Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compost ignites

"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2013 10:23 AM, Oren wrote:
"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

The Dumbassification of America is now fully implemented. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2013 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Compost fires around here all the time with mushroom houses and compost
operations that feed them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:39:30 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 6/25/2013 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:

"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday

morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Compost fires around here all the time with mushroom houses and compost
operations that feed them.

You have houses like this? I thought these were one of a kind -

http://www.zillowblog.com/2011-07-19...n-perinton-ny/
Senior Member

That's not at all surprising to me. The biology by which fungii break down organic matter to make compost is an exothermic one, and leaves and grass clippings can be a good insulator. So, the heat can build up inside a compost heap until the kindling temperature of dry leaves and grass is reached, and you have a fire on your hands.

That's exactly what happened back in the 50's and 60's when linseed oil based paints were common. The chemical reaction by which drying oils react with oxygen to form a solid is an exothermic one. Since modern alkyd and alkyd based polyurethane paints and "varnishes" use exactly that same chemical reaction, it's important to treat any paper towels or rags used to wipe up alkyd paints and polyurethane "varnishes" as "oily rags" so they don't spontaneously catch fire as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 6/25/2013 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Compost fires around here all the time with mushroom houses and compost
operations that feed them.

Hi,
Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:50:24 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 6/25/2013 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Compost fires around here all the time with mushroom houses and compost
operations that feed them.

Hi,
Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.

Wow. How big was that pot?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

My favorite stories when I was doing fire investigations was the Great
Serial Litter Box Arsonist (who wasn't really) and, of course, the time
the swimming pool caught on fire.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Frank wrote:
On 6/25/2013 11:23 AM, Oren wrote:
"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Compost fires around here all the time with mushroom houses and compost
operations that feed them.

Hi,
Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.

Wow. How big was that pot?

Hi,
I really don't know. That was the report from the local media
via FD. Since government reinforced fire code to prevent fire like that.
The fire spread so quick then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:40:24 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Oren wrote:

"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday
morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

My favorite stories when I was doing fire investigations was the Great
Serial Litter Box Arsonist (who wasn't really) and, of course, the time
the swimming pool caught on fire.

~ 400 years ago Natives in south Louisiana saw "fire on the water".
Likely methane gas pockets. Ignited buy lightening strikes?

Today folks blame burning water on "fracking".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 21:23:14 -0400, micky
wrote:

Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.

Wow. How big was that pot?

How much peat was in the pot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.

Wow. How big was that pot?

How much peat was in the pot?

Peat didn't have a pot to pee in. Otherwise he could have put the fire out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Few years ago, condo block burned down in the spring. Empty flower pot
containing peatmoss on the balcony was the cause.

Wow. How big was that pot?

How much peat was in the pot?

Peat didn't have a pot to pee in. Otherwise he could have put the fire out.

Peat an Repeat ran up a hill. Peat fell down. Who was left over?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:23:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

So *thats* why my compost bin has it's own California
compliant automated fire-safety sprinkler system!

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 04:06:02 +0000, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

Peat didn't have a pot to pee in.

Funny you mention peeing into the compost pile.

With all this talk about dripping hose nozzles, I decided to test
my theory of the four reasons women *think* miss the toilet ... so ...
I peed on the relocated compost pile for the past couple of days ...

(The wife, for some strange reason, is using my "old" compost pile
to grow stuff - so I have been relegated to the barren wastelands.)

Lo and behold, everywhere I peed on the new (much more barren) compost
pile, bees flocked.

It's strange, as there isn't a flower petal within 100 feet!

Yet - strangely - the bees are rooting about as if there is sweet
nectar hidden in them thar hills:

I wonder what bees like about wet organic compost?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete and Re-peat went for a walk. Who was with Pete?

How much peat would a peat pot pee, if a peat pot could pee peat?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...
Wow. How big was that pot?

How much peat was in the pot?

Peat didn't have a pot to pee in. Otherwise he could have put the fire out.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

In article ,
"Danny D." wrote:

I wonder what bees like about wet organic compost?

My first question would be could you be diabetic and spilling a lot of
sugar into your urine?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:11:31 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

My first question would be could you be diabetic and spilling a lot of
sugar into your urine?

Interesting. Very interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
Certainly, I provided supporting evidence for the garden-hose nozzle
theory (aka "why women errantly think men can't aim"), but I hadn't
thought about the sugars.

My original hypothesis was that they're attracted to the smell of
urea, which, I had blindly assumed, was similar to some flowers they
must really like as the one spot in a barren plot that has urine
attracts bees by the beehive!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2013 8:24 AM, Country Carpenter wrote:
On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:27:35 PM UTC-4, The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 6/25/2013 10:23 AM, Oren wrote:

"TUPPER LAKE - A fire destroyed a home at 15 East Rounds Ave. Saturday

morning after a compost pile spontaneously combusted."

House photo:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/537577.html

The Dumbassification of America is now fully implemented. o_O

TDD

black piece of ****

I've noticed that a lot of feces is black but most is a shade of brown. ^_^

TDD

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

Danny D. wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:11:31 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

My first question would be could you be diabetic and spilling a lot
of sugar into your urine?

Interesting. Very interesting. I hadn't thought of that.
Certainly, I provided supporting evidence for the garden-hose nozzle
theory (aka "why women errantly think men can't aim"), but I hadn't
thought about the sugars.

Judging from the number of ****ed-on toilet seats I've seen in men's room, you
wife is 100% right.

My original hypothesis was that they're attracted to the smell of
urea, which, I had blindly assumed, was similar to some flowers they
must really like as the one spot in a barren plot that has urine
attracts bees by the beehive!

I wonder what this will do to some poor beekeepers honey crop.

Posted to rec.gardens,alt.home.repair,ba.gardens

That's a thought. He could fill hummingbird feeders?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message m...
In article ,
"Danny D." wrote:

I wonder what bees like about wet organic compost?

My first question would be could you be diabetic and spilling a lot of
sugar into your urine?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Pete and Re-peat went for a walk. Who was with Pete?

How much peat would a peat pot pee, if a peat pot could pee peat?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

She slit the sheet, the sheet she slit, and on the slitted sheet she sits, etc.

..
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...
Wow. How big was that pot?

How much peat was in the pot?

Peat didn't have a pot to pee in. Otherwise he could have put the fire out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, that's impossible for me to even read
silently in my head.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus