody else replies with a viable explanation of why I should
put one in.
Set Square

Richard Conway wrote:

That was my original thought, but it looks more like this:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=72640

I've just googled this newsgroup and found a couple of relevant
threads. It appears that they were quite common at one time even on
vented systems as it was thought necessary in case the vent pipe
became frozen.

Still not sure what to do - I suspect it will probably be okay without
unless anybody else replies with a viable explanation of why I should
put one in.

I've never seen one on a vented system. Have you got a copy of the
installation instructions for your boiler? Unless they explicitly say that
you must have one of these valves, I would forget it.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Hi,

Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Having pondered what to do I thought I would ask the kind chaps here to
see if anyone can come up with any strong reasons why I should go to the
lengths of getting a new one and fitting it.

Thanks in advance,
Ric.

If you have removed the safety blow-off valve and plugged it up, DO NOT USE
your boiler at all. Switch it off NOW.

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

Would be nice if you would back that comment up with some reasons why
you beleive the setup to be dangerous.
Aidan

Richard Conway wrote:

Would be nice if you would back that comment up with some reasons why
you beleive the setup to be dangerous.

A new one would probably cost you about =A35; why would you omit it?

It isn't necessary, assuming that the open vent pipe doesn't freeze,
get blocked with limescale, valved off by a fool, and that the boiler
is installed correctly in the first place and that it isn't later
altered to a sealed system.

It is good practice to fit one on a boiler. I can recall a technical
note from my employers, an education authority, some 20 years ago
specifying pressure relief valves on all hot water storage vessels and
boilers, even if they were vented.

Peter Parry

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:04:11 +0100, "Set Square"
wrote:

I've never seen one on a vented system.

I've never seen a vented system without one.

Have you got a copy of the installation instructions for your boiler?

Most if not all certainly used to say you need one in case of any
system malfunction which blocked the overflow. As it is already
there and the cost of replacing it is trivial it scarcely seems worth
not having it compared with the slight but potentially serious risk
of not fitting one.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Ed Sirett

wrote:

I've never seen one on a vented system.

I've never seen a vented system without one.

AFAICT they seem to be included on vented systems when the pipework does
not have a continuously rising vent pipe. This tends to occur on systems
installed in flats.

Ed Sirett

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:49:11 +0100, Richard Conway wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

What Drivel finds dangerous is quite random. In another thread he may well
advocate a dangerous practice whilst in yet another suggest doing a pile
of unnecessary extra work.

In this case I'd be guided by the installation instructions.
Adjustable relief valves are available in the BES catalogue.

Doctor Drivel

news

wrote:

I've never seen one on a vented system.

I've never seen a vented system without one.

AFAICT they seem to be included on vented systems when the pipework does
not have a continuously rising vent pipe. This tends to occur on systems
installed in flats.

They were taken away, in favour of superior boiler controls, as if they blew
off they could in someone's face.

Doctor Drivel

news

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

What dangerous practices are you talking about? cite please.

Richard Conway

Doctor Drivel wrote:
news

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

You have just advised me to replace something which you think may "blow
off" in my face.
Dave Baker

Richard Conway wrote in message
Hi,

Finally got around to looking at a leak near the boiler that has been
annoying us ever since moving in. I removed the offending component
and, having googled, it appears to be a Spring Safety Valve.

Now, having tried to replace like with like but having no luck at the
sheds, I have temporarily stuck a stop end in the place that the valve
used to be. Having thought about it though, I don't see any reason not
to leave it there, as the system is vented so I can't anticipate any
need for a safetly valve.

Having pondered what to do I thought I would ask the kind chaps here to
see if anyone can come up with any strong reasons why I should go to the
lengths of getting a new one and fitting it.

Thanks in advance,
Ric.

I've just done the one on my Potterton which was leaking. Very simple job
though as after removing the cap and spring it turned out that the brass
plunger behind them just took a standard 5/8" tap washer. Maybe yours has
some sort of replaceable washer inside too. If your boiler has a permanently
open vent somewhere else that steam can escape from then the safety valve
should be redundant. My system did have another vent into a loft tank but it
kept overflowing and steaming the loft up so I capped it off a few years
ago.
--
Dave Baker

Doctor Drivel

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:
news

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

If it is in a position there it can blow into someone face. cap it up and
relocate, but it must be near the boiler. Sometimes it is best inside the
case.

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

[...]

The blow-off valve is a last resort in case the open vent is blocked.