lucy

Default Kitchen Sink Odor

Need advice.. the kitchen sink has started to have a bad odor the past
couple of weeks, on the disposal side.
I have tried the citrus rind thing.. grinding them with a few ice cubes.
I have tried the baking soda and vinegar and then boiling water after it
foams for a bit.
These work for 1-2 days at most.
Anyone else encountered this or have any other suggestions?
tia,
lucy

Speedy Jim

lucy wrote:

Need advice.. the kitchen sink has started to have a bad odor the past
couple of weeks, on the disposal side.
I have tried the citrus rind thing.. grinding them with a few ice cubes.
I have tried the baking soda and vinegar and then boiling water after it
foams for a bit.
These work for 1-2 days at most.
Anyone else encountered this or have any other suggestions?
tia,
lucy

It could be mold growth *inside* the drain piping.
All of the piping and fittings which are *upstream*
of the trap can give off odors. Frequently, soap crud
and grease build up and provide a perfect place for
molds to grow.

Sometimes pouring bleach down will help, but I've found
that the long-term fix is to disassemble and clean out
the pipe sections.

Just one possibility; there may be other causes.

Jim
jdk

Speedy Jim wrote:
lucy wrote:

[...]

i had that problem. i waited till i changed the counter and sink. i also
changed the rubber at the top of the disposal. it looks like when they
get old mold and stuff grow easier inside underneath.
Martin

"jdk" wrote in message
Speedy Jim wrote:
lucy wrote:

[...]

You can clean the underneath side of that rubber splash shield with a bent
baby bottle brush dipped in Clorox. That got rid of the odor for us. Let
it stand for 5-10 minutes before flushing it down.

Ray

I have found that using a brush once and a while to clean the inside walls,
and particularly the upper portion of the garbage disposal will get rid of
bad odors. The cleaning you described does not get the top areas. I also
fill the sink full of water, add a bunch of bleach, pull the plug and let it
drain. This will flood the entire inside of the disposal. Do not rinse - let
the bleach stay on the disposal surfaces for an hour or so.
"lucy" wrote in message
m...
Need advice.. the kitchen sink has started to have a bad odor the past
couple of weeks, on the disposal side.
I have tried the citrus rind thing.. grinding them with a few ice cubes.
I have tried the baking soda and vinegar and then boiling water after it
foams for a bit.
These work for 1-2 days at most.
Anyone else encountered this or have any other suggestions?
tia,
lucy

lucy

Thanks everyone.. it never occurred to me to clean the underside of the
rubber flaps. duh.. that was the problem. Lots of black gunk (mold i guess)
that had that same odor.
Thanks again!
lucy

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
I saturate mine maybe once a month or 2 with lysol disenfectent spray.

m...