Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Odor under kitchen sink

I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was leaking stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any bigger. I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, bite the bullet. Plumber did good job.

However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of the area before returning contents. Put container of baking soda and another of charcoal.

Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix.

What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2013 3:51 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was
leaking stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I
didn't want to get any bigger. I had been catching the
leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, bite
the bullet. Plumber did good job.

However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of
the area before returning contents. Put container of
baking soda and another of charcoal.

Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix.

What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get
rid of, lingering odor?

TIA

HB

Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?

If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the
odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked
into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the
cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).

It would be fairly easy to replace the bottom of the cabinet as long as
you leave enough wood around the perimeter to attach some blocking to so
you'll have something to attach the new bottom to. Once you put in a
strong enough bottom to hold the weight of any contents, you could cover
it with any of a variety of materials to hide the seams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was leaking
stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any
bigger. I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was
ewwwwww! So, bite the bullet. Plumber did good job.

However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of the area before
returning contents. Put container of baking soda and another of charcoal.

Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix.

What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor?

TIA

HB

Bowl of vinegar.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:21:07 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?

If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the
odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked
into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the
cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).

+1

Bore a hole with a spade bit. Pour some sudsy ammonia (full strength),
a cup or so below, use a funnel.

A photo would help to see the pipe fix / cabinet.

Aeration with a fan will also help to dry things out and dissipate the
odor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 24, 2013 6:21:07 PM UTC-7, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 6/24/2013 3:51 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was

leaking stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I

didn't want to get any bigger. I had been catching the

leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, bite

the bullet. Plumber did good job.

However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of

the area before returning contents. Put container of

baking soda and another of charcoal.

Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix.

What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get

rid of, lingering odor?

TIA

HB

Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?

Yes. Under-sink cabinet. I'll post a pic in next few days.

Thanks to all for suggestions. I will try easiest first -- bowl of vinegar.

Then will escalate to Kilz.

Don't think I'll have to bore a hole and pour ammonia, because the leakage was not all over the floor. It was from a tiny hole, which I caught in a vessel.

Yikes! - as I write, I remember there was odor BEFORE I woke up to the situation and placed a vessel! So I hope to hell it didn't soak into wood of bottom.

If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the

odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked

into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the

cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).

It would be fairly easy to replace the bottom of the cabinet as long as

you leave enough wood around the perimeter to attach some blocking to so

you'll have something to attach the new bottom to. Once you put in a

strong enough bottom to hold the weight of any contents, you could cover

it with any of a variety of materials to hide the seams.

Carpentry skills not up to challenge. So hope I can solve problem short of replacing floor of cabinet.

Stay tuned.

Tx to all

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 24, 2013 2:51:19 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:
I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was leaking stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any bigger.. I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was ewwwwww! So, bite the bullet. Plumber did good job. However, some odor lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of the area before returning contents. Put container of baking soda and another of charcoal. Pulled everything out; smelled every item. Nix. What else could I put down there to kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor? TIA HB

You could also spray full-strength Bleach on everything in sight after the other remedies have been tried and had a chance to dry out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2013 2:51:19 PM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:
I had a plumber replace the ancient cast-iron pipe which was leaking
stinky stuff through a very small hole -- which I didn't want to get any
bigger. I had been catching the leakage in a vessel, but smell was
ewwwwww! So, bite the bullet. Plumber did good job. However, some odor
lingers. I scrubbed the hell out of the area before returning contents.
Put container of baking soda and another of charcoal. Pulled everything
out; smelled every item. Nix. What else could I put down there to
kill/absorb/get rid of, lingering odor? TIA HB

You could also spray full-strength Bleach on everything in sight after
the other remedies have been tried and had a chance to dry out.

Also spray strong solution of oxyclean, then fan dry. I got vinegar right
now under sink at campsite trailer. I'll be checking it out. I use 6%
cleaning vinegar.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2013 12:04 AM, gregz wrote:
" wrote:
[...]

I wonder if FebrezeĀ® air freshener and odor eliminator would work? I've
used some of it around the house since we have two dogs and me. It
seemed to work fairly well. It contains an interesting chemical
compound, "Cyclodextrin" which has many uses including odor control.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclodextrin

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can't add information later. That makes Derby Dad crazy.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message ...

Yikes! - as I write, I remember there was odor BEFORE I woke up to the situation and placed a vessel! So I hope to hell it didn't soak into wood of bottom.

Carpentry skills not up to challenge. So hope I can solve problem short of replacing floor of cabinet.

Stay tuned.

Tx to all

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was the odor there before he put the bowl down?

If so, which number post?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ...

Where was this pipe...in a cabinet?

If so, the plywood(?) bottom may have gotten wet and absorbed some the
odor. Worse yet, maybe the gunk got under the cabinet bottom and soaked
into the flooring below. You might have to cut out the bottom of the
cabinet to get to the source (assuming a cabinet is involved).

It would be fairly easy to replace the bottom of the cabinet as long as
you leave enough wood around the perimeter to attach some blocking to so
you'll have something to attach the new bottom to. Once you put in a
strong enough bottom to hold the weight of any contents, you could cover
it with any of a variety of materials to hide the seams.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 24, 2013 11:41:39 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

Cabinets have doors. Doors hide a multitude of sins.

Trying to fix the floor of a cabinet that will be covered with supplies and then hidden behind a closed door might not be a bad place to hone your carpentry skills.

We could walk you through it if it becomes the only remedy.

Good luck!

Minimum distance between a kitchen socket and the kitchen sink? Stephen H UK diy 9 April 4th 12 10:09 AM
Sweet odor from Instant Hot (Not HW Heater) @ Kitchen Sink Scott Townsend Home Repair 3 March 19th 08 01:58 PM
Kitchen Sink Odor lucy Home Repair 6 May 30th 05 06:37 AM
Foul odor from kitchen sink spray hose blu4899 Home Ownership 1 May 8th 04 11:56 PM
kitchen sink problem: want single-flow crosstop deck sink mixer... but height clearance limited james UK diy 6 March 30th 04 02:43 PM