Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT/ Canada Going Down the Tubes :)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under
pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,
police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal
scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid
and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls
to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video
that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

Senior Member

Yeah, that was on both the CTV and CBC news today.

For decades there's been whispering that the construction industry in Quebec was in cohoots with the mafia, and a task force to root out all the corruption has been doing a pretty effective job at finding out who's been lining their pockets with money from government construction projects.

The previous mayor was forced to resign about 7 months ago (last November), and his replacement was seen as being clean as a whistle.

But, apparantly, this task force is digging pretty deep, because the two projects that Applebaum was arrested for were done back in 2003.

I guess they figure if he's ever had his hands in the cookie jar, he's dirty, and needs to go.

I'm just glad that they're getting rid of corruption in Quebec politics. It's been going on too long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 23:41:02 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under
pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,
police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal
scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid
and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls
to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video
that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

Please don't tar the whole country with the same brush as Montreal (or
Quebec) or the "big buffoon" in "Toronto the good"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under

pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,

police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal

scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid

and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls

to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video

that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

Please don't tar the whole country with the same brush as Montreal (or

Quebec) or the "big buffoon" in "Toronto the good"

Are you referring to that big bozo alleged cocaine snorter and all-round
big bag of **** Ford? Yah!...he's one for the books, that boy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Roy belched:

wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under

pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,

police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal

scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid

and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls

to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video

that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

Please don't tar the whole country with the same brush as Montreal
(or

Quebec) or the "big buffoon" in "Toronto the good"

Are you referring to that big bozo alleged cocaine snorter and
all-round big bag of **** Ford? Yah!...he's one for the books, that
boy.

i think he is referring to Home Guyg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under

pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,

police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal

scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid

and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls

to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video

that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

Please don't tar the whole country with the same brush as Montreal (or

Quebec) or the "big buffoon" in "Toronto the good"

Are you referring to that big bozo alleged cocaine snorter and all-round
big bag of **** Ford? Yah!...he's one for the books, that boy.

You said it - I didn't - but yes, I'm talking about Toronto's
Pillsbury Doughboy and all round punching bag.
Senior Member

Mayor Ford (I forget his first name) in Toronto is another side show.

What people should recognize, however, is that the people who took bribes in the past are being identified and exposed as being part of the problem. For most of them, being politicians and public servants, that effectively ends their career.

I would be more concerned if the anti-corruption task force didn't find anything wrong and claimed that government corruption in Quebec and Montreal was non-existant. This way, we know that they're going through the books with a fine tooth comb and rooting out all the maggots; including the current mayor of Montreal, who supposedly as the head of the zoning and planning department at the time, received some kickbacks from two apartment blocks that were constructed back in 2003.

That is, the fact that we're doing something about it shows that Canadians won't stand for government corruption if they know about it.

Last edited by nestork : June 19th 13 at 01:58 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:41:02 AM UTC-4, ChairMan wrote:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...95G0GB20130617

Michael Applebaum, whose predecessor resigned under

pressure, faces 14 charges linked to two real estate deals,

police said during a morning news conference.

Applebaum's arrest is the latest in a string of municipal

scandals that have undermined Canada's reputation as staid

and law-abiding. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford is resisting calls

to quit after two media outlets said they viewed a video

that appeared to show him smoking crack cocaine.

I had been considering retiring to Canada to get away from the problems in the U.S. but it looks like you have the same stuff going on. I guess everybody everywhere does, and probably always has.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel314[_2_] View Post
I had been considering retiring to Canada to get away from the problems in the U.S. but it looks like you have the same stuff going on. I guess everybody everywhere does, and probably always has.
We have the same problems, but they're smaller because we only have 1/10 the population of the US. That is, we only have 1/10 of the school shootings, 1/10 of marital relationships ending in murder-suicides, 1/10 of the number of serial killers, and 1/10 of the number of people trying to poison the local city's drinking water supply.

So, you can say life is a bit slower here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nestork wrote:

'Pavel314[_2_ Wrote:
;3081455']
I had been considering retiring to Canada to get away from the problems
in the U.S. but it looks like you have the same stuff going on. I guess
everybody everywhere does, and probably always has.

We have the same problems, but they're smaller because we only have 1/10
the population of the US. That is, we only have 1/10 of the school
shootings, 1/10 of marital relationships ending in murder-suicides, 1/10
of the number of serial killers, and 1/10 of the number of people trying
to poison the local city's drinking water supply.

Maybe fewer serial killers. It j
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe